• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing fairing brace?

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
I was walking by my old frame and my arm hung up on a little piece of steel sticking out to hold the aft portion of the wing fairing in place. It sticks out about two inches.

The new fuselage is set up for L-21 glass, and does not have the metal piece attached to the upper longeron... am I in trouble?

So the question: Do I need that piece of steel, or can I deal with the fearing in another way? After a couple of years I intend to change wings, and want to extend the flaps, so eventually it would go away anyway...

Thoughts? Experiences? stones to lob?

Thanks guys

I re-did my wings the winter after I did the fuse. I inboarded the flaps so the wing root fairing had to wrap around AHEAD of the flap, so I had to carefully cut that funky brace thingie off. Couple layers of round patches after carefully filing off the sharp edges worked just fine. If you cut that thingie off when you cover your fuse, you'll avoid a couple seams you haft'a make to get the fabric around that thingie. Short flaps will look funny (4" gap to the fuse) but the end result will be much cleaner. (I ASSume you're not certified)

Do a good job George, I'll be checking! :)

I was walking by my old frame and my arm hung up on a little piece of steel sticking out to hold the aft portion of the wing fairing in place. It sticks out about two inches.

The new fuselage is set up for L-21 glass, and does not have the metal piece attached to the upper longeron... am I in trouble?

So the question: Do I need that piece of steel, or can I deal with the fearing in another way? After a couple of years I intend to change wings, and want to extend the flaps, so eventually it would go away anyway...

Thoughts? Experiences? stones to lob?

Thanks guys

They saved you the eventual work of snipping it off :)

stock wings and flaps going back on this bird... can I do it without that do-dad?

But will have L-21 glass.

Charley Center sells a real nice complete kit to extend the flaps in to the fuselage, as part of his leading edge cuff kit. I'd suppose he'd sell it separately? Goes together real quick but the wings need to be hung on the fuselage to adjust the inboard flap rib. Easy enough to do when putting the uncovered wings on the uncovered fuselage for rigging and check everything for fit-up. Maybe even quicker than fiddling with that extended fairing?

Now I am ticked off...

I assume that I must weld these on:evil::evil:

so much for powder coat being undisturbed.:evil::sad:

This isn't a good picture from their site but it doesn't look like the part is there.
Fueslage mods 021.jpg

Maybe you could make an aluminum box that would screw to the 3/8" channel and provide enough support to hold the tension of the wing root fairing.

So why don't you just make up one in the shape of a "T"? The "T" can be a split tube which could be clamped to the fuselage with some small clamps. Place some electrical tape under the clamps. Won't damage the powder coat. And can be removed, if you later decide to extend your flaps. The only welding will be on the removable"T". This is only secondary structure and at the most a minor alteration.

Back