• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Owyhee Lake in Eastern Oregon?

8GCBC

Oahu
Hello Everybody:

Can we operate off Owyhee Lake in Eastern Oregon with a seaplane legally? There is no info in current online SPA Water Flying Directory?

Really love that place and I known people have operated there, but has anything changed? Just planning my summer vacation.

Thank you.

--8GCBC

A lot has changed. Namely that the BLM is wise to people landing illegally within the Wild and Scenic River corridor and within Wilderness Study Areas. Probably want to check on which strips are actually opened, and understand that illegal landings are going to be costly on your wallet and your record.

A lot has changed. Namely that the BLM is wise to people landing illegally within the Wild and Scenic River corridor and within Wilderness Study Areas. Probably want to check on which strips are actually opened, and understand that illegal landings are going to be costly on your wallet and your record.

My question "legally". Sound like you have a problem with the area? Please explain yourself... who are you?

As always your going to need to find out who is the controlling agent for the lake I know the "army corps of engineers" handles a lot of them, don't know about Owyhee.
good luck
DW

Wild and Scenic is likely worse than a troll. Probably an Oregon based BLM officer who is checking up on you or an individual scoping the sight for perceived illegal activity... I wouldn't expect any insight. When I went into the BLM office a few years ago to get educated where I could and couldn't land, the folks there were really nice. However NO ONE could give me any specifics about what was open and what was closed. Lots of individual areas which were controlled by individual administrators with their own sets of rules. So while they couldn't tell me what was off limits, I got the same warning that I would suffer the consequences if I went astray. This kind of BS to a guy who is trying to do the upfront research on the regs is what frustrates me... How can an agency be so vindictive with enforcement when they can't even get their heads out of their hind ends far enough to figure out what rules they are trying to enforce, let alone educate the public.
8GCBC, I would talk with Steve Burak who is the local SPA guy. I believe the resevoir is again open after all the hysteria from corps of engineers lakes a few years back, but upstream from the reservoir is closed to motorized craft for certain, by my understanding. BTW, Steve runs the fuel service at Emmett, ID, so you should be able to look him up that way.
WaS, I will welcome any chance to apologize for my assumption.

I always plan ahead also.

I don't recall ever landing anywhere that the owner/management was in disagreement. I take pride in proper/legal flight planning, it is part of the fun.

My airplane is painted like a Citabria not an Apache helicopter going to war.

Mr. DW and Mr. Matt 7GCBC; thank you for reconfirming proper application of the priviledges to fly general aviation in this country.

-- 8GCBC

Back