• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking for Supp. Flt Manual for 180HP Conversion....

Pat

New Richmond, WI.
Need a copy of a Supplemental flight manual for Jensen 180HP conversion for PA-18, STC: sa36rm
Thanks!
Pat

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that but didn't see any reference to the Supplemental flight manual for the conversion. Maybe I missed something...

Back on this tread again. I am also looking for a copy of the SA36RM Flight Manual suplment. I got a project plane a while back and am getting close to finishing it up and just relized that the Flght Manual I got with the aircraft was just a generic copy nothing spacific to the plane so I am trying to get it all back together.

Some of the above postings are either confusing or incorrect:

Penn Yan used to own two 180 hp STC's SA36RM and SA00035NY. The probably acquired SA36RM to eliminate competition and never actually sold any kits?

As far as I know, they only sold kits for SA35, and then sold this STC to Aviation Product Systems Inc (A-E-R-O).

So I can understand how neither company can provide support for SA36RM.

Don

I understand no one "supports" SA36RM any longer, I have seen several posting of people that have the STC SA36RM installed and are still operating the aircraft, I am hoping I can get a emailed copy of just the Flight Manual Suplument for this STC.
Sad I even have the original bill of sale for the kit but as stated earlier the flight manual I got with the kit did not have the Suplument in it.

Thank you
Dan M.

just realized that the Flight Manual I got with the aircraft was just a generic copy nothing specific to the plane ...

Sad I even have the original bill of sale for the kit but as stated earlier the flight manual I got with the kit did not have the Supplement in it.

Thank you
Dan M.
What is discussed in the flight manual which you do have? Is there any reference to the 180 engine? What makes you feel that you need a flight manual supplement as opposed to just a flight manual? These items are sometimes just a single sheet of paper. Sometimes it may just be some words printed on the STC. Do you have a copy of the STC?

FWIW I believe that if the STC includes a flight manual supplement, it is *supposed to be* carried on board the airplane along with the AFM.
For example, the EAA mogas STC includes a supplement to the AFM, the Petersen STC probably does also, but I suspect a lot of people don't actually have it along in the airplane.

If I think of it I will look at the CC 180 supplement today. I have a set of logs to be delivered.

The thing is, the Super Cub AFM, while necessary, is a joke. It can actually do more harm than good. You could easily add a page of limitations for the 180 hp that would be far more helpful than the original.

I shall try to remember.

I remembered. The Cub Crafters is SA92 NW, and its Flight Manual supplement is CR 101000-5, rev E (2004).

Almost everything in the AFM supplment is also stated in the STC. Normal category, restricted to 1750 gross, two Sensenich and one McCauley props approved. Avoid 2150-2300 RPM with metal prop and hollow crank. Normal Lyc oil instrument markings. Placard required on fuel selector and both tanks.

I had not looked at the weight and balance since the conversion was done, since CC did the weighing. Aircaft weighed in at 1507#. I need to check what CC says is the max - the aircraft has the 2000# kit, but it has to be approved with the CC STC, by the installer. Without that, the useful load is 243 lbs. with it it is 493lbs, or just about the same as a J-3.

That last paragraph is just fyi - has not much to do with anything. I am willing to bet the darn thing cannot be flown within the cg envelope. There is another Cub hereabouts without the 2000# kit, and an empty weight of almost 1300#.

If I get a Super Cub, it will be a stock PA-18-95. I shall skip the mods.

Dan M,
This is a copy of STC SA36RM. Notice that it is only one page. Look at the bottom of the sheet where it says page 1 of 1. There is no reference to a flight manual or flight manual supplement. There is reference to Johnson Aircraft Drawing List dated November 12, 1974 or later FAA approved revision. Do you have these drawings? If so, and there is no reference to a Flight manual or Supplement then there is none required.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/ad7563060284c4ac8625712d005a904c/$FILE/SA36RM.pdf

Alternatively you could contact Penn Yan and ask them.

Last edited:
wow the history of the 180 started with Johnson gave it to Pete then sold to penyan then sold to aero ed's aircraft got a stc coping Johnson adding a 82 prop then sold it to cub crafters

Dan M,
This is a copy of STC SA36RM. Notice that it is only one page. Look at the bottom of the sheet where it says page 1 of 1. There is no reference to a flight manual or flight manual supplement. There is reference to Johnson Aircraft Drawing List dated November 12, 1974 or later FAA approved revision. Do you have these drawings? If so, and there is no reference to a Flight manual or Supplement then there is none required.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/ad7563060284c4ac8625712d005a904c/$FILE/SA36RM.pdf

Alternatively you could contact Penn Yan and ask them.

Not accurate - the STC itself doesn't tell the full story. If you follow the link above to the installation instructions, it does have a section on 'paperwork, and it includes updating the W&B and attaching the AFM supplement.

Aerodon.

There is reference to Johnson Aircraft Drawing List dated November 12, 1974 or later FAA approved revision. Do you have these drawings? If so, and there is no reference to a Flight manual or Supplement then there is none required.

Not accurate - the STC itself doesn't tell the full story. If you follow the link above to the installation instructions, it does have a section on 'paperwork, and it includes updating the W&B and attaching the AFM supplement.

Aerodon.
It would be accurate since you say that the instructions DO refer to a manual.

I dug up a copy of the Flight Manual Supplement from our Super Cub. An early Johnson conversion.
View attachment 30554
I hope this helps

Jim

Wow; I had not seen one of the Supplements for Johnsons conversion before and did not know of the fuel limitation for the left tank where you are not to go below half (9 gal.) as it is "unusable". They must have required that to ensure there was required flow at max power during a steep climb.
Penn Yan has no such limit. You always take off and land with fuel selector on "both".

I sure thought that Dave modified the fuel selector for both positions, but perhaps that came later as a change.

Learn something new every day.

Back