• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

No longer building an airplane!

JayH

NE Iowa
As soon as I get a free day and weather, I'll be flying. I got my Certificate of Airworthiness today on my Smith/TCOW/Backcountry cub. Inspection went very well with some great guys from the FSDO. Great experience, so now on to the next step. I have been building for 6 1/2 years and it is now time to fly. Some details:

Lycoming O360 A1A
McCauley 1A200FA8241 prop
26" Goodyears
4" wider fuselage
Dynon D6
Icom Radio
Garmin Xponder

Nothing fancy, just a basic airplane for fun. Pretty heavy............almost don't want to tell ya. I kept weight in mind, however, for the flying I will do, wanted some creature comforts. Came in at 1277#. Weight and balance worked out well, so hopefully will fly nice.

2.JPG

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    725.7 KB · Views: 289
Jay, I think I met you this summer while flying with Dean Nordsving. Glad you got her done. She is a beauty!!!! Rick

Yes you did Rick. Now I can maybe tag along sometime. You get back this way again, stop in.

Jay

Hey congratulations Jay! Looks like an excellent Cub and I am sure will fly nice. Don't fret about the weight, have you seen how much that new Scout with IO-390 weighs? I believe was pushing 1500 lbs. Anyway, have a ball! I have some test flight cards and also the Van's flight test chapter if you need them. Just PM me your email.

Last edited:
Congrats. Jay nice looking bird injoy, bring her out to JC this year so we can all take a look.

DW

Wonderful, here's hoping it flies perfectly. I'm hoping for first flight on my 12 rebuild within the week. I bet you're as anxious as I am!

nothing wrong with the weight,you will get of any strip that is safe.good luck and congratulations.

Congrat's Jay!! With your HP : weight ratio you'll be just fine (& have your creature comforts!) 6.5 yrs, wow you must be glad as well as proud. :)
Don't tell Cafi how long it took, she'll think it's OK. :)
Good on ya.

Nothing fancy, just a basic airplane for fun. Pretty heavy............almost don't want to tell ya. I kept weight in mind, however, for the flying I will do, wanted some creature comforts. Came in at 1277#. Weight and balance worked out well, so hopefully will fly nice.

View attachment 4361

You spent 6.5 years building but will spend much more than that flying--go ahead and be comfy :)

Congrats!!

Congratulations Jay. I have been wondering how you were getting along. At least you will have some cooler weather to do your test flying.

Looks pretty darn nice to me! If you are up in northern MN please 'do drop inn'. ;)

Thanks to all, I'll keep you posted. I definitely have a list of places to go and things to do once out of phase 1. That list is why I started building, so now time to get going. I have to say to all past, present, and future members of SC.org that this project would not have happened without all of the resources and folks on this site. I absolutely can't thank all the folks enough that have helped me out and had suggestions, ideas and answers. I can't even list all the people that I have had contact with throughout this build and would hate to miss someone. Hopefully I will be able to return the favors in some way, shape or form. Again, huge thanks to all and I will keep you posted on the flight progress.

Jay Hansen

Ha, you tricked me with that title.

That is such good news! Believe me, I know how good it feels. Hope to catch you at a flying this year.

Good job Jay! Don't worry about it being too heavy, it will still fly darn nice. Will we see it at NH next year?

Jim

Jay,
That is Awesome, Your Bird is going to fly Great, I have to thank you as well for the help you have given to me on my project, Hope to Catch up with You some day, Congratulations To You and Have FUN !!!!!

Rick 8)

Jay

Great news and a huge CONGRATULATIONS. Now the other fun begins. Hope to see it and you in the future.

Bill

Back