• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

prop dealer info

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
What is a good name for a place to buy a McCauly 1A200HFA8040? Looking for a good used or new for Lyc 0-360. I have done a search on here and came up with a couple names, Jim Fix in NE? Dont have a phone number.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Jim Fix, Fix Prop Shop, 3710 Air Park Rd, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68525, 402-470-2346 Check out the video review of a Borer 82" 41" he supplied and tweaked for me: http://youtu.be/bkCYprPJSOc Great service the prop is very smooth. If you buy it from him, he has it shipped to him from the factory and refines the tolerences to better than factory and ships it to you. Very fair price, very timely.

John

Jim might not be the cheapest but he will check and correct the angles to a closer tolerance than McCauley and you will feel the difference. Far better quality of work than the big prop shops. I believe it is just he and his wife so he does everything himself.

I can vouch for Jim . You really can feel the difference.
I've had two of his props.
.....Mike

You would be hard pressed to find a better prop man, honest and about as nice a fellow around. Also has a company that sell the high end seat foam (memory foam for lack of better word)

Jeff

McCauly 1A200HFA8040? Looking for a good used or new for Lyc 0-360. Jim

Just curious. What is this new prop going to accomplish? I have done some flight testing with 80" props on Lyc O-320 engines. An 8040 would have nowhere near enough pitch to keep from over speeding a 150hp engine. I would speculate that it would be more so with a O-360.

Got a guy who wants to buy my Scout and change out the constant speed for a fixed pitch to tug gliders. I agree, I think the pitch should be higher. Not having much luck with other than new which is big$$$$. Part of the problem is I think this prop is only used on a Scout.

Jim

Lower maintenance cost. Much less for a prop overhaul and no governor to overhaul. In commercial operations these would be required
on both an hour and calender basis, which ever came first. Lower cost=more profit for the same work.

Tim

bat443 wrote: In commercial operations these would be required
on both an hour and calender basis, which ever came first

Howerver in glider tow operations, the towplane operates under Part 91, rather than the more rigid Part 135 maintenance requirements. But on a tug, it's either max climb on tow, or descending, no performance advantage to a CS prop, and the maintenance is a lot more.

The last large glider tow operation running Scouts was the Fisher Agency, contractor to the US Air Force Academy. They ran the 1A-200-HFA-80/39; factory "stock" pitch was 80/41. Bear in mind this was at 7000 MSL, with high density altitudes much of the year. I ran the same 80/39 for many years at 5500 MSL with good results.

Thanks. cubscout

Back