• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Wheels and Brakes

NC7972H

I am looking for some direction to replace my original brakes on a PA-12 with something better. Talked to Univar about their Cleveland retro and it is a possibility, but I am concerned about a double puck brake with my new master cyls. Has anyone had recent experience with Skybound-Bodell? Any other suggestions ?

Cleveland double puck and Steve's booster mod to original scott frame. They work great.

I've had ZERO luck in getting bearing shields for my Bodell wheels and brakes. If there is a source I'd be delighted, but the possibilities I have thought I've had, including Skybound and privately on this site have not panned out. I like the Bodell wheels and brakes a lot, except that maintenance parts are an issue.

Again, if there is a source for the bearing shields, PLEASE let me know, cuz I REALLY need some.

What brand are your new master cylinders? Are you talking about piper rubber diaphragm type?

Wow! I just noticed that you have 4.25 billion more post than I do.... And I have been on this site for nine years....and you, only nine months.....very impressive, almost half a billion post per month.....

Last edited:
My Decathlon has single puck brakes, like the J-3, Mooney, Cherokee Arrow, and others. Cheaper to reline, and they can lock the wheels when I need it. Double Puck are for the big tire crowd. Opinion.

Are the Bodell seals like the Hayes? Those you can make out of thick felt. Assuming they still make felt?

Bodel brakes work well but parts can be a problem. I have a friend with a PA12, Dakota Cub master cylinders and Grove wheels and brakes.He says the work fine. He is not an off airport kinda guy.

I spoke with Grove and they do not have a certified wheel for the PA-12. They are working on and STC but it will be a while due to the time the FAA takes to approve. I am talking with the local FAA about a field approval for the 4 inch split wheel (like Cleveland).

Thanks for your reply. I have heard that the double puck brake effectiveness can be a problem. Don't want to end up on the nose since I just rebuilt the PA-12 after a wheel failure (Goodrich) that resulted in a damaged the wing and prop. I will look into this Univar STC more thoroughly.........

Thanks for your reply. I am going to call Skybound today to determine if they still sell the wheel/brake STC. My friend has a PA-12 with the Bodell wheels and brakes and likes them too but he has not needed parts so this could be an issue if they are not available.

I spoke with Grove and they do not have a certified wheel for the PA-12. They are working on and STC but it will be a while due to the time the FAA takes to approve. I am talking with the local FAA about a field approval for the 4 inch split wheel (like Cleveland).

http://burlac.com/ is grove STC'd under his pma, didn't see an approved model list at first glance, might have to call him

... I have heard that the double puck brake effectiveness can be a problem. Don't want to end up on the nose .........

if you want softer brakes, you just don't fill the masters/boosters all the way up... (this only works on original or booster style http://www.airframesalaska.com/otherproducts.htm , not the new self filling ones(steves & dakota)

that is what I do with most of my rebuilds if a guy is going from original brake masters to the booster ones... kinda like training wheels on a bike...

Last edited:
BASIC MODEL
MODEL DETAIL
NAME
TCDS
J3C (All models including Army and Navy versions)
J3C-40; J3C-5O; J3C-50S; J3C-65 (Army L-4, L-4A, L-4B (Navy NE-1), L-4H, L-4J (Navy NE-2); J3C-65S
Cub
A-691
J3F (All models including Army L4-D)
J3F-50; J3F-50S; J3F-60; J3F-60S (Army L- 4D); J3F-65; J3F-65S
Cub
A-692
J3L (All models including Army L4-C)
J3L; J3L-65 (Army L-4C); J3L-65S;
J3L-S
Cub
A-698
J4 (All models)
J4; J4A; J4A-S; J4E (Army L-4E);
Cub Coupe
A-703
J5 (All models including AE-1, HE-1, and Army versions)
J5A (Army L.4F); J5A-80; J5B (Army J-4G); J5C;
Cruiser
A-725
J4E and Army L-4E
J4E; Army L-4E
Cub Coupe
A-740
PA-11; PA-11S;
PA-11; PA-11S;
Cub Special
A-691
PA-12 and PA-12S
PA-12; PA-12S;
Super Cruiser
A-780
PA-14
PA-14
Family Cruiser
A-797
PA-15
PA-15
Vagabond
A-800
PA-16 and PA-16S
PA-16; PA-16S;
Clipper
1A1
PA-17
PA-17
Vagabond
A-805
PA-18 and PA-19 (All models including Army versions)
PA-18; PA-18 “105” (Special); PA-18 “125" (Army L-21A); PA-18 “135" (Army L-21B); PA-18 “150"; PA-18A; PA-18A “135 "; PA-18A “150”; PA-18AS “125”; PA-18AS “135"; PA-18AS “150”; PA-18S; PA-l8S “105” (Special); PA-18S “125"; PA-18S “135”; PA-18S “150”
Super Cub
1A2
PA-18A (Restricted) (all versions)
PA-18A (Restricted); PA-18A “135” (Restricted); PA -18A “150" (Restricted);
Super Cub
AR-7
PA-20 (all versions)
PA-20; PA-20 “115”; PA-20 “135"; PA- 20S; PA-20S ”115”; PA-20S “135"
Pacer
1A4

For Brakes on the 12 with 1.5" Axles the 199-62 kit is STC'd and recommended if you are ever thinking about going with Bushwheels or anything larger than 850's if you have 1.25" axles then the 199-71 kit is the way to go. The only issue we have found with the Grove kits is they are not compatible with Cleveland so if you are ever in a pinch somewhere there is a very large amount of Cleveland parts on the hangar shelf that will work to get you home ....

I have flown a -12 with 6" wheels that were not Cleveland brakes. They were either Bodell or Hayes. I thought that they were mushy and really didn't seem that great. The tires were definately smaller than 850s but I can't remember which size they were.

Re: hotshott - as far as I can tell, the Grove brake is interchangeable with the Cleveland 30-19. In fact, I have to be careful with the pieces if I am pulling pistons out of both at the same time. It is not legal to interchange, but if you are caught in the middle of nowhere and the O ring gives out, it is the same part.

The advantage of Grove, in addition to being less expensive, is that it fits the original 8:00x4 wheel, and I believe Robbie has them used in stock - not sure. If you need Bushwheels, then the 1 1/2" axle and Cleveland double-pucks are what you want. If you are operating on airports almost all the time, the big wheels and brakes are for looks only, since they will decrease your performance in all things except landing rollout. Nothing wrong with looking like a bush pilot; it is a choice some make.

I am sold on reservoir style master cylinders, and am running the Grove masters under a field approval. Pedals are always at the same spot, and can be finessed if you want. Disc brakes are good at variable braking - it takes pressure to lock them up, but if you just caress the pedals you get what you want.

Hey guys,
I just wanted to add an update to this thread. Since it was last posted Grove has done amazing things. The Grove 600x6 conversion for basically any Piper including the pa-12 is a no brainer. In my opinion they beat Cleveland and Airframes Alaska. The Grove STC is basically the same as the previously noted plus they allow 8.50x6 and the Goodyear 26x10.5x6. I have not found another STC that does that or found an STC to allow 8.50’s on the pa-12. Not to mention Grove is the cheapest. I talked to the owner of Grove and they also offer your option of aluminum or magnesium. Again…more for less. No brainer

Wow! Ten years ago!
Last year I installed the 6:00 Grove STC kit on the instructional J-3. My partner wanted 26" Goodyears.

The kit is flawless. I think it took two hours start to finish. I kept the hydraulic lines to the 8:00 x4 system, so it looks a bit piecemeal down there - I may convert back, since it is a mortal sin to run anything other than an 8:00x4 on a J-3.

Long story short - my partner fell out of love with the 26" tires and I slammed on some 8:00x6. Running them at 30 psi makes the J3 very nimble on the ground. Very happy!

Back