• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electroair Announces Electronic Ignition System STC for 4-Cyl Lycomings

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I got this announcement today. Looks interesting for the certified crowd.

Electroair Announces STC for 4-Cyl Lycomings

STC for Electronic Ignition System
56.jpg

Howell, MI - Electroair is pleased to announce that is has received an STC for its four cylinder electronic ignition system. This initial STC covers Lycoming four cylinder engines installed on a wide range of airframes. STC information and approved models listed on the Electroair website.

Performance Gains & Wide Range of Aircraft Supported

Significant performance and economy improvements have been documented in use of Electroair's ignition systems, over 2,500 of which have been previously installed in experimental aircraft.

This initial STC covers a wide range of aircraft including Cessnas, Pipers, Grummans, American Champions, Beechcraft, Mooneys and more. Many of you have been waiting for this list to be published. Click here to see the complete list of approved aircraft: Approved Model List
To learn more, go to our website and click on the STC button. Complete installation instructions and technical support information is available. Kits are in stock at the factory or throughout our growing distribution network. Click, call or email if you have any questions.

Last edited:
My engine was purchased as a factory new 160 and is not a conversion.
John

The airframe has been altered by putting a 160 hp engine on it. Miss Daisy is still considered a PA18-150 in the eyes of the FAA. Electroair emailed me back and there STC is approved on a 160 hp O-320 engine.

So what are the advantages of this electronic ignition over what we have on our planes now.

What about prop starting ? I don't think I would ever run a ignition system on a off airport airplane that I couldn't prop start.
Dave

What about prop starting ? I don't think I would ever run a ignition system on a off airport airplane that I couldn't prop start.
Dave

The Carbon Cub doesn't have any mags. It can be prop started, but it's a pain the butt.

Sure looks like a lot of different parts which need to be mounted somewhere. That looks like only one system so that means double what is shown in Steve;s picture. There is not much spare space between the engine and firewall on a Cub.

In Tool Time Tim's system you keep a single mechanical mag with impulse coupling. He has fuel burns side by side with my dual mechanical mags where he burns at least 10% less fuel when we used to be the same.

This system is certified to run along side a standard magneto, preferably with an impulse so starting would not be effected.

The main advantage is variable timing which makes the engine more efficient thus a reduction in fuel burn. Hopefully Michael from Electroair will chime in here.

This system is certified to run along side a standard magneto, preferably with an impulse so starting would not be effected.

The main advantage is variable timing which makes the engine more efficient thus a reduction in fuel burn. Hopefully Michael from Electroair will chime in here.

my question is sorta answered in #1 in the FAQ you post.....

not sure how to word this...
but in my mind, just using one mag option, the variable timing would be like running on one plug per cyl, since only the one plug on the new mag is lighting off earlier in each cylinder..?? party is over(already ignited) in that cyl by time the old mag fires at 25?????

edit: which brings up another thought, so if you only have one of these wouldn't you want it set up to be all top or all bottom plugs for smoothness of the firing?? which would be better?(would be a pain? to do since most of our harnesses are top one side bottom the other..) hmmm maybe they do this already in #9 of the FAQ

Last edited:
After reading the CAFE reports available on the website, I don't see how this system will help us in Cubs much. There is significant improvement at high altitudes and significantly lean of peak mixtures, which requires fuel injection. This is great for efficiency and just what the CAFE folks are interested in.

But, must of us are in carbureted Cubs flying below 10,000 feet and generally operating rich of peak. The standard dual Bendix mags in the reports work fine in this regime, and just as well if not better than the mixed electronic and magneto ignition setup. I assume Slick mags work about the same.

It appears we'd be better off working on better fuel distribution and atomization at partial throttle settings. Any ideas how to do this, and how to measure the results?

btracy: there is no significant weight difference using the mixed system, 1 electronic and 1 magneto, which doesn't require a backup battery.

Since this thread was originally from 2011, what is the verdict on the Electroair electronic ignition system in Cubs? For you guys that have this system, do you like it and would you recommend it? Thanks!

Just my 2 cents worth, I have installed 2 of these 1 in a C-185 and the other in a High country Explorer. Both customers agree there is less fuel burn with the same power settings. Smoother running engines, Cleaner exhaust.The nice feature is that it adjust timing to manifold pressure. The 1 mag which is impulse aids in starting after that its useless by the time it fires theres nothing for it to burn.The spark is a lot hotter from the Elctroair, the spark plug gap is
twice what the standard normally is. I think its a great step forward.

Back