• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rebuilding Flight of Passage - N4971H

JP....Really is this good!

"I regularly take portions of 4711 apart and put them back together so I know where most of the parts go most of the time..... "

You know what John Miller says!

Ha!!! We're midway through the annual (disassmbled and inspected)--took the entire muffler/stacks off to inspect and am replacing the trim cable so there are parts all over Jeremy's hangar. Squawked a whole bunch of minor stuff. Overall the old girl is in superb shape.

Amen to that. We scoped the ECI nickel steel cylinders and are happy to report they look terrific and checked max on compression.

Makes you want to fly it all the way to New Hampshire or maybe St. Louis.
J

Chris, that is great news. A part of aviation history is now yours. I called Rinker this past winter just to tell him how much people are still enjoying his story. It was a joy to visit with him.

Watch out for spraying the dope in the barn....you may do something weird.:lol:

P.M. me or call and I can give you his number, I am sure he would love to visit with you about the project.

David Childs

405 204 7745

Last edited:
It won't leave the Maine force field. No escaping.

It has been known to confuse the borders of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont (it seems to find the WAD with no problem) but clearly needs to head West to meet The Great Stearman Men of The West!

Last edited:
I bought a used Rhino flail mower for my Kubota last summer. Got to talking airplanes with the guy for some reason, come to find out he is the oldest Buck brother. He ended up being a back to the land, move to the woods of Maine to homestead kind of guy. Subsequent divorce, and is selling all his good stuff.
He said he had great memories growing up around airplanes. I also remember him saying his brother didnt make much money off the book.

Jim

It has been known to confuse the borders of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont (it seems to find the WAD with no problem) but clearly needs to head West to meet The Great Stearman Men of The West!

Jeff, are you planning on making a trip out here?

Jeff, are you planning on making a trip out here?

Yes, shortly after I drop my last child off at College in two years. I'm stopping at Tim C's to go waterskiing on the way.

For 10 years I've survived without them. I don't plan on night flying. It's all going. Besides, to go into class B, I'd need a transponder too, which comes with its own issues. Handhelds work just fine.

It is nice being a purist but realize that a radio will happen for safety's sake at a fly in or to fly around Class B. Everyone flies with ANRs as well not to mention your cell phone charger. The worst is to see the Christmas tree of wiring run internally exposed. Install the lightweight wires to a place for the small gel cell battery. Install the avionics wire to the headset jack from your hand held. Make room for the solar charger in the greenhouse to charge when it is left out. Then cover all the simple wiring that will add what 1#. Pass on the second helping of Aprils food and you got it covered. Make Lenny run more before he gets in the back seat....Yeah sorry Lenny you are bound for the backseat.
Glad you got so see Bella my Ohio Girlfriend. She and her folks are most courteous and generous

Bring the frame down in Feb. and we can check it in the jig and do those mods and any repairs that are needed.
I'll plan on it. It gives me a reasonable goal over the next few months. I'll get her apart and ready to trailer down. Prior to arrival, what parts will I need to purchase? Should I already have it sand blasted? I was already planning on attending, so this will be great.

Chris

I usually blast and prime prior to jigging. That way I know what I am dealing with because I usually find corrosion that was not evident. If you wanted to do the blasting and priming here we might can arrange something prior to the start of the seminar. Looks like you are on track with the photos, I have figured out I can never take enough. Can't wait till Feb.

Just pulled the book off the shelf and suggested Billy read it. I was hopeful that he would read it earlier but he didn't have the interest. Now knowing that Chris bought the plane just might do it for him. I know he will love it.

Cant wait to get back to TX. Booked our room at the Wildcatter early (last year they were booked so didn't want to miss out again this year). Really cool place and not much more than the rates in town. Love to hear the coyotes at night!!!

See you there!

cafi

Cant wait to get back to TX. Booked our room at the Wildcatter early (last year they were booked so didn't want to miss out again this year). Really cool place and not much more than the rates in town. Love to hear the coyotes at night!!!

See you there!

cafi

Cool, I've been craving some of their stuffed jalapenos.

Mee tooo! That and their Mustang Salad....YUM!!! I have been comparing others to theirs. Don't know it is the event that makes them taste so good or if they really ARE that good!

cafi

Yeah....we will have to have a class on cheating and governors so that we can all be on the same playing field as the Pierce's....and then we will tell the workers, in the interest of safety of course, to stay away!!!

Wayyy too much fun and such a competitive crowd!!! :)

cafi

Looks like an original PA-11 front seat. If you decide to swap it out for a Supercub seat, let me know and I'll buy that one off you.

Andrew

Andrew,
I haven't really sat in it yet to see how comfortable it is. In order to keep it somewhat original, I may decide to keep the seat.

Steve,
I have off only that week of your seminar, but If I get it done earlier, I might just bring it down in Jan to get it started. I have found a local guy here also with a jig but everyone seems interested enough that I should show up with it. I'm confused about the jig though, I get it welded up before I straighten it?

I was thinking about trading this c-85-12 for a c-90-8. I know I can pull some guts out and turn it into a -8, but was wondering if anyone was interested. It has been sitting a long time. Mid time engine.

I have to go to work today so the project goes dormant for a week. Can't wait to get back.

Chris

Frame gets blasted and primed, then stick it in the jig to check for alignment and then the repairs and mods get made. Then blast the repaired areas, prime them and top coat with a good polyurethane.

Ok, I'll get it blasted and primed before I get there, or I'll get there early. Regular sand? Shells?

Chris, we look forward t following your progress with this project! Thanks for sharing!

sj

Very cool. Read that book on vacation (on the beach in Cancun) in 2001, 6 months before I started my private. I've kept it around (the book) and just this summer was thinking I needed to put it on my winter list for a re-read. Wouldn't cha know, Jim and I are headed to Cancun for a week the first of March. I'll have to do it then :)

It will be fun to see it in person when it is finished.

Just now catching up on this thread and was able to catch up with chris on an overnight in Raleigh. Totally stoked about seeing this airplane make it back to the sky again and Chris has the look in his eye of a kid on christmas morning when he gets talking about his new airplane. This will be fun!

Back