• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rebuilding Flight of Passage - N4971H

nesincg

BENEFACTOR
Chattanooga, TN (KAPT)
I just bought a nice project from the nicest guy, Ken Burton. A great project PA11. But more importantly, 4971H has a great history. Yes folks, I own the Buck boys airplane.

Flight of passage, the book, has many influences in my life. I had just lost my Father, always had an odd relationship with my brother, then Jeff Russell handed me a copy of this book and the "keys" to his J-3. It has led me to do many great adventure.

And now I'm starting a new one with this airplane. She is a project though. Would love the advise, appreciate the help even more. Can't wait to get her home and get started.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Always fun to get something you want. Good luck with the restoration. Post up some pics and then keep doing that throughout the resto.

P1010935.JPGP1010941.JPGP1010937.JPG

Attachments

• P1010935.JPG
    P1010935.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 757
  • P1010941.JPG
    P1010941.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 828
  • P1010937.JPG
    P1010937.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 822
  • P1010937.JPG
    P1010937.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 754
Where's the freakin' waterbag?!? There is no way you and I are going to California without that darn waterbag.....

Congratulations Chris, can't wait to see you in it at the flyins. (with Lennie and April of course). Wish we had some
Special skills to offer.

Some old video on YouTube of the old girl. Can't post it from this iPad, but type in tail number on YouTube and you will see kern bucks first solo.

Pretty neat, alot of history. It would be fun to really look close at the covering job those two boys did on it in the barn. Your going to have fun with this one. Send progress pictures.

Bill

wow, a lot of history in your plane. The book is great and good luck with the restoration...

Anthony

Congratulations Chris, I don't know where you found the shady characters that helped to put the plane in the truck but I guess you have to do what's needed to get a plane home ;-). Keep it as light as you can and you will have a great plane. What motor do you have? when you get it done just be careful when JP wants to take it for a spin :smile:.

Douten, I resemble that remark. I think it's a 90, and the valve covers say Rolls Royce. He got all kinds of extra parts, struts, wheel pants etc. real nice project.

I just bought a nice project from the nicest guy, Ken Burton. A great project PA11. But more importantly, 4971H has a great history. Yes folks, I own the Buck boys airplane.

Flight of passage, the book, has many influences in my life. I had just lost my Father, always had an odd relationship with my brother, then Jeff Russell handed me a copy of this book and the "keys" to his J-3. It has led me to do many great adventure.

And now I'm starting a new one with this airplane. She is a project though. Would love the advise, appreciate the help even more. Can't wait to get her home and get started.

Chris

I knew that N-number sounded familiar! It will be great for it to get flying again :)

Congratulation Chris! I've never heard of this book before but from what the others have posted, it sounds like a good one. Look forward to the updates on the restoration.

Kevin

Congratulation Chris! I've never heard of this book before but from what the others have posted, it sounds like a good one. Look forward to the updates on the restoration.

Kevin

Kevin get the book it's great, just don't let your Champ buddies read it.

Glenn

I didn't quite make Indiana today but Tim and Shannon's abode here is NE ohio is a suitable replacement. Thanks to everyone. I feel like a million bucks.

Bill, that covering job is long gone. Many updates to this plane.

Douten, light it is. After seeing yours perform on the 1500s, that is my ultimate goal. It has a C-85-12 now with about 80 lbs of electrical garbage. All of it is going bye bye.

Can't afford to do much to the engine right now. Hoping it will run as is for a year or two. I hope to be able to rip all the starter/gen crap off and put a plate over it. Eventually put I'll put on the 0-200 crank and etc upgrades.

I will really appreciate input from professional rebuilding cub people. While my mechanic does my annuals, he doesn't really do fabric work or has ever done any mods on them. He does however work closely with me and will be signing off my work. This is what I have.

I'd like to keep it somewhat original, but have some mods I'd like to do. It came with cleveland's but I'm considering putting on Grove instead. Anyone want to trade? I'd like extended baggage and straight rear seat. Maybe a supercub front seat frame. Weld on float fitting just in case I ever find a set of 1500a's. Any other mods to consider while I have it apart? But remember this must stay LIGHT.

And while I helped Jeff re-assemble his PA11 years ago, I still need some directions. Is there a cub rebuild bible or do I just hit everyone up for help? I already have 4 offers of assistance. Will take more.

It is nice being a purist but realize that a radio will happen for safety's sake at a fly in or to fly around Class B. Everyone flies with ANRs as well not to mention your cell phone charger. The worst is to see the Christmas tree of wiring run internally exposed. Install the lightweight wires to a place for the small gel cell battery. Install the avionics wire to the headset jack from your hand held. Make room for the solar charger in the greenhouse to charge when it is left out. Then cover all the simple wiring that will add what 1#. Pass on the second helping of Aprils food and you got it covered. Make Lenny run more before he gets in the back seat....Yeah sorry Lenny you are bound for the backseat.
Glad you got so see Bella my Ohio Girlfriend. She and her folks are most courteous and generous

Congratulation Chris.

You will have to schedule yourself some time to go to Pierce's seminar in February. You will learn more in that week than you ever can from a book....all hands on.
Have fun with it!

I have that book around here somewhere. Time for my son to finish reading it. :)

cafi

PS And if Dick ever tells you it's "smooth as silk".....be wary! :)

Chris, We pulled Sky Tec starter, stock generator, wiring and radio and transponder out of Tal's Super Cub and removed about 50 lbs. if memory serves me correctly. Bring the frame down in Feb. and we can check it in the jig and do those mods and any repairs that are needed.

Chris,
Pierces Seminar is great instruction, Comraderie and a great source for tools to steal! (Did I say that with my outside voice)
HA!

I would jig it @ Pierces.

Maybe we should bring the J-5 wings to cover????

Shannon is dropping Chris off @ the bar and he should be on his way soon.

Bella didn't even bark at him??? Not a very good guard dog.

Tim

Last edited:
Chris, I'll meet you in St. Louis and we'll roadtrip the fuse to Pierce's Texas Armadillo Rendezvous. I have tons of detail pics of the 4711 rebuild and Kathy/Tim's PA-11. I regularly take portions of 4711 apart and put them back together so I know where most of the parts go most of the time.....

Back