Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Rebuilding Flight of Passage - N4971H

Post Thanks / Like
    Really looks incredible, Chris. I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget to put the cowl supports in or you'll be repairing that nice (and very expensive) nosebowl sooner than you would like. I think they were left off of mine at the last rebuild. They are definitely required if you want to keep the cowl parts from self-destructing. I imagine the same parts are used on the PA-18-95 and PA-11.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, Congratulations looks great you and Charley have done a great job!

Dawson

Post Thanks / Like
    Last Friday I got home early so I could head down to Charlie's Place. He had already installed the rapidly shipped gascolator and cowling which looked fantastic. I wanted to do some other work but Charlie had insisted that we start the C90 up. Very hesitant as always I tried my best to pull it through a million times and get a little oil flowing. After that we primed, pulled through, and started as normal. I hesitated for a second and then started purring like a kitten.

There is an odd edit where the wife accidentally stopped recording after the initial start.

After lunch we came back and we started it again, running it up to the higher numbers as the break in procedures request. I took the opportunity to taxi it around, checking all the ground handling characteristics. Everything checked just fine.

After the engine runs we started trying to finish up all the small items, oh like putting the correct bolts in the struts. Did you know they were special bolts in the bottom of the struts? Like to the tune of $15 bucks per special bolt. After some alignment work, they were cotter pinned in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0060.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	16030
    April working hard.

We had to take the front seat out for some brake work and that was a bit of a chore. April did well with getting the bolts threaded on and then making 233 short turns of the open ended wrench to tighten them up. After that we put it all back together

On Wednesday I returned with the Donald and we went over how my portable intercom and radio were going to fit where and have the least visual impact. I was changing my mind by the minute but we finally came to agreement.

After that we struggled but got the new engine mount bolts put in. We had to order one smaller size because of the amount of washers on the nut. Not an easy job. We had to take the cowling back off and use a come-along and chain to remove some weight from the mount.

We are struggling with the seat belts currently. I installed the seat belts to the floor mod as well as single over the shoulder mounting plates. The PMAed inertia reels were not quite long enough and the front lap belts did not reach the floor. I spent several days trying to find a local shop to work on the Amsafe belts but they couldn't do it.

Name:	SAM_0043.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	693.4 KB 
ID:	16031
    "Whew" Charlie says. He might just be done with me soon.

I put on a shiny new spinner, which I liked, and Charlie didn't, and called it “mostly” complete. We now just waiting on seat belts, a Piper decal and some field approval paperwork. We are hoping the first flight is next a week from now. Yes I now, cutting it close.

Name:	SAM_0057.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	16033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0052.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	780.2 KB 
ID:	16034
    Everyone gets their photo ops.

As a side note, I got two waterbags last week. One from Mike out in Denver and one from my Mother. Based on a couple more address requests I got last week, I might have one or two more on the way. I love it. I'd never actually seen one and was neat to see how they looked. Thanks to everyone for the gifts. I hadn't even had time to think about getting one.

Name:	DSC01656.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	16032
    Last edited by nesincg; 05-31-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: note
    The aviator formally known as 89.

Post Thanks / Like
    That freakin' waterbag. I'll give you a pass on the four bolts because it has been almost 10 years since you and I went looking for mine somewhere in the garage....

Damn nice looking plane. Smart move on the numbers.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. It looks awesome. Your waiting until the last week eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you wind up mounting the intercom? I'm still struggling/procrastinating on that.

i love that paint scheme, and it looks great on your piece of history.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything that sticks out like the ELT remote panel, radio, and intercom will be on the upper right wing root. That way when you stick your head in during a show, it ain't all that noticeable.

I also wanted the availablilty to fly from either seat and still reach all the controls.
    Last edited by nesincg; 06-01-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks. Many have been asking but I've been unable to test fly 71H this last week. She is complete and ready to fly, however lacking the most important item that makes these planes fly – paperwork.

I have 4 field approvals sitting at the Atlanta FSDO. I've been praying they come through this week. I called down yesterday several times and have not received any information. I promise I had never intended on starting this approval process so late, nor did I expect it to take so long.

There is a chance 71H will be delayed getting airborne, but we will make it across. Hopefully soon. More information to come. Keep your fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok everyone. Got to give a plug to Steve Pierce and Tom Ford. I think we have our paperwork. We will know more tomorrow. So much excitement right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    First flight was today. Went well. we have to fix a brake leak. We are also getting a bit of oil out of the breather tube. A bit more than I had hoped. Any suggestions?

http://www.supercub.org/cms/

Post Thanks / Like
    New engine is gonna have some blow-by till the rings seat. How is the vent routed, straight down like original or over the engine and down the back?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Run it hard and don't do touch and goes.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the engine. We will try your moving the location.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nesincg View Post
    First flight was today. Went well. we have to fix a brake leak. We are also getting a bit of oil out of the breather tube. A bit more than I had hoped. Any suggestions?

http://www.supercub.org/cms/
    You could also modify your breather elbow like this one. It will get a little less "splashing" of the oil off the crank.

By the way, your Cub looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    We modified the tube to a length more similar to this one and now we got normal consumption. Or the rings are starting to seat.

Now all I need is the vibrations to tone down a bit. We turned the prop 180 and not much change. Going to try to find one to borrow just to test it out. Maybe take off scull cap spinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    A few quick suggestions to look at for firewall-forward vibration:

propeller track
    lower cowl panel to airbox clearance
    muffler shroud to cabin heat box clearance
    oil sump to engine mount clearance if you have the newer style kidney
    engine mount bolt torque

Is the cowl structure rigid when the cowl doors are unlatched and open? If not, there may still be enough flex to induce a vibration even when it's buttoned up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the inside of a metal interior is louder then your used to from all those years in a fabric interior J3.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

You made the AvWeb news today: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t222171-1.html

Great little gig you've got going!

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, April and Lenny are like rock stars. We are currently heading east.

Fuel stop at Wilkes barre Wyoming valley. Great tail dragger friendly airport.