• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

First Galloping Ghost Lawsuit

If you want to improve the reputation of lawyers, loose Gloria Allred.

Last edited:
Quoted from the MSNBC article: "Speaking for Salerno's family, Buzbee said in a telephone interview that no amount of money could fix the 'huge gaping hole ripped from their lives.'" If this was in fact the case, how was the $25M figure arrived at? ...Just a "good, round number?" These types of lawsuits drive me insane, it honestly doesn't fix anything and does it really make those "people who are responsible pay for their negligence?" No way! If there was no insurance there would be no winfall lawsuits period. In two words: Tort Reform.

..."If it wasn't for lawyers you wouldn't have.... safe cars, seatbelts, airbags...." If you want to make people drive safer, get rid of all the crap mentioned here and mount a 12" metal spike out of the center of the steering wheel. People would slow down, drive more defensively, and perhaps become more responsible drivers themselves, nothing like guarenteed death changing your driving habits!

Sorry about the rant, this kind of crap drives me nuts.

Silly rhetoric

Paul, stand firm on this one. This is exactly the silly type of knee jerk rhetoric that is informing the public and politics today. Silly stuff like an original 13th amendment that was meant to ban lawyers from political service. You all realize, I know, that more than half the people at the Constitutional Convention were lawyers. Thirteen of our first sixteen presidents were lawyers. Then there are these quotes from the works of Shakespeare that are regularly taken out of context because doing so supports an opinion. Shakespeare intended this as a complement to those who preserve justice and order. I have been a lawyer for over twenty years. I grew up on a ranch. I hunted and trapped for many years. I am a card carrying Republican but politically homeless in these times. I prosecuted child molesters, murderers, petty thieves and guys who got their sense of manhood by beating up those they claim to love. I have represented pilots against the Feds and forced insurance companies to pay life insurance policies to little kids whose parents had faithfully paid their policies for years. I have never charged a client for any of the legal work I have done. Lawyers have played a key role in setting up this country, in ensuring the rights we all hold so dear, holding lawbreakers accountable, and assisting individuals in redressing their grievances. They have protected property ownership, second amendment rights, and freedom of speech and religion. Let the legal system do it's job and determine the facts. The courts and juries are perfectly capable of determining if a case has
merit or not.

Paul, stand firm on this one. This is exactly the silly type of knee jerk rhetoric that is informing the public and politics today. Silly stuff like an original 13th amendment that was meant to ban lawyers from political service. You all realize, I know, that more than half the people at the Constitutional Convention were lawyers. Thirteen of our first sixteen presidents were lawyers. Then there are these quotes from the works of Shakespeare that are regularly taken out of context because doing so supports an opinion. Shakespeare intended this as a complement to those who preserve justice and order. I have been a lawyer for over twenty years. I grew up on a ranch. I hunted and trapped for many years. I am a card carrying Republican but politically homeless in these times. I prosecuted child molesters, murderers, petty thieves and guys who got their sense of manhood by beating up those they claim to love. I have represented pilots against thePp Feds and forced insurance companies to pay life insurance policies to little kids whose parents had faithfully paid their policies for years. I have never charged a client for any of the legal work I have done. Lawyers have played a key role in setting up this country, in ensuring the rights we all hold so dear, holding lawbreakers accountable, and assisting individuals in redressing their grievances. They have protected property ownership, second amendment rights, and freedom of speech and religion. Let the legal system do it's job and determine the facts. The courts and juries are perfectly capable of determining if a case has
merit or not.
Amen, my Father practiced corporate defense for 62 years before he retired. Most associate the legal profession with the trial lawyer groups who pray on big settlements, they are in the minority but do 99% of the advertising and the get rich actions. This country was founded on laws and laws require lawyers... Don't like the system spend a few years in a third world country and you'll come running back!

Last edited:
Every night I come home from work, turn on the news and get bombarded with advertisements for lawyers. Surley there can't be that many bad doctors out there.
My Dad died on the operating table. He was sick. The doctors did their best. Nobody sued them.
Watch, after posting this, I'll get twenty lawyer solicitations in the mail.

QUOTE]Second, if I'm ever lucky enough to be sitting in the VIP at Reno, and I get snuffed out doing what I love by others doing what they love in a situation where we all knew the risks we were taking, I hope my family knows me well enough not to compound the tragedy by filing a lawsuit.

[/QUOTE]
Paul
I am with ya!! I have been involved in many law deals in life and I feel that you are correct as anything there is a place for honest practicing attorneys who truly represent the interest of the people!
What makes me sad is that folks have no issue mis-stating health issues on their medical or perjuring themselves in favor of what they believe. We are all guilty of embellishing a story or situation sometimes and most times to our personal advantage....
Yes, in many ways our legal system is broken but it is still the best damn democracy in the world!!!
I am no bleeding heart liberal, quite contrary, but people make frivolous statements and take frivoulus actions in any situation, we must ask when did we get angry in the last customer service issue in our personal live, was it frivolous due to someone who did not grow up in the same standards as we are accountable for? Is worth the battle that ensues over some petty issue? Is it frivoulus? Really? I believe NO, we dont know if this person was the soul bread winner or the main guy for a orphange that may colapse, what was this individuals contribution to his world and where did the balance lay with is loved ones?
We cannot answer that, those are parts of the formula that play into " Frivolus or Needed"
So they purchased a ticket with knowledge that they may " Die doing what they enjoy " I get very upset with that statement dead is dead and their " ain't no tomorrow" and until you realize your own immortality who would understand that?
I for one was diagnosed this year with Cancer....if I died tomorrow flying would I have died doing what I love! Hardly, I LOVE LIFE, flying is a passion of my life it is NOT my LIFE!
On one last note Super Cubs is for folks that have one common thread, flying! Why disrupt it with political views opinions and BS that is not relevant to the love in flying! The love and interest we all have not only as a passion but an escape of what we live in normal life with a very limited talent pool of skills and time.
Now we disrupt our love of one passion in life with all this opionionated BS!

Sam
8)

I wish lawyers would not accept cases where people are not taking responsibility for their own actions. And I wish that when a severely injured person wins a lawsuit that they are getting a greater share than they often do. I dont like class action lawsuits. While I suppose the idea is to punish the company for wrong doing, the participants don't reap any of the benefits and the lawyers reap a bunch. All that being said....these people where there of their own will....but really....do you go to an airshow EXPECTING this kind of tragedy? Heck no. This was a terrible situation and unfortunately there were a lot of people severely injured. The amount of insurance money available is likely not enough to cover, the medical bills, the loss of earnings some of these people will suffer and there is no amount of money that can cover their pain and suffering. A law suit is likely necessary here. Sorry. No one likes to hear this stuff....but these people were injured not of their own doing....and injured severely! :peeper

cafi

Last edited:
It's hard to say what each one of us would do, if we were the involved party. I think in some arenas it's called Monday morning quarterback. Certainly the law is used by some as a weapon, and there is probably no person who would not have a story of the legal system being used inappropriately. It does seem that usuially the one with the most money to spend, prevails more often than not. Unfortunately there is no person available, who has the wisdom and vision of God, and is therefore able to make right and truth stand each and every time. We are all human and make mistakes. Thats why people driving airplanes keep getting hurt. I have noticed as I get older, that gravity seems to work better and better. I think we all either love flying so much, or need flying so much, that we are willing to assume the risks of doing so. I personally am sorry that this lawsuit has come up. So many times, a worthwhile event, has been destroyed by litigation, and subsequent risk management, prevents similar events from even being considered. It's too bad, that a bullet proof waiver, or release, cannot be devised, and then participants and spectators alike, at events that involve motion, inertia, and potential for injury can either accept the risk, or get back in their risk free automobile and go home.

While a bulletproof waiver would be nice in sooo many circumstances, fortunately or unfortunately you can not waive the rights of your spouse and family and therefore the waiver would still be inadequate.

I'm sorry to hear there is a lawsuit too....but not as sorry as I am for all that the injured and families of those that are lost are going through. Truly tragic!

cafi

What about a jury!!! What a joke that is too. A jury of your peers...yea right. The jury for that case should be selected from the people that were there at the race. They are the one's that would know if there were safety steps abused. Not a jury of people that has never seen and airplane on the ground. I had some dumbass drive thru our hanger sitting inside a fenced in airport and destroy our airplane that took us 6 years of our life to build. Who was at fault.....certainly wasn't us because we weren't even there. I wanted a "JURY" trial and our own lawyer told us we were wasting our time. That they would select some low income people that know nothing about airplanes, that can barely feed themselves, and try to convince them how bad we have it now because our plane was destroyed. I said the "JURY should be made up of people that do know airplanes, that know how much time, money, commitment, is needed to build something that otherwise you could never afford to own. Someone that HAS sit in a hanger for 6 years building your dream airplane and devoting every spare minute of your life to it only to have it destroyed by some jerk writing an estimate on a laptop driving the road. I was informed our system doesn't work like that. That instead it would be drawn out for over three years, we would be made to look like cry baby playboys that had one of their toys broken, and that the extra court costs and lawyer fees we would probably loose even more. Tell me about our wonderful system. Don't even get me started on our wonderful crook filled court system. Cost us $10,000.00 in lawyer fees for absolutely nothing because that's the way our court system is set up. Every time I have ever taken someone to court I was the threatened to be put in jail. You can't even afford to defend yourself anymore even if you are absolutely no way shape or form at fault.

Steve

A wise economics professor once told me "The only people on the jury are the ones that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty."

LMAO!!! That's good.......really good. And sadly it's the truth too. We had a guy break his collarbone riding a dirt bike on our property. The court deemed us not at fault but it still cost us $3,500.00 in court cost and lawyer fees. Wow......what a victory. At some time we have to take responsibility for our own actions. Humans have always made mistakes and will continue to do so until we are all extinct. No court will never regulate human mistakes out of existance. The courts will however regulate away our freedom in trying to do so. Just take a look around.

When I started flying my old instructor looked me right in the eye and said "Flying is dangerous and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can minimize the risks but that doesn't take the danger away. Somewhere along the line since I've been in avaition, flying has went from the most dangerous way to travel, to the safest, and somehow I missed that transition of avaition. But if you think that flying 35,000 ft above the ground in a 30 ton pressurized tube carrying thousands of gallons of fuel at over 500 plus MPH is safe, then you have clearly lost track of reality!!"

Steve

You know reading this thread reminds me of how we snuck in the back way(1977-78, off Red Rock road) took our lawn chairs down on the Reno Unlimited course, just west of the far pylon, and drank beer and watched the planes drop down twenty feet over our heads as they built up speed for the long straightway...... no security, a couple of 22 year old kids....I feel sorry for the kids growing up in this country now.... You'll be watching the races at Reno with binoculars now.....that is if they ever are allowed to race again.....

You know reading this thread reminds me of how we snuck in the back way(1977-78, off Red Rock road) took our lawn chairs down on the Reno Unlimited course, just west of the far pylon, and drank beer and watched the planes drop down twenty feet over our heads as they built up speed for the long straightway...... no security, a couple of 22 year old kids....I feel sorry for the kids growing up in this country now.... You'll be watching the races at Reno with binoculars now.....that is if they ever are allowed to race again.....

Not only at Reno but at every other airshow. We race IMCA modifieds and are required to sign a waiver if buying a pit pass. The regular spectators are somewhat protected, depending on the race track, by barriers and fences with cable restraints but there is no obvious way of protecting a spectator at any airshow if a pilot blacks out, miscalculates or has a airframe failure. If nothing else Reno's tragedy should illuminate the inherent risk of attending such a event....a small risk but a risk non the less.
We accept risk no matter the activity....lately I have been eyeing that ceiling fan over my bed.

....lately I have been eyeing that ceiling fan over my bed.[/QUOTE said:
Try installing a pool around where I live. Whole back yard is fenced in, corner of house to corner of house, gate locked. Have to install alarms on the back doors because someone COULD walk through the house and fall into the pool. The alarm lets you know someone is going out the back door. This is the absolute truth. Wanna know how many times that alarm goes off when you have guest over and a cookout in the back yard. Don't forget, if you by-pass the alarm, you have taken it upon yourself to risk everyone's life at your house. Insurance is no longer valid either if you tamper with the safety devices!! Now keep in mind that if you just fence around the pool only you DON'T need an alarm on the pool gate. I kid you not. Here's another good one. You bust your ass to shovel your side walk to make it easier for people to walk on and they can sue you, if they fall, for not cleaning it good enough for them. If you don't touch it and they fall it's considered an act of God so it's not your fault. Of course it means that you have to walk back and forth from the street to your house in snow until it melts too!! But at least (for now) you can't be sued for a poor job of clearing the snow from it. :roll::crazyeyes:

What's really sad is that the kids today really believe that everything that happens to them is someone elses fault. Never their own..........take responsibility for nothing. What a great system we are creating.

Steve

Many years ago I remember going to some open land near my house to fly a kite with my then 8 year old son (garrett490). After a couple of minutes a guy walks up and says we have to leave. I asked him why, he said he was afraid of getting sued. Thank you Lawyers!

A couple of years ago I wanted to sell my share of a Cessna 210 I was a partner in. This guy calls and says he's interested in my share and would like to see the airplane. He shows up to see the plane and when I found out what he did for a living, I asked him to step outside my hanger and explained that I wouldn't sell my share to him out of respect for my partners.

The damage lawyers have caused this country is in calculable. Their normal approach that a company or individual willingly and knowingly harmed someone is BS 90% of time. Lowest form of human life...in my opinion.

Disclaimer - All comments above are the opinion of the poster and do not necessary reflect the opinion of this website. Reading this post may cause adverse effects to some readers including skin rash, irritation, nausea, vomiting and in some cases heart failure and death. Use this post only as only directed by your doctor and if you don’t have one, you should probably get one.

Last edited:
Back