Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alaska Weather Web Cams Fouled by FAA

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska Weather Web Cams Fouled by FAA

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php

Today, a blight appeared on all the webcam images across the state. Some bureaucrat at FAA was apparently afraid that they weren't getting enough recognition for the one successful program they were involved in, so they plastered their logo over top of the web images. For one of the more ridiculous examples, click on Pedro Bay Southwest Camera or Cordova.

Please click on the FEEDBACK button under CONTENTS on the left column and give them some feedback before they start selling ad space on the other margins.

For the person who finds the most egregious obscuration of relevant landmarks, as determined by our celebrity panel of judges, you will be entered into a drawing for a 3000# gross weight increase logbook entry by yours truly.
    Last edited by elgoatropo; 10-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i noticed that yesterday in my AKAvCAMsLt iphone app..... since thats where the images come from.... gonna have to reformat the image size so it don't make things unreadable for my app.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we need to sweeten the pot a little. Second prize will be a certificate to have your ashes aerially dispersed over potter marsh. Third prize is a mustache ride from former Anchorage Police Chief Walt Monegan, non transferable. Fourth prize is a scrimshaw of an Aeronca Chief on a fungus.
    Last edited by elgoatropo; 10-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see what you are referring to. I looked at Cordova and didn't see anything other than a disclaimer type notice and web site address in the lower right corner. Is that what you are referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I was referring to. You could hide a Mardi Gras parade behind that web address. And a small village behind that fat FAA seal on the lower left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 3953

Chignik Lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a bunch of idiotic fat bellied bald headed left wing egg sucking tax payers dollar stealing morons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not see what the problem is. The logo and such seem silly, but not a travesty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mghallen View Post
    I do not see what the problem is. The logo and such seem silly, but not a travesty.
    There's a lot of real estate between silly and travesty. And that seems to be where you always find your public officials bumbling around.
    Last edited by elgoatropo; 10-17-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the cameras often, Chigniks included, and have had no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it all depends on what you're hoping to see.

At Zero-Darkthirty, you can look at Beluga's southwest view to see a single light atop the powerplant. If the light is fuzzy, you know there is fog or reduced visibility at Beluga. There is no ASOS there, and no reliable weather source at 06:00. Now, you can't see the light, because it is hidden behind the logo.

That is one small example of the inconvenience caused by the cluttering of the frame. Given that there are hundreds if not thousands of other users, and hundreds of webcams across the state, being viewed in all different lighting and visibility conditions, it is a safe bet that it is causing problems for some other pilots.

In many instances, you can used the animation loop to see snow accumulation, look at the ramp area to see if the snow has been plowed, or if other planes have made it in. You can even use the cam to spot your company's plane on the ramp to help with flight tracking. There is much more to see than just the clouds.
    Last edited by elgoatropo; 10-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mike mcs repair's App on my iPhone4. If you don't have his App I give it a big thumb's UP. Well worth the money to have if you fly in Alaska and have a smart phone. I just looked at Cordova and I have to scroll down while viewing to see the FAA website. Didn't come close to obstructing the sky view which is what I am looking for. They own them so I guess they can put whatever they want. They are open to suggestions. Send them a friendly email with your opinion. They may take the address off.

mghallen, guys were asking when you are coming back to Kotzebue. Brad says when and if you do to bring PIZZA.
    Last edited by Torch; 10-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to report that the situation has been rectified. Also happy to report that Beluga is fog-free this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elgoatropo View Post
    Happy to report that the situation has been rectified......
    sorta................

will have to update the app so my text is not overlapping their new stuff, once they get done messing with the pictures....