Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cessna tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Cessna tool?

Anyone know where to get one of these. I know, I know, it isn't for a Cub....

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2...t-tool-debuts/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHGQzhm8BU
    Last edited by mit greb; 09-23-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Add the video link
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Spruce did have it but I don't see it now. You might try the Cessna Pilots Association. They probably know where to get one.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

StewartB
    It seems like you could do the same thing with a simple piece of key stock that has the tip dulled. It may not even be important that the driven rod is square. I have one rib that could use some love. I never gave it much thought. I may try to drive a rod in and straighten it just for curiosity's sake.

Why is it that Cessna uses the tubular trailing edge on flaps but not on ailerons? Strucural? Aerodynamic? Just to save our foreheads?

SB

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use a piece of square stock.

You do NOT want the bar strait, you want a slight curve at end that goes in aileron so that you can over bend aileron skin so that when skin springs back it is strait. Work fast, don't dink around bending a little then a little more or you WILL crack skin

Also clamp some wood tight under/or over trailing edge, or tool may rip out trailing edge you are levering against

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB View Post
    It seems like you could do the same thing with a simple piece of key stock that has the tip dulled. It may not even be important that the driven rod is square. I have one rib that could use some love. I never gave it much thought. I may try to drive a rod in and straighten it just for curiosity's sake.

Why is it that Cessna uses the tubular trailing edge on flaps but not on ailerons? Strucural? Aerodynamic? Just to save our foreheads?

SB
    Stewart,

The early (and lighter) Cessnas-as in the 170, had this configuration on both flaps and ailerons (and elevators, for that matter). I suspect the application of a bulb strip on the aft edge of the flaps of later airplanes may be a result of the loads on those flaps with heavier/faster airplanes. But, that's speculation on my part.

MTV

StewartB
    Thanks, i didn't know that. On my '75 the ailerons have no trailing edge reinforcement, the flaps have the bulb with the flat leg that fits between the skins, and the elevator skins I bought as replacements come with a spacer/reinforcement that fits between the skins at the aft edge but there's no bulb. So the most likely control surface to get bent, the elevators, can't be repaired with the tools in question. Sweet.

I've said it before. I just flies 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.

SB
    Last edited by StewartB; 09-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.