• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tool For Replacing Elevator and Rudder Bushings

Thanks everyone. Ordered material yesterday and the program for the screw machine is written. Hope to have them ready next week and I will set it up on an online store where you can use a credit card or mail a check. If you would like one and have not communicated with me yet please do so I can make sure we make enough. I ordered extra material. Thanks.

Steve, I made a similar one when I did my wings to push out the bushings for the spar attach brackets so you may want to also make up one for that application also.

Mark at Dakota Cub gave me a set of those for installing and removing the spar bushings. That is where the idea came from for the elevator and rudder bushing tool. I am not very original. ;)

Steve,

How common is it that the bushings need to be replaced? How often do they need to be replaced and also, how much play is too much with the clevis pin installed? Do you replace these bushings when doing a full restoration whether they need to be replaced or not? Also, the same questions applies to the landing gear bushings too in the gear and in the frame and to the spar attach bushings too. Thanks Steve.

Kevin

The most common ones I see worn are the outboard elevator bushings. It takes quite a while for them to wear and I think it is just one of those neglected items that a lot of mechanics either overlook or don't want to mess with. With the tool I made it is quick and easy for me and can be done in about 10 minutes. Cotter pins are the hardest part. I hold the stabilizer with one hand and pick up and down on the hinge line of the elevator with the other and see if there is play. If there is a replace them because once it starts it gets worse quick.

As far as the gear bolts, I have seen some on some wore out Super Cubs but not too much. It is harder to check unless you have the airplane suspended from sea plane lift rings or a wing jack. I just use a bushing driver kit for those since they are steel and have had good luck installing and removing without a special tool.

I haven't found any bad wing spar bushings but remove them in a complete wing rebuild. I have a similar tool for removing the spar bushings and another to install I got compliments of Dakota Cub after Kase and I did some troubleshooting on the Super 18 at New Holstein one year.

I have a feeling I should probably buy the bushing removal/insertion tool. Since I'm going to the O-320 on my -12, I will need -18 horizontals/elevators. I was planning on new parts because they get beat up with rock dings, oblong mounting holes, etc. I'm not sure how much play is on my rudder. If I don't get this piece of specialized equipment, I'm probably going to need it after I realize my rudder bushings need to be replaced.

Steve,

I would like to get one of those bushing pullers / pushers from you -- just tell me when to send money your way -- in fact, let me know when you have it and I'll drive up to get it.

I need to take some more pix of fuel line routings, etc.

Andy Mutzig

Steve,<br><br>I would like to get one of those bushing pullers / pushers from you -- just tell me when to send money your way -- in fact, let me know when you have it and I'll drive up to get it.<br><br>I need to take some more pix of fuel line routings, etc.<br><br>Andy Mutzig

Best make my order with the fancy Allen tool and the custom rosewood box and instructional DVD.

Thanks

I am making up a good set of instruction to include with the tool as well. I have replaced a bunch of these bushings and learned a little about the few stubborn ones. Wish I had a source for a nice rosewood box. :)

I think the guy who commented on the "marketing opportunity here" in the original posting on elevator bushings ought to get a discount. :p Jim

I think the guy who commented on the "marketing opportunity here" in the original posting on elevator bushings ought to get a discount. :p Jim

Gary Drean told me to get some of these made up several years ago and I never got around to it. I think Jr. wanted one as well. So much for me being punctual. :)

Hey Steve,

Better late than never. Hopefully we can have a place on the site where more of your (and other) handy dandy tools can be purchased. Sure appreciate your willingness to share your experience and knowledge.

Gary

Serious question. How many private pilot Cub owners have ever changed elevator or rudder bushings?

SB

Serious question. How many private pilot Cub owners have ever changed elevator or rudder bushings?

SB

Changed them on every cub that was being worked on while I was part of the project. Seems like most people don't know you can change them or never oil them.

The bushings are oilite but there is never enough speed/force to force the oil out.

Will do. Saw the first few come out of the screw machine yesterday. Way cool. Had to make a slight change and hope to get them through it today and then get the wrench flats cut. Hope to have them all made by the end of the week. Thanks.

Got the tools tonight and Cathy set it up on our webstore.

www.pierceaero.net

Domestic shipping will be $5 priority fixed rate US postal service. $12 to Canada or Mexico or $14 to any other country. The Allen wrench tool is also listed on the store with no additional shipping.

If you would rather use a check address is:

Pierce Aero
196 Hwy 380 East
Graham, Texas 76450

$30 bushing tool
$10 3/16" ball end Allen wrench socket
$5 domestic priority USPS shipping
$12 to Canada or Mexico
$14 to any other country
Thanks.

Last edited:
First orders went out today and being they are shipping USPS Priority mail you should see them in the next few days. I ended up making extra if anyone else is interested. If you are in the Anchorage area Stoddards will be carrying them as well. Thanks.

Back