• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Contour HD video camera

Scooter7779h

PATRON
Anchorage, Alaska
Contour has just released the ContourRoam. Easy one slide switch operation but not bluetooth controlled like GPS or Plus. However, camera is tough, and waterproof, so you don't need the extra waterproof case. Has same great sure-track rail system for mounting of other Contour cameras. Very reasonably priced.

http://contour.com/products/contour-roam

I have used the Contour cameras quite a bit and found them to be reliable, small and a great picture - I was just thinking of trying a Go Pro - but may order the Roam instead. Check out my You Tube channel - cubonaut875 - for examples of videos I have taken with the Contour camera and the NFlight camera ( Contour with an audio input), edited with IMovie on my Mac. Some of the videos Supercub.org members have made are outstanding. It is great to share our experiences with others, and camera's such as the Contour, GoPro and Drift really make this possible. I really look forward to getting an email that there is another video posted by MountainMatt, Pokette, Greg Swingle, etc. The creative talent is impressive for people who have real jobs other than video production. Keep it up You Tuber's and Vimeo artists!

Stuff just keeps getting better. I may have to get one of those. Waterproof is good for float planes.

Doing a little checking on the new Roam by Coutour - seems to me it does not have a 60FPS action mode. As I set my camera, the prop blur is much less in the action mode at 720, 60 FPS. If I go to 1080 with 30 fps, I get a washboard prop blur that streaches across the screen. I don't get that in 60 FPS, 720. Check this video for an example: http://youtu.be/sZ5BvuzSKTk cubonaut875 youtube channel. I don't shoot in 30fps1080 as the prop blur washboards across the screen. I'm sure there is an explanation regarding RPM/frames per second and CMOS sensors - but the point being if you buy the Roam - I think you might get more prop blur. The new NFlightcam http://www.nflightcam.com/cameras/nflightcam.html I beleive, eliminates this by changing the virtual aperture - kind of like an ND8 filter will do, but without the flattening of the contrast. They are way pricey - but isn't everything about what we do? Mine just shipped today, there shoud be a video up on my You Tube Channel by next week. The GoPro has a 60 FPS 720 with the 170 degree field of view - however I think it has a greater fisheye effect. I'm not sure on that.

My wife works for Oregon Scientific, and has brought home a few of their ATC9K HD cameras, which are in this same category. It is waterproof to 65 ft, and we tested it by taking it swimming. Somewhere I have some footage of chasing fish underwater, it was really cool. It's the same camera I shot this footage with:

http://www.vimeo.com/22253163

24, 30, 60 fps... it doesn't matter. CMOS sensors that record by progressive scan will always suffer the prop index distortion. The solution is documented all around the Internet (neutral density filters), but the Contour does do one thing cool, and that is that they've built a cool little screw-on system for retaining filters in front of the lens.

Unfortunately the Contour still doesn't come with a wireless remote, which the Oregon Scientific and Drift both do.

Zane - great video! - where did you get that music? The ATC9K looks big on the web site. Is it as big as the drift or is is more like the Contour with a LCD screen? That is my one problem with the Drift - it's kinda big, it would be hard to wear if you should choose to. Next time I'm going to shoot in 30fps same angle and do a side by side - guess it was just my imagination with the 30fps or the 60fps

I am thank you very much. Need about 30 more from folks!

sj

Zane - great video! - where did you get that music? The ATC9K looks big on the web site. Is it as big as the drift or is is more like the Contour with a LCD screen? That is my one problem with the Drift - it's kinda big, it would be hard to wear if you should choose to. Next time I'm going to shoot in 30fps same angle and do a side by side - guess it was just my imagination with the 30fps or the 60fps

Phoner to Arizona - Gorillaz

Here's a pic of the ATC9K mounted on the fuse tubes:
reds-blueberry-pickin-14.jpg

Frankly, I'm not sure what I would choose if I had to buy a new HD helmet cam. I get these for free, so I take em. I rarely hear anyone mention them though, and I feel they're in the running.

Attachments

• reds-blueberry-pickin-14.jpg
    reds-blueberry-pickin-14.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 125
Back