• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying Wires??

dreamer

Somewhere over the Rainbow
I need a 3/16" X 41 1/2" flying wire for the clipped T-Craft tail (heavier than usual taylorcraft flying wires due to aerobatics). Have struck out at Univair, Spruce and many other sources. Looks like we'll have to order one custom made in England that'll take 6-8 weeks??? Does anyone have another source??? My mechanic says he's seen this gauge flying wire on some Pipers. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, dreamer

Have you tried Steen Aero Lab? They are the US dealer for Brunton's. www.steenaero.com Another possibility is Roger Rourke. He specializes in components for the One Design aerobat, and makes tail wires for that plane. Perhaps you can talk him into what you need. Unfortunately he doesn't have a website I am aware of, but here is a link to his price list and contact info..www.dr107.info/Files/R_Rourke_Price_List_Jan2011.doc
Steen Aero has no inventory and cannot say how long it might take to fill any particular order (order anyways and hope for the best?), tailwires.com is out of that size, struck out numerous other directions. Will contact and try the rest in the morning! Thanks one and all for your suggestions :)

Aw!

Youse Guys (and Gals) REALLY are the BEST! Silly Me... banging my head on the wall for weeks... :banghead:I shoulda known to ask here FIRST! The phone calls will commence in the morning :-D

PS It's experimental...

Last edited:
Sorry... I have 2925 (29 1/4), 3525, 5400, 5725, 5875, 6000, 6075, 6950 and 7450's. Figures !

Sorry... I have 2925 (29 1/4), 3525, 5400, 5725, 5875, 6000, 6075, 6950 and 7450's. Figures !

Egads... sounds a lot like what else I've been hearing! Thanks for looking though...

Who'd a thunk something so simple could get so complicated? To make matters worse, it's all in a language I barely understand... sumptin about left/right and rolled vs. cut threads complicates this further yet! <eek>

Why not check locally to see if anybody rolls threads, then get the proper steel and have the threads rolled on? I am assuming that round is OK? This is not rocket science.

Steen aero is the best place.
But you could make your own using rolled threads or a J-thread....

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

what about dakota cub? they make all wing parts.... http://www.dakotacub.com/

Thanks Mike! :up

Don't know offhand if we have that size as I just moved and all the notes I keep at home (because I lead such an exciting life I bring it home with me ;-)) are scattered about. However, I can tell you that ours do have rolled threads. We don't have everything listed on our website (yet!) but here is some of what we have: http://dakotacub.com/images/me - tail brace wires.pdf

If you don't find any, give RJ a call tomorrow and he will be able to find if we have that particular size :)

Good luck!

Back when I was looking for wires for my 2+2, I was considering making them my self (found them at good price and bought from Wag). I found this place http://www.buchananspokes.net/ Seems they can make any size "spoke" and they advertise for aircraft also. A flying wire is just a long spoke, I think they told me that. Might give then a call. Kind of a long shot but who knows.
Marty57

Echoing what others have said, this is per an acquaintance of mine who has a clipped T-craft:

"The last I knew the only place to buy flying wires, etc is from Bruntons in Scotland. I think the Skybolt folks in Florida are dealers. You can build your own, Steve Givens built them on the T-Clips. However, they MUST be made out of the proper material. Idiot that built an Acro Sport II I owned made them out of the wrong stuff and they stretched an INCH. Coulda killed me."

and the winner is... Burl's Aircraft in Alaska!

I noticed on Burl's site that he has approval to modify the Tcraft tail brace wire nipple. Perhaps he can fabricate wires. http://burlac.com/Contact.html Click on the parts tab and then "full parts list". Jim

Had to plan phone calls according to time zones. I wake up very early in an Eastern time zone and have to WAIT a long time to talk to someone on the other coast! The biggest issue seems to be the need for right/left threads. I could get what I needed from Buchanon's spokes, but would have had to purchase the tooling necessary for the left hand thread ($300-$400 on top of costs of building a custom "spoke"). Finally it was something approaching a reasonable hour in Alaska... Burl hisself answered the phone and YES!!! He HAS all the necessary tooling and stock to make exactly what I need. :howdy

Thanks for all the suggestions! It won't be long now... :Gupsidown:

Tailwire arrived today after a 3,221.8nm trip as a very tired crow flies. It's a beeyootiful thing and I can't wait to start using it! Burl's Aircraft rocks. Thanks again all. ;-)

Back