• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What is your FAVORITE (JUST ONE) destination PUBLIC airport and why?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Hey folks, I appreciate all the help with the airport survey. Now I would like to know what your favorite destination PUBLIC airport is, and why it is your favorite? This could include anything from a back country trip to a FBO with red carpets and jets, but am really looking for ones that fall in between.

Any help is appreciated! Working on some good examples and ideas for New Holstein.

Thanks!

sj

Indian Creek because it is beautiful and because my first trip to Idaho, I met this good looking girl at another backcountry strip and we went camping at IC. A good memory.

Smithers BC is really nice, because it is in Smithers.

Lake Hood is fantastic because it is the heart of bush aviation

Fairbanks is very cool because you can camp, and Vickie will loan you a car, and if you are lucky, you can visit with Don (Torch) just a few minutes from your tent

Situk is great for fishing, and Cisana is a cool place to hang out, then there are a few others around there that are lots of fun and great views.

So many Steve, so hard to choose!

Johnson Creek during the fly in has got to be a must though!

11R - Brenham, Texas. Fifties style diner, great atmosphere, good food and pretty waitresses in poodle skirts. Even had working jukeboxes at each of the booths last time I was there. Relatively short trip to the Blue Bell factory if ice cream is your thing.

Chad

Beaumont Hotel. (SN07) Serves a great hamburger. Everything in the town is with in walking distance. Lodging available. And it looks to be halfway between the back country strips of Idaho and the red carpet places of the east. And it has a grass strip.

Last edited:
ID85 Elk River ID great food Huckelberry ice cream , huck pancakes , lodging , history Morris Drug Store where Walt Diesny drew Mickey mouse on the Marble soda fountain an Miss Hughs the school morm named it !!! Garnets in the creek , fossil beds , largest an oldest cedar tree on west coast over 3000 years old , great fishing rainbow an brooks four wheeler rentals swimming Mikeo

Last edited:
My favorite airport was a strip outside of Sioux Falls called Sittigs strip. It doesn't exist anymore. It had a great view, undulating hills and lots of deer. We crop-dusted off it and my Dad taught me to fly there. Crime did not exist there and rarely did anyone show up to visit. Usually, I was the only one there which made me the smartest guy at the airport...I spent most of my youth at Sittigs. That is where I got my appreciation for soft fields, grass and skunks. I may have even been conceived there but I don't want to think about that. The strip had 4 hangers out there and we fixed them up one year because they were all caving in. Those old strips are so cool. I think there was one in Kansas where the grass was mowed and it had a windsock but I bet no one landed there in the last 20 years. I about crashed on it on my way from New Orleans to Alaska last year.

I didn't see the public airport part. Sooooo, I gotta say Lake Hood because it is close to the Bush Company....

KGZ for the scenery, terminal building and airport courtesy car, L20 for the history and cheap accomodations, 4Z5 for the cool sculpture at the FBO, and Z86 for the excitement of it all! :wink: I second AKTango58, Situk and all of the "Yakutat 6" are cool... sorry I guess I don't have JUST ONE favorite public airport! 8)

KMLT (Millinocket, Maine): Fantastic scenery, food and friends. When you land on 34 you are looking straight at Mount Katahdin. The American Loggers restaurant is right downtown. Usually the airport is staffed by Mr. Campbell, a Cub guy if there ever was one.

KPNC - Ponca City Oklahoma. Cubs to GulfStreams they all get the same service none better than the rest just friendly to flyers.

Friendly Oklahoma airport folks (they could care less if you want to land in the grass), legendary booster club breakfast (first Saturday of each month typically 200-400 fed averages 90-100 planes flying in depending on the weather plus and the town comes out to participate in droves), lots of open land flying in the area with great sand bars within a few miles on two different rivers, always reasonable fuel prices, and oh yea I almost forgot simply the Best Mexican food anywhere, airport or not, is right there with Enrique's in the terminal building family run for a very lo9ng time (open Monday-Saturday lunch and dinner but closed 2:00to 5:00 pm).

Last edited:
Talkeetna, cuz it means I'm just about to moose camp. The one place on earth I like most.

Mike

3cu cable wisconson, Famous old woman Libby ran it for years now no one around, Telmark lodge on runway no one ever there ,its like you own world for free, in last 30 years made over 1000 charter flights,in my seneca all seasons ,it has it all.

Steve,

It SOUNDS like what you're looking for is FEATURES of an airport which pilots find attractive??

If so, here are a couple of my favorites, in no particular order :

1) On airport camping. Preferably with bathroom facilities. Showers are nice as well. Fairbanks International has a GREAT facility like this, complete with donated bicycles, and close to stores, etc.

2) Easy access to restaurants/stores/etc from the airport

3) Courtesy car

4) Fuel (cheap, of course) preferably self service.

5) Pilot "lounge" or briefing area, where one can access a computer for weather info, and call AFSS

6) Much as I hate to admit it....Wi Fi.

Take a look at the air camper park at FAI. They have numerous camp sites, each with a fire pit, tent pad and tiedowns for the airplane. Flush toilets and showers, Pavilions to stay outdoors but out of the rain, the aforementioned bicycles provided by the 99s, easy access to runways and taxiways, and NO security fencing/access issues. So far.

MTV

Hmmm... I'm going to go the other way on this one. My kids favorite airport is KMCD. Mackinac Island MI. No hangars, no fuel, no courtesey car, there is a fee, it takes a while to get a taxi ride into town or you have to walk a mile or so. The taxi's have no AC and all smell like the a$$ end of a horse! Ok, in all fairness thats because they are all horse drawn carriages. No cars allowed on the island. This is our annual stop to/from Oshkosh. The island is a great escape from reality and you'll have a good time even if the weather isn't cooperating. If you haven't been there, stop in. If you have, you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCTB.....Cut Bank Montana.
Great folks place to wash up and spend the night 2 courtesy cars and a great downtown and a flight hour from Glacier and some great fly camping. Even wih huge runways there is some grass that is maintained by the local cub pilot.
Flying Miss Daisy

ONE of my favorites has to be Gander, NF one morning about 2 am..... weather at minimums (blowing snow, XW gusts to 40) and fuel getting critical.... locked on the ILS and then short one gear light.... quick recycle while intercepting the glideslope got the 3 Green we needed..... got lucky with a really good landing... fuel truck waiting and THEN being greeted by the prettiest young ramp gal in a fur coat who made sure we had a quick turn. I asked her how come she got the all-nighter work and she said she traded for it so she could go MOOSE hunting with her boyfriend over the coming weekend. Now that's my kind of gal..... and a great way to make a tough trip and airport memorable..!!!!

KCTB.....Cut Bank Montana.
Great folks place to wash up and spend the night 2 courtesy cars and a great downtown and a flight hour from Glacier and some great fly camping. Even wih huge runways there is some grass that is maintained by the local cub pilot.
Flying Miss Daisy

John,
You need to visit Cutbank in winter....:lol:

MTV

An important feature is having an FBO or building that it is open 24/7.
The FBO Big Piney,WY rivals a Hilton garden Inn. Big comfee leather sofa, 52 in Plasma,shower, Internet,Kitchen, Snacks and car. SS gas.

Last edited:
Strum,Wisconsin every sat A.M. good coffee and doughnuts! Even better people! Nice grass runway with a laid back down home atmosphere

Steve - That is a good question. I have been to a lot of them, but I can't think of an answer for you. Sorry.

PS: If you are thinking of running a FBO somewhere, here is one thing that we DO NOT have around here. In the winter and if you are on straight skis, none of our airports has the fuel where you can get it after they have plowed. I always thought I'd have the fuel pumps between the pavement and the grass area.

Last edited:
If you want picturesque in a different way then there is Andover New Jersey. I know you say New Jersey as pictureque. The approaches are excellent each over a lake to a manicured grass and paved runway. Funky control tower and of course with Damian on site it is cub country. Diner in town and bed and breakfast adjoining the airport.
J

Back