• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tailwheel Chain

On Patrol

BENEFACTOR
Wentworth NH" The WAD" NH96
A new tailspring has the BBW landing straight again on pavement however the chain for the horn became tighter. In looking at this chain it appears to be plain old window chain am I correct? How slack should it be as right now I know I am way to taut.
Thanks
John

There is a difference in chain she scott chain you get in there kit is heavy duty just a heads up the cheaper stuff works but breaks easier and stretches
Steve C

It appears the quick links are longer than the clip provided by Piper and would give me slack but in checking ABW I do not see these listed for 3200 set up.
John

John

I have mine pretty loose as I find that if too taught you are turning the wheel along with the rudder in flight and I find that irritating.

Some nameless northerners don't even use the chains, they always get knocked off then flip up and punch a hole in the fabric.

I took my springs and chains off altogether, as well as the detents in the tail wheel, and really like the feel on the rudder. Steering is fine, just a few more taps on the brakes. Saves one even pound too.

In reality it is called toilet chain, and I have no doubt that they make heavy duty toilet chain for tailwheels at ten bucks a foot. Some Cub stuff was not originally off of a toilet, but that gasket for the fuel tank filler necks is now, and you can get them in the toilet department at Wal Mart.

For a Super Cub, I think I would look in to the Bushwheels links and rudder attach fittings. For a J-3 the toilet chain works great, and when the little springs jump out of the holes it helps to have a little piece of wire there to avoid having to sweep the runway for parts.

That toilet chain stuff? Opinion.

John,

Need someone to pull your chain????

The guys here are not done with the thermo loop I don't think...

They call it "Jack" chain up here. There is good stuff and then there is junk.

What is best for spring choice, tension or compression?

Thanks

All depends on what kind of "feel" you like, Tension works well as will the compression type. I have used both and prefer the compression type or none at all (full castering no connection)

Issue, for me, with compression springs is they sometimes damage things. You do a tight turn.. but not tight enough to disengage the pawl. Tailwheel is in mud. You then decide to go the other way... full rudder.. brake.. spring bottoms out and something gets bent.

Issue, for me, with compression springs is they sometimes damage things. You do a tight turn.. but not tight enough to disengage the pawl. Tailwheel is in mud. You then decide to go the other way... full rudder.. brake.. spring bottoms out and something gets bent.

That is why I prefer none at all....8)

Back