Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,840 of 2201

Thread: Building a Javron Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Bill,

You might start a thread on this forum, asking if anyone has a CC 18 (note that there are Super Cubs out there which CC called "Top Cubs as well, but they're 2000 lb) on amphibious floats who would be willing to copy the W/B graph for you. Or, you might try CC......

MTV
    It is all here on page 2.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/e2e611828ee3bf3586257ced0045b29c/$FILE/A00006SE_Rev_7.pdf
    N1PA

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete and Mike - AWESOME!! THANK YOU!!!

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    CC18-180 POH and maintenance manuals are free downloads on their site, amphib data (wip 2100A) begins in section 9.11.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/technical...ations/94/view
    Last edited by little wing; 09-26-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill:

What is the part number of the two diodes you used in your electric trim wiring? (Building a Javron Cub, page 2

Louis G. Bourgois III
    Lexington, Kentucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Louis

I just went to the local Radio Shack. There are probably better out there and perhaps one of the electrical guru types like Fobjob, Wireweenie, etc will chime in and give us better info, but this has been working just fine for me so far. I used #276-1661
    It is a four pack of 6 amp, 100V (the motor can only draw about 1.1 amps even when stalled out) diodes. You could also use 276-1114 a three pack of 2.5amp 100V

Hope this helps

Mom came to visit and got her first floatplane ride. She thought it was pretty cool.

Sis got her first floatplane ride as well. She loved it. Might do a stint with me next year in Alaska. Brave soul. LOL

One happy camper!!

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 10-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good on ya, Bill! Great photos, and a floatplane being used for what they're best at...having fun.

Anyone who needs electronic parts would do well to contact Digi Key in Thief River Falls, MN. They are a HUGE distributor of electronic components. I called them looking for a three way switch once, and wound up talking to a very knowledgeable person there. I explained what I wanted the thing to do, and they sent me precisely what I needed.....took maybe fifteen minutes on the phone, and the switch cost $3.00. And, it's been used heavily now for a long time.

Great outfit, and owned by a guy who owns and operates his parent's bakery. Great story. He built up the electronics business as a teen in his parent's basement. He worked in the bakery his folks owned....then took it over. Digi Key is HUGE, but he still works in the bakery, last I heard.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, Congrats on that last pic. I know what it has taken on the soul to finally get to land in the middle of a lake in a bird that you assembled yourself(not to discredit all the help along the way) It was a true smile of accomplishment. I just dropped off my fuselage to Javron Monday night and I look forward to the journey. Blue Skies, Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely gorgeous Bill ! Been a long road back, but look at the beauty you have now... enjoy! Mom for a ride, now that's something special.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful plane, Bill. Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Bill. Great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Thornberg is a VERY gifted photographer. Thank you Brad........

Also an excellent pilot. He flew my Cub like he had been flying it all summer. Thank you Brad!!

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Had a nice, but much too short, visit up North with Jay DeRosier, of Javron.

On Pelican Lake, MN.

Jay at the Brainerd airport.

Living the dream.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, i dont know if im saying this in the right way, but i bet Jay is as proud of his work as you are. Makes life a great thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Thanks for the kind words. The system seems to be working great. The manual pump takes about 15 strokes to extend and 13 to retract. Brad, Andy and Jay all had a chance to fly it and try it out. Perhaps they will post their opinion. I'm pretty biased.

I updated the index.

Here are a couple more Brad Thornberg (Cubus Maximus) pictures. Many Thanks to Brad for the photos. He is Blessed with great talent.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 12-12-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    That last photo is straight off the back cover of a '50s National Geographic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic photos. I call it perfection Bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Put images from Bill's visit here:

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/sh...y.php?cat=1273

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice airplane and very nice photos. Dear old friend Duffy Gaier of Marshfield, Wi FBO (86 years) has a sign in his office ---"Three kinds of people make up the world" # 1--there are those who make things happen.( Bill, Jae and Brad)---# 2 those who watch things happen---and # 3 those who wonder "what happened??"---Number three--geezer Dan--HA !

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

Your photo's of this post are remarkable. I don't know what you're doing, but they seem to have a "screen" or a "glaze" of some kind that makes the light & shadow quite beautiful. Good job! I don't recall ever seeing digital photographs with this character. Light is the key and apparently you have mastered it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Part of the reason for the "look" is shooting in RAW and editing with shadow/highlight tool in photoshop. Then I try and use black point to draw things more natural. Plus edit initially with Lab or ProPhoto RGB. Zane dislikes the end results and Steve wants me to shoot at lower shutter speeds, but if I keep practicing maybe I can get it closer to their valid points. Anyway, it's great fun to practice! That just means I get to fly the Cub more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad, those are fantastic shots. That one over the fall colors is amazing, I also like the one of Bill's freshly combed hair...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad - that Mark II and you make a good combination. Very Nice Shots.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Brad, those are fantastic shots. That one over the fall colors is amazing, I also like the one of Bill's freshly combed hair...

sj
    Back in 2002 I suggested that Steve consider publishing a Super Cub calendar. The main reason I suggested it was due to the spectacular photos that Brad ( and others) were posting on this site. Its good to see that he quality of his photos is still outstanding.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    As always, when I see any of Brad's photos, the first thing that comes to mind is simply "Wow!!!".

Great plane, great photos.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say enough good things about Brad - AKA Cubus Maximus - he is a great photographer. Very very talented.

Here is a photograph of the photographer while he was flying my Cub. He looks like he is having fun. (Note - I used his camera, hehehe).
    Darn good pilot too, I might add.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you account for dollars and cents like you did grams ounces and grams? Care to divulge the total expense?

It it is pretty. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the info. Installed the diodes and got the electric trim with the limiter switches working fine.
    LGB

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

Have you found Piper's published airspeed indicator color markings fit pretty well for your speeds? I'm about to order my ASI and need to provide marking info to the manufacturer. My airplane is a standard width Javron, ECI O-340, and round wing tips.

Thank you,
    Jasperfield

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing that picture and SJ's comment I went and got a haircut today.

Stewart - Check PM's

LGB - Glad to hear it all worked out. I love the electric trim

Keith - Yes, that will be close enough that you will not be able to tell the difference.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

I was fortunate to be able to let a couple of folks fly the Cub, and gave an unexpected (but certainly not unwelcome) guest his first floatplane ride, and recurrency flight.

I was privileged to have an opportunity to let Jim fly the Cub this week. Jim helped with my first build and again with this one. Excellent pilot, mechanic, and good friend. Thank you Jim.

Many of you know MMR. He has been in the SC.org community since the very beginning. He was at the first New Holstein gathering and has been to all but one of the last 15 or so gatherings. He was also at the Johnson Creek SC gathering before it became THE EVENT. Mark and I have made several trips to Canada and had a lot of "Cub" fun over the years. He was a huge help on this build and we enjoyed a lot of "Saturday build sessions" He flew on floats almost like he was a floatplane bush pilot. Thank you Mark

Glenn dropped in and we were able to get in a ride. Welcome back, buddy.

I have been so Blessed to have good friends in my life. Thank you all.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the plane makes the photos! Thank you very much for sharing.

Bill, I like the close up of you smiling. Bet you a bed for a few nights that we can make that reappear up here next summer!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    George - Thank you. Lord willing I hope to make the trip North for the Trade Show, on Amphibs. Then right after the show head down into the SE for a couple of weeks. So...... look for me right after the Trade Show. We need to talk, I have lots of questions. Thanks
    PS - I try not to take a bet I know I'm going to lose.

Spent the day in North Wisconsin with Cal and Mark. A good day on floats!!

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,
    When is the Trade Show?
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    30 Apr/1May 2016
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The main airport is 22 miles, the sheltered lake is 4 miles, we got you covered Bill.

Reading some of the back discussion, you drilled the break discs and talked about the brake pads wearing quickly. Did you chamfer the edges or leave them square?

Anyway, keep us posted on how the pump works, and how locations of everything works compared to anticipated.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    My take on the amphib manual pump is it works great and positioning is about as good as you can expect. Didn't love it at first (wanting to just throw the switch, and what's this dumb johnson bar on the right side? ), but then okay, we are back to old school hydraulic skis and ended up actually liking it.
    There may be a slight safety aspect to it as well as there is so much involvement, you can hardly slip into forgetting to put the gear up or down when float flying. And at 13/15 pumps up/down, it's a shorter time frame than typical ski installs. At least the ones I'm familiar with.

Bill did a nice clean job of the install and it feels rock solid when using it:
    Last edited by Cubus Maximus; 10-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Brad

Folks - I just gotta say - I'M HAVING A BALL WITH THIS THING.

With about a 10 knot breeze I'm off in 5 seconds. What a hoot. The manual pump system works like a dream. No regrets or issues at all. I love it.

I have been privileged to give over 20 rides so far and most have been in the front seat.

North Wisconsin at Cal's cabin.

My neighbor and friend Tom. He built a Kitfox, then a Murphy Rebel, and now is restoring a Champ. Tom helped with the Cub so it was nice to give him a little front seat float time.

Another neighbor and friend, Jim. He built a STUNNING Skybolt. It will win an award next year at Oshkosh.

Glenn is my next door neighbor. Restoring/building a Waco PSO biplane. Glenn and I met in the military, flew together, and share a love of Cubs. After I moved to the airpark I talked him into buying the lot next door and we have enjoyed being neighbors for close to 15 years now. Glenn owns a nice 46 J-3 that he lets me fly now and then. Hard to believe we have been friends for 26 years. Man - where does the time go?

Amphibs are a kick. Put the gear down and taxi up the boat ramp and into the parking lot.

About another week, perhaps less, then it will be time to come off floats and go to skis. I hope to go through the floats this winter and get them tuned up and ready for next summer in Alaska. I will also do the annual condition inspection, otherwise it will come due when I hope to be up North. It's going to be a busy winter.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    My ratty J4 is not going to last forever, you need to come out here and play before the old girl falls apart.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn

It is a ways off, but my tentative plan would be to do the WAD next fall plus spend a week or two letting you show me around your playground. So.......hopefully I'll see you next fall, on floats.

Bill
    Very Blessed.