Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 2,281 to 2,287 of 2287

Thread: Building a Javron Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a friend in our group who had a rather ugly old A65 Champ. It didn't have an impulse and was a bear to get started. I propped it a lot. Most times I could get two revolutions with one swing. We took the cylinders off one winter and our machinist friend rebuilt them and added an impulse. Next time I started it it had a nice snap when flipping it and started right up. Later that year I asked Ken the Champ owner how he liked all that power. He said except for starting better nothing changed, static and take off RPM were the same as was climb out.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A leaky exhaust valve will be like 2 tears in a bucket compared to all the volume of the cylinder compressing at 2600 rpm divided by 6. It doesn't surprise me that it makes no difference in rated horsepower.

I recently topped a cylinder in my O-470 that had compressions in the 30's and we decided to run it for quite a while after borescoping it. I know it was only 1 out of 6 cylinders, but I couldn't tell a difference in power when I got it back on line. Still made redline rpm and flew the same. It did give us the opportunity to inspect on other stuff inside like the cam and lifters with a jug out though. The cylinders looked good, but found corrosion and pitting in the lifters which we could not see from the borescope. Glad I caught that and replaced them at the same time as topping the jug. My engine guy squeezed me and I'm grateful - was only down a week.
    Thanks gisli thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Thank you all for your input.

I have a couple of shout outs that I would like to share.

AVEO LED LIGHTS
    My Aveo wingtip strobe/position lights went out. I replaced them with a new Aveo Ultra Daylight set. The mounting screw is a 5m screw verses a 10-32. That is not really normal for US aviation. I sent a rather terse and not happy email to Damien at Aveo. His response was very nice. I am VERY impressed by the customer service at Aveo. They will make some changes and most important I honestly feel like they care about the product and the customer. I wish every company was this good. Top notch service at Aveo. I highly recommend them and their products.

NFLIGHTCAM.COM
    If you need accessories for your GoPro to use it for aircraft video (cords to hook it into your audio, filters to get rid of prop effects, etc) these guys are awesome. Patrick and Courtney are Alaska pilots and campers. They love backcountry flying. Great products and OUTSTANDING customer service.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7736.jpeg 
Views:	665 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	61002
    I spent a big part of the winter building the "pilot Lounge" in my hangar. If you guys are ever up the Sandpoint Idaho way you have a place to stay.

Name:	IMG_7750.jpeg 
Views:	641 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	61003
    Love the hoist. It went back on floats pretty easy this week. It took about 4 minutes to get all 4 main bolts in. Sometimes it can take longer getting things to fit. This year the stars were lined up and it all came together slick as you please.

Name:	IMG_7751.jpeg 
Views:	627 
Size:	847.8 KB 
ID:	61004
    Annual Condition Inspection complete. Ready for another summer of adventure.

Name:	IMG_7764.jpeg 
Views:	648 
Size:	863.7 KB 
ID:	61005
    Lord willing I will be heading North again in a few days. This will be my seventh summer to Alaska. The old girl has been used, and abused. Worked hard for 1200 hours now and she still cleans up pretty good. I have been Blessed indeed. See you at the Trade show, then hopefully at New Holstein/Oshkosh this year, and finally Greenville in September.

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill stop by ft St. John on the way .place to stay look at lots of cubs here . We are planning to go to airman’s show next Wednesday.2 180 and 1 185. Let me know
    Likes jk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

I know in the middle of the build you can get frustrated and wonder why in the heck you ever thought you wanted to build an airplane. You want to just put a match to the whole thing. Don't give up. You will make it to the end and after all the angst it will take you on amazing adventures and to spectacular places. A few pictures to encourage you to hang in there.

Name:	IMG_7958.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	61233
    My friend Eric Holstrom flew his Cub up and is staying in the Forest Service Cabins. That is really fun. Mark Fiedler, and Bob Breeden are planning to join us as well.

Name:	IMG_7918.jpeg 
Views:	429 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	61234
    Baranof Cabin with some snow still on the ground

Name:	IMG_7808.jpeg 
Views:	419 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	61235Hassleborg Lake. It can be a little cool in early May but the snow capped mountains are just magnificent.

Name:	IMG_7797.jpeg 
Views:	429 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	61236Humpback Lake in Misty Fiords. Saw an avalanche on that mountain across the lake.

Keep the faith. It will be worth all the effort.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 05-26-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"
    Thanks Sam D, soyAnarchisto, SJ, Captain Ron, Delta Cub and 3 others thanked for this post
    Likes Cubus Maximus, OzAK, stknrddr, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Folks

Keep the faith. It will be worth all the effort.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. Were you reading my mind?

Not really…but the rough patches sometimes seem bigger than they are.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful hangar, Bill!!

[QUOTE=Bill Rusk;825623]Folks

Thank you all for your input.

I have a couple of shout outs that I would like to share.

AVEO LED LIGHTS
    My Aveo wingtip strobe/position lights went out. I replaced them with a new Aveo Ultra Daylight set. The mounting screw is a 5m screw verses a 10-32. That is not really normal for US aviation. I sent a rather terse and not happy email to Damien at Aveo. His response was very nice. I am VERY impressed by the customer service at Aveo. They will make some changes and most important I honestly feel like they care about the product and the customer. I wish every company was this good. Top notch service at Aveo. I highly recommend them and their products.

NFLIGHTCAM.COM
    If you need accessories for your GoPro to use it for aircraft video (cords to hook it into your audio, filters to get rid of prop effects, etc) these guys are awesome. Patrick and Courtney are Alaska pilots and campers. They love backcountry flying. Great products and OUTSTANDING customer service.

Name:	IMG_7736.jpeg 
Views:	665 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	61002
    I spent a big part of the winter building the "pilot Lounge" in my hangar. If you guys are ever up the Sandpoint Idaho way you have a place to stay.
    Likes KevinJ liked this post