Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,520 of 2243

Thread: Building a Javron Cub

Post Thanks / Like

Final version of the cowl decal.

Float decal - made by same sign shop as above decal

Tail Number decal - folks there are very specific rules on the size, font and spacing for the N number. Don't just create something out of thin air - you will get rejected on inspection - follow the FAA guidelines for this one

That is an insane amount of wire for a Cub. I have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to go basically all electric. Had a lot of help today from Jim, Buck and Bernie. Lots of progress but all pretty small stuff.

More wire.....sigh.....

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 05-27-2015 at 06:59 AM.
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, are you doing all the wiring now or did you do it before you put the boot cowl and engine on. One thing I will say is it's nice to have a removable boot cowl so you can hang the engine and still have access to behind the panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, nice work but I thought a full electrical system was two magneto "P" leads, I guess not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the photo of all the wires; It's helping me to move closer to conventional instruments.

How are you labeling the wires? Somewhere I read about a method to label the wires with markings printed on the wires. It would help when just grabbing a wire from a bundle, the label would appear all-along the wire. I don't recall how to re-find that information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom - Yes, all wiring at the end. I just run everything to the cockpit then do it all at once at the end. Thank heavens for friends that actually understand all this stuff. Most of it goes over my head.

Keith - Yea, I think I got carried away. Just because you "can does not always mean you should". Thank heavens I don't have an autopilot. But, when you go electric, like Dynon, GRT, Garmin there will be LOTS of wires, fuses, relays, diodes, over voltage modules, etc. You just can't have one without the other. However; I will also say it is REALLY easy to get carried away with all this stuff. Shoot for the Tony Bingeles wiring diagram, not the Bob Nuckolls one. The good news is it is still relatively light and when it all works it is great. One of my favorite sayings....

A LUXURY ONCE TASTED BECOMES A NECESSITY

Keith - here is a link to a quick post on how I label wires. It is only on the ends but it is easy, cheap, long lasting, etc.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...l=1#post466620

Thanks again to all my friends that have, and are, helping. It makes it a lot more fun.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's no longer years, months, weeks, it's down to days for the sign off.....awesome job Bill. I know many of us are awaiting that first flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks DW. Not really much to post right now just lots of small chores that sometimes turn into major events when you find out something does not fit right, work like it should, etc. Working 12 to 14 hours a day right now. I have been Blessed to have lots of good friends that have helped. Thank you. That part is of the build is the best part. Friends getting together and helping, visiting, etc. Good fun.
    I'll post soon when there is something helpful to post. Hoping to do the Weight and Balance on Friday. That will be interesting.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get it done Bill! We are all behind you waiting for your big day! What a Great Plane and a Legacy you have made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Soooo much work and so little to show it seems, but a few comments for other Javron (and cub builders in general) that might help someone and save time, money, frustration or all three.

Again a big thanks to my friends that have helped. Buck and Jim working here.

I ordered my brake lines from Chicago Connection at 773-229-0655. They are Earls lines and are pre-made braided stainless, with female ends that fit into the #4 an fittings commonly used on brakes. The number you want to order is EAR 641919- XX XX = length in inches from the nipple to the nipple. Not the length of the hose part and not the total length. (it will be about 1" less than the total length) I used a 6" line from the fitting on the lower gear leg to the brake caliper and a 12" line from the brake master cyl to the top of the gear leg where it joins the hard line that runs down the gear leg.

A new friend and relatively new neighbor here at the airpark "Shaker" (from being an ex-fighter pilot = his callsign) came by and before he knew what happened he got put to work. Shaker just completed a STUNNING Steen Skybolt. You will see it at Oshkosh and it will be a winner. At any rate we were getting some interference between the brake torque plate and the inside of the wheel/brake disc. I have not yet spoken to R. Grove about this but I will. I think this is a new torque plate design or perhaps just a compatibility issue. The grove wheels and brakes are really really nice. This is probably my issue not theirs. At any rate Shaker and a belt sander fixed the problem.

So another friend stopped in to check up on things and he too ended up with a job. Starting to see a pattern here? This is a very active airport with lots of really great folks and it is a lot of fun. At any rate Rick here ended up making some inspection cover plates. They turned out perfect. Rick is a pretty active floatplane guy.

It is just a series of problems to be solved. I think the throttle arm/lever is too short. The ruler represents the top of the throttle box (throttle cover that is about 4' long and 6 inches wide. I call that the throttle box. You can see it better here.......

It might be a little hard to see but the thin silver line right through the center of the ball is the ruler and where the top of the throttle box would be. Bottom line is the throttle ball hits the top of the box before you get full travel. I called Javron and Jay was all over it. New throttle levers in the mail same day. Can't say enough good things about Jay. Apparently there is some variation here, so you other Javron guys will need to check this and if necessary call Jay. He will make it right.

So.....lowering the mount 2 inches creates some issues....

1) the lower tube coming from the bottom left mount now comes really close to the gascolator (hits it on the standard firewall position)

2) the same lower arm interferes with the cabin air box

3) it interferes with the cowling/Sutton exhaust as previously reported

4) the throttle cable ends up being too short

5) the standard throttle and mixture clamps no longer fit or work right

In order for the gascolator to stay under the motor mount tube it must be positioned as low as possible on the firewall. The fuel line coming from inside is the limiting factor. You can see that mine here is right on top of the floorboard.

This is your basic standard cabin air box. Note the flange is in the center of the box with about 1/2" edge clearance. This will NOT fit if you lower the engine like I did.

So first I lowered the flange to the very bottom of the box. Then I moved the front of the box back to the edge of the bottom flange.......basically I am shrinking the box....

Then I slanted the top of the box down to the edge of the flange again.

This was still not enough.....I had to cut the corner off and ...........

And capped it like this. Now it fits. A lot of unexpected work. I would still lower the engine 2 inches but it will be easier for you because you have an idea of where it is going to cause problems. Lower cowl with the Sutton exhaust, gascolator, cabin air box, throttle cable length, throttle cable and mixture cable clamps, and there may be others I am forgetting.

Jim helped me with the firewall forward last time, and also helped fly off the 40 hour test phase, here he is at it again. Great guy, A&P/ IA, and like my friend Buck, has forgotten more than I'll ever know. We spent HOURS trying to figure out why the oil temp probe would not fit. Finally called the Grand Rapids tech rep and found out they had a bad batch of machining and they sent a new probe......BUT......that has been happening a lot the last few weeks.....a simple 15 minute job turns out to take several hours or even a couple of days (like fitting the cabin air box). Arrrrggggggg...............

Well, hopefully some of this will be of help to someone out there in Cubsville......."say goodnight Johnboy"............ back at it tomorrow.........

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 05-14-2015 at 06:27 AM.
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think their is a builder who hasn't gone through those type of issues, i know i did, BUT all the frustration is forgotten the first time the wheels leave the ground! keep trudging brother

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bill! It's clear the push is on. I'm in the detestable Chi town now and had hoped to come by before or after the meetings. Not only do I think I'd be in the way now, you may be scaring actually qualified would be helpers off . I really hate being so close and not having the chance to come out, feel a little cheated here brother.

On one hand it seems like yesterday you were covering the wings. On the other it's very hard to comprehend a full year has passed, seemed so close to the push then.

J/C looks more doable with every post. I have some ideas on the heat distribution box, but too much to do at this point, I know you have a few things you want to rework or redo later as time allows. I think it would more evenly distribute heat and make it comfortable for both, front and rear seater. Get'er flyin' and we'll talk later. Please tell Buck Hi for me, he, like you, seems like a brother from another mother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill - I hope you will find time, even if it is a working visit. It would be my pleasure.

We will do the weight and Balance tomorrow. And the final inspection is tentatively scheduled for 26th of May.

Man it sure sits tall. Love it.

Jim on the left and Jim (Shaker) on the right. Thanks gents!!

Tomorrow will be pretty interesting. We will see how we did on the weight.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Bill! Can't wait to see it at JC. Before the weigh-in, how about posting the W&B "guess board" for all to see?

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Your amazing Bill

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    (Drum Roll) 1051.555 No one want to guess in the upper 9s?
    Last edited by tempdoug; 05-15-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1057 lbs. It's awesome, You new what you wanted in a Cub, I think you got it and then some! Go Fly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, you move quick. Hope you come in light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, beautiful job and great sense of accomplishment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its still not too late to put in a guess........

Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    1103lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking you need to live stream the weigh in.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    1068 lbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    1072 Great job. Can't wait to get my wings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Light Hauler

Post Thanks / Like
    That's one big smile there Bill you should be proud of your self. Nice job, looks sharpe, congratulations.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	20114
    Larry Experimental Supercub PA18 wide body
    http://www.mykitlog.com/Supercub
    I'm positive there is no life on other planets - if there where, America would be sending them financial aid

Post Thanks / Like

It sure looks very nice. I"m sure she''ll fly even nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The weight came in at 1058. Winner is Dave, AKA Flymore. I will post more details tonight. Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It has been a heck of a run and it is not over yet. Still a LOT to get done before the 26th. First off I was wrong about the weight. It came in at 1059. So the new winner is Rob McChargue from Palmer Alaska who guessed 1058.5
    I did not add the numbers. I was running around the hangar holding this, checking level, taking pictures, etc. Someone called out the numbers and another person was adding them up and obviously Shaker can't add. I just now got in the house and looked at the pictures. Pictures do not lie. We actually weighed the airplane twice on two separate sets of scales. Both sets came up with the exact same number for the total and the tail. There was a little variation left to right but only a couple of pounds and both indicated the left wing to be a couple of pounds heavier than the right.

Right main

Left main

Tail Total 499+503+57 = 1059

I did not take a picture of each part with the second set of scales I just took the total shown here. Amazing that both sets of scales came up with the exact same total.
    So I feel pretty confident 1059 is the answer.

In progress (No, SB the chocks were NOT touching the tires)

You can see the second set of scales on the floor in the foreground

The weigh team L-R Shaker, Steve, Jim, and Tom. Chris also helped but he had to bail out before I could get a picture.

But WAIT, ...... theres more....... (order today and we will double......

Turned on the power today. Nothing smoked. Had a couple of glitches but managed to sort them out. I'm sure I will find a couple of more details but it seems to be working as planned.

Thanks again folks. It was a great day. I am very very pleased with the weight. A full up, square wing, 0-360 cub with all the mods, 31's, full electrical, full interior, etc at 1059. I'm happy with that.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!!! Hope to see you drop in here in MT someday!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I win a prize Bill? Congrats on getting to the punch list phase. All in all it's a very impressive plane especially that small number! When I saw it in the hanger during construction I was impressed, I can't wait to see her fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was that with or with out the the 10* of lead in the tail 1059+10=1069=winner��
    Larry Experimental Supercub PA18 wide body
    http://www.mykitlog.com/Supercub
    I'm positive there is no life on other planets - if there where, America would be sending them financial aid

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Bill, Your weight objective has been accomplished. We can all start making airplane noises now. Will the hydraulic pump for the floats fit on those ballast supports which you have in the tail? Unless my math is in error at 12.66", your CG is very far forward .
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job Bill! In a way it seems like that build went really fast. My fuselage is supposed to be finished from the welder this week and I will be referencing your notes for the entire build. Look forward to flying up and seeing you.
    Denny
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bill. That is gonna be a great performer.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    That has to be one of, if not the, lightest "equipped" 180hp super cub in the country! Congratulations Bill, hope I get to see it some day! Keep it out of the Clark's Fork!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Looks great Bill, Your weight objective has been accomplished. We can all start making airplane noises now. Will the hydraulic pump for the floats fit on those ballast supports which you have in the tail? Unless my math is in error at 12.66", your CG is very far forward .
    I don't know about floats but that is a pretty good CG on wheels in my opinion from the Super Cubs I have weighed and flown.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't know about floats but that is a pretty good CG on wheels in my opinion from the Super Cubs I have weighed and flown.
    Congratulations Bill! You're almost finished with just one more hurdle to go to get the Airworthiness Certificate in hand.

Curious about the CG comments I looked up the CG from my PA18 when I owned it. The empty weight was 1131 and the EW CG was 10.0".
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones I have been around that were between 9-10" EW were nose heavy if you were flying light by yourself. Bill Tracy moved his battery back to stock location and went from a 9.33" to somewhere in the 12s I think. He said it flew a lot better. I guess it all depends on if you are loaded or not as well.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers