• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA to shut down friday 22?????

Wow.

it is amazing that Kitty Hawk happened with 32,000 less people helping the 'safety of flight'.

What ever will we do...

No 337's though

Wait a minute, who is going to do my field approvals? Oh yea, I forgot, no one, just like the last 3 years.
I'm trying to remember what they do for me, my memory fails me.
Shut em down. No great loss here.

While sitting at home, they will probably be monitoring SC.org for lack of anything better to do. When they are finally allowed to go back to work, they will have a list of people to go after. On top of that, they will probably get retro-active pay for doing it.....

X2 on the talkeetna thing.

Maybe I won't get ramped at moose camp with their (contracted) bell 206 this year either

Maybe they will catch up on the 135 backlog. There's a positive.

As much as I hate the bloated bureaucracy that has become our federal government I really don't want to see it fail. The part that truly scares me, is that decisions on real estate and other items that were made partially on existing tax laws will now become unsustainable with the changes that are likely to be coming. I see the real estate market headed for another major hit in the near future.

sounds like the time to buy your plane tickets starts saturday, NO TAX....
The situation could be a financial boon for airline passengers. Barring an agreement, the taxes will disappear from airline and ticket-selling websites at midnight Friday.
The federal tax on a $300 round-trip airfare is about $61, according to the Air Transport Association. Airlines would still collect airport fees.
"The airlines have been alerted to the potential to need to make this change, and are working on it,"

http://www.adn.com/2011/07/21/1979120/faa-shutdown-would-cost-us-millions.html

There is nothing particularly amusing about the financial state of this country and the effects of a government shutdown would be catastrophic. Not that it would happen, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if the FAA was directed to cut X% of their budget and was directed (as often happens in private industry) to gain that % by eliminating contracts for external spending first. Wonder if the FAA would eliminate the contracted helicopters or if they would say that they can't run control towers without contract expenditures?

It'll take more than FAA cuts. Ron Paul shows where the real problem lies.

First, it purports to eventually balance the budget without cutting military spending, Social Security, or Medicare. This is impossible. These three budget items already cost nearly $1 trillion apiece annually. This means we can cut every other area of federal spending to zero and still have a $3 trillion budget. Since annual federal tax revenues almost certainly will not exceed $2.5 trillion for several years, this Act cannot balance the budget under any plausible scenario.

The Precedent exists that an Airworthiness Cert expires after 1 year.

What would it take to re-instate that; with a $500 (or higher) fee?

All non- pilot folks think we're RICH!

cure.jpg

Class E, Tower kabits, bear infested, fishing close, beer allowed, TSA exempt!

Tower only active when you see a person in a lawn chair wanting to talk to you!

looks like sale time......
Congress departs with FAA set to partially shut down

By NBC's Tom Costello
Congress has left for the week without reauthorizing the Federal Aviation Administration's budget.
That means furloughs and on-going airport projects will be halted.
Specifically, the FAA says:
-- 4,000 FAA employees in 35 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico will be furloughed
-- air-traffic-control operations will NOT be affected, but engineers, scientists, analysts, office staff, etc. will be affected
-- it will not be able to collect taxes, according to the airlines.
"I'm very disappointed that Congress adjourned today without passing a clean extension of the FAA bill," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "Because of their inaction, states and airports won't be able to work on their construction projects, and too many people will have to go without a paycheck. This is no way to run the best aviation system in the world."
Earlier this week, NBC's Luke Russert explained why Congress was unable to pass an extension to keep the entire FAA open.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_new...s-departs-with-faa-set-to-partially-shut-down

One airline, U.S. Airways, was already raising its fares. Other airlines may try to reap a windfall profit from the tax holiday.
Passengers who bought their tickets before the shutdown, but who travel during the shutdown, may wind up due a refund, Treasury Department spokeswoman Sandra Salstrom said. That's because it's not clear whether the government can keep taxes for travel that takes place during a period when the government doesn't have authority to collect taxes, she said.
Likewise, it wasn't clear if passengers who buy tickets after midnight with no taxes included would wind up owing taxes if their travel took place after FAA's operating authority is restored, she said.

Years ago, the US Coast Guard was notified by Congress that their budget would be reduced by a percentage for the upcoming fiscal year.

After a short period of reflection, the Coast Guard Commandant sent a letter to both houses of Congress, listing the reductions and cuts in service that would take place IF the proposed budget reductions actually came to pass.

This list contained closing several lifeboat stations in critical areas along the coast, it included closing the largest Coast Guard Air Station (which lay strategically in one of the most powerful Senator's states), it included draconian cuts to many search and rescue functions of the Coast Guard.

The last item on the list of "cuts" to be initiated IF Congress were to in fact reduce the Coast Guard budget: "Transfer the US Coast Guard Band from Washington, DC to New London, CT".

I could never decide whether the CG threw that one in there as a little humor or if they were actually serious, but in any case, Congress renewed the Coast Guard budget to its previous level after that threat.

Agencies will never cut themselves because the Cabinet Secretaries are concerned about their power, and their power is reflected in their budgets and numbers of personnel. Same goes all the way down the power structure. And, any time Congress even suggests a budget cut, the agency heads instantly find some funding target for a very powerful member of congress and threaten to cut that. The result is always the same: Congress caves in and funds the pork.

THAT is what must change at some point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone knows how to fix that part of the system. Congressional reps are elected by MONEY, not by us. THAT's what needs to be fixed first.

Anyone know how?

MTV

Congress?

Congress proposed a balanced budget with no new revenue. They did their job. In these tough times a lot of us want government to cut it's size, not go after new revenue (including loopholes). we want government to tighten it's belt. It's what all the rest of us have to do when we max out our credit card. That's what the last election was all about. The President and Senate have refused to sign a balanced budget with no new revenue. That's their problem and they are making it our problem. Congress should go home. There is nothing else for them to do.

not to turn this to political....

but are we ( the govm'nt) operating a ponzi scheme, since $0.42 of each $1.00 we spend is provided by new investors????

Back