Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA to shut down friday 22?????

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

FAA to shut down friday 22?????

hmmmm, just in time for hunting season.....

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._205002-1.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Wooooohooooo!

They can't do nearly the damage from home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

it is amazing that Kitty Hawk happened with 32,000 less people helping the 'safety of flight'.

What ever will we do...

No 337's though
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    You watch there won't be one single accident while their away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    No 337's though
    Won't need them if Feds stay home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart,

While I agree with you, the idiocy of the situation leaves room to cry, or jest...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute, who is going to do my field approvals? Oh yea, I forgot, no one, just like the last 3 years.
    I'm trying to remember what they do for me, my memory fails me.
    Shut em down. No great loss here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a guy could fly into Talkeetna for a burger without getting harassed.

Post Thanks / Like
    While sitting at home, they will probably be monitoring SC.org for lack of anything better to do. When they are finally allowed to go back to work, they will have a list of people to go after. On top of that, they will probably get retro-active pay for doing it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the talkeetna thing.

Maybe I won't get ramped at moose camp with their (contracted) bell 206 this year either

Maybe they will catch up on the 135 backlog. There's a positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB View Post
    There's nothing funny or good about the situation in our country's financial condition. I hope y'all aren't carrying a bunch of debt.

SB
    Agreed, on both points.

Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I hate the bloated bureaucracy that has become our federal government I really don't want to see it fail. The part that truly scares me, is that decisions on real estate and other items that were made partially on existing tax laws will now become unsustainable with the changes that are likely to be coming. I see the real estate market headed for another major hit in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real leaders would have cut their own pay and budgets by now if there was a problem!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like the time to buy your plane tickets starts saturday, NO TAX....

The situation could be a financial boon for airline passengers. Barring an agreement, the taxes will disappear from airline and ticket-selling websites at midnight Friday.
    The federal tax on a $300 round-trip airfare is about $61, according to the Air Transport Association. Airlines would still collect airport fees.
    "The airlines have been alerted to the potential to need to make this change, and are working on it,"
    http://www.adn.com/2011/07/21/197912...-millions.html

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing particularly amusing about the financial state of this country and the effects of a government shutdown would be catastrophic. Not that it would happen, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if the FAA was directed to cut X% of their budget and was directed (as often happens in private industry) to gain that % by eliminating contracts for external spending first. Wonder if the FAA would eliminate the contracted helicopters or if they would say that they can't run control towers without contract expenditures?
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll take more than FAA cuts. Ron Paul shows where the real problem lies.

First, it purports to eventually balance the budget without cutting military spending, Social Security, or Medicare. This is impossible. These three budget items already cost nearly $1 trillion apiece annually. This means we can cut every other area of federal spending to zero and still have a $3 trillion budget. Since annual federal tax revenues almost certainly will not exceed $2.5 trillion for several years, this Act cannot balance the budget under any plausible scenario.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Precedent exists that an Airworthiness Cert expires after 1 year.

What would it take to re-instate that; with a $500 (or higher) fee?

All non- pilot folks think we're RICH!

Post Thanks / Like
    So, how long do I get to use the grass at Tulsa Riverside?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirby, Mike,

You crack me up!!!!

and the grass is usable all the time at my place Kirby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Kirby, Mike,

You crack me up!!!!

and the grass is usable all the time at my place Kirby!
    So is your place radar served Class D airspace too?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Class E, Tower kabits, bear infested, fishing close, beer allowed, TSA exempt!

Tower only active when you see a person in a lawn chair wanting to talk to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like sale time......
    Congress departs with FAA set to partially shut down

By NBC's Tom Costello
    Congress has left for the week without reauthorizing the Federal Aviation Administration's budget.
    That means furloughs and on-going airport projects will be halted.
    Specifically, the FAA says:
    -- 4,000 FAA employees in 35 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico will be furloughed
    -- air-traffic-control operations will NOT be affected, but engineers, scientists, analysts, office staff, etc. will be affected
    -- it will not be able to collect taxes, according to the airlines.
    "I'm very disappointed that Congress adjourned today without passing a clean extension of the FAA bill," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "Because of their inaction, states and airports won't be able to work on their construction projects, and too many people will have to go without a paycheck. This is no way to run the best aviation system in the world."
    Earlier this week, NBC's Luke Russert explained why Congress was unable to pass an extension to keep the entire FAA open.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ally-shut-down

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we close Congress?????
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    One airline, U.S. Airways, was already raising its fares. Other airlines may try to reap a windfall profit from the tax holiday.
    Passengers who bought their tickets before the shutdown, but who travel during the shutdown, may wind up due a refund, Treasury Department spokeswoman Sandra Salstrom said. That's because it's not clear whether the government can keep taxes for travel that takes place during a period when the government doesn't have authority to collect taxes, she said.
    Likewise, it wasn't clear if passengers who buy tickets after midnight with no taxes included would wind up owing taxes if their travel took place after FAA's operating authority is restored, she said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad government employees don't have enough self-respect to quit their jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    heck those govamint workers need a break anyways the trout are biting

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago, the US Coast Guard was notified by Congress that their budget would be reduced by a percentage for the upcoming fiscal year.

After a short period of reflection, the Coast Guard Commandant sent a letter to both houses of Congress, listing the reductions and cuts in service that would take place IF the proposed budget reductions actually came to pass.

This list contained closing several lifeboat stations in critical areas along the coast, it included closing the largest Coast Guard Air Station (which lay strategically in one of the most powerful Senator's states), it included draconian cuts to many search and rescue functions of the Coast Guard.

The last item on the list of "cuts" to be initiated IF Congress were to in fact reduce the Coast Guard budget: "Transfer the US Coast Guard Band from Washington, DC to New London, CT".

I could never decide whether the CG threw that one in there as a little humor or if they were actually serious, but in any case, Congress renewed the Coast Guard budget to its previous level after that threat.

Agencies will never cut themselves because the Cabinet Secretaries are concerned about their power, and their power is reflected in their budgets and numbers of personnel. Same goes all the way down the power structure. And, any time Congress even suggests a budget cut, the agency heads instantly find some funding target for a very powerful member of congress and threaten to cut that. The result is always the same: Congress caves in and funds the pork.

THAT is what must change at some point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone knows how to fix that part of the system. Congressional reps are elected by MONEY, not by us. THAT's what needs to be fixed first.

Anyone know how?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

Congress?

Congress proposed a balanced budget with no new revenue. They did their job. In these tough times a lot of us want government to cut it's size, not go after new revenue (including loopholes). we want government to tighten it's belt. It's what all the rest of us have to do when we max out our credit card. That's what the last election was all about. The President and Senate have refused to sign a balanced budget with no new revenue. That's their problem and they are making it our problem. Congress should go home. There is nothing else for them to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    not to turn this to political....

but are we ( the govm'nt) operating a ponzi scheme, since $0.42 of each $1.00 we spend is provided by new investors????

Post Thanks / Like
    The sad part of the situation is, even if all those Government employees get fuloughed for say 60 days, when the budget gets passed they will still get all their back pay, accrued vaction days, etc. So a nice paid vacation, compliments of Mr and Mrs. taxpayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't blame the employees for the politician's fiasco.

While we tend to knock the feds my experience is most (not ALL) are folks just

trying to do their job & get by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely not blaming the employees. I was only trying to state an observation of how broke the system is. Sorry if you took it wrong, PoP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoo; no problem.

I'm thinking the great leaders of the past from BOTH parties are rolling over in their graves.

During the '60's Nuclear War was compared to 2 people in a swimming pool filled with gas

and throwing lit matches at each other.

Now WE are doing it to ourselves.

We didn't get get in this mess overnight & we won't get out overnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because most federal employees are trying to do their job and get by doesn't mean their job is actually important, or that their job even needs to exist. Just means they can't get hired anywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akwing View Post
    Just because most federal employees are trying to do their job and get by doesn't mean their job is actually important, or that their job even needs to exist. Just means they can't get hired anywhere else.
    I disagree, there is always room at TSA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonahcub View Post
    The sad part of the situation is, even if all those Government employees get fuloughed for say 60 days, when the budget gets passed they will still get all their back pay, accrued vaction days, etc. So a nice paid vacation, compliments of Mr and Mrs. taxpayer.

That is NOT a forgone conclusion at this point! Seems unlikly at best. This is not 1996.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    @ aktango58

Is that sarcasm? There is no reason why TSA exists. The drones that work there aren't even smart enough to realize that their jobs are a joke (have you seen them? they take their jobs seriously, they think their doing something good for this country, ha). TSA employees couldn't get hired anywhere else, which is why they work for the federal government.

There is always room at TSA, are there is no reason for it. It's comparable to welfare.

Post Thanks / Like
    some airlines quietly began raising fares — on average, roughly by the same amount as the federal taxes. Others did the same over the weekend, and most of the rest joined in on Monday. Story: More airlines raise fares to grab tax savings Alaska Airlines and the discount carrier Spirit Airlines were among the few holdouts, said Rick Seaney, the chief executive of FareCompare.com, which monitors airline fares. In a statement, Spirit Airlines took the opportunity to chide its competitors.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43899311/ns/travel-news/

Post Thanks / Like
    so what have you experienced at the local FSDO level?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9OS66H82.htm

FAA shutdown to continue as Congress leaves

By JOAN LOWY
    WASHINGTON
    A partisan stalemate that has partially shut down the Federal Aviation Administration will continue into September, stopping airport construction projects and depriving federal coffers of potentially more than $1 billion in uncollected ticket taxes, after congressional attempts to reach deal fell through on Tuesday.
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., initially told reporters that he would be willing to accept a House Republican bill to restore the FAA's operating authority even though it contained cuts in subsidies for rural air service that some Democrats oppose. But he later reversed course after a possible deal with House Republicans had fallen through.
    The Senate was due to leave for its August recess Tuesday. The House left Monday.
    "Republicans are playing reckless games with airline safety," Reid said in a statement. "We should not let ideology interfere with making sure that Americans' air travel runs as smoothly and safely as possible."
    The FAA's operating authority expired on July 23, as well as the authority of airlines to collect about $30 million a day in ticket taxes, meaning the government will be unable to collect an estimated $1.2 billion in taxes if the shutdown continues until lawmakers return to work next month.
    Nearly 4,000 FAA employees have been laid off and stop work orders issues for more than 200 construction projects. Air traffic controllers have remained on the job, and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has vowed that safety won't be compromised and travelers won't be inconvenienced
    Republicans blame Democrats for the shutdown, saying they have been unwilling to accept minor cuts to a rural air services program long criticized as wasteful. But Democrats said the air services cuts were being used as leverage to force them to give in to the House on a labor provision in a separate, long-term FAA funding bill that would make it more difficult for airline workers to unionize.
    President Barack Obama implored Congress to settle the dispute before lawmakers leave Washington for the August recess, calling the stalemate "another Washington-inflicted wound on America."
    LaHood, a former GOP congressman, conveyed the same message in a series of private meetings on Capitol Hill and phone calls to lawmakers, but was unable to clinch a deal.
    With House Republicans gone, the only way Senate Democrats could end the shutdown was to accept a previously-passed House bill that includes a provision eliminating $16.5 million in air service subsidies for 13 rural communities.
    The extension bill was necessary because the FAA's long-term operating authority expired in 2007. Since then, Congress has been unable to agree on a long-term funding plan. The agency has continued to operate under a series of 20 short-term extensions.
    The labor provision would overturn a National Mediation Board rule approved last year that allows airline and railroad employees to form a union by a simple majority of those voting. Under the old rule, workers who didn't vote were treated as "no" votes.
    Republicans complain that the new rule reverses 75 years of precedent to favor labor unions. Democrats and union officials say the change puts airline and railroad elections under the same democratic rules required for unionizing all other companies.
    The White House warned in March that Obama would veto an FAA bill containing the labor provision.