• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skyraider Ultralight?

Wannabe Cubdriver

Winnipeg, MB
So I have this idea that the only way I'm going to actually get flying is to go the ultralight/kit route. The cost of maintaining, insuring and hangaring a certified a/c means that my family would have to get used to store brand mac and cheeze, of which I am sure there will be considerable objection.

I've had this thought that the Skyraider Super is a considerable yet maybe a reasonable compromise; being experimental should reduce the maintenance costs and the folding wings (so long as they don't fold in flight) means it can live in my garage. They claim it can be built in 400hrs, so I likely wouldn't need an advanced degree in aeronautics to put it together...

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these, and wondering if the HKS or Rotax 582 powerplant would be suitable on floats? Any other ideas, or should I just stick to daydreaming?

Cheers!

if you are looking at going down that route check out the rans s7, its been around for a long time and has a pretty good track record.

I have quite a bit of experience with the Sky Raider/Ridge Runner series aircraft. Stace Schrader and his late brother Kenny designed it - they both worked for Dean Wilson (of Avid Aircraft fame) and Dan Denny (of Kitfox fame). They started Flying K together but went seperate ways. Kenny was killed in a Skyraider ultralight crash shortly after he and Stace split. Stace and his dad continued on with the Rocky Mountain Wings Ridge Runners. The SkyRaider series went through several owners, and it appears the new owner has done some good work with them, although I have yet to see one of the new Super Skyraiders.

They have great short field performance and the wings fold easily, but they are not as tough as a Supercub. (but what is?? :))

The HKS is ultra-reliable - just a great 60 hp 4-stroke engine. I would strongly suggest going that route. A little more up-front cost, but at 2.5 gph fuel burn, no 2-stroke oil to buy, and a 1000 TBO, it will pay for itself if flown often. I've been involved with the HKS for 15 years, and installed them on a Kitfox and Ridge Runner. As a long-time dealer, I was asked to be part of the first service/overhaul school put on buy HKS. I met with the project engineer from Japan - I can assure you that they are very concerned about reliability and performance, and will not sacrifice one for the other.

Like Kiwi said, the RANS S7 is also a great choice, although it is better with an 80 hp+ engine, and a little more expensive.

Here's a good vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8X4VVU1ak&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for the info Chris, it isn't really the way I want to go, I'd rather a Champ/Chief/TCart or similar with a C90, I could go Owner Maintenance category, but I still have hangar costs, which can be over $600/mo in places around here. I have to say that when I hear of accidents claiming the lives of the designers, I get a little apprehensive.

Kiwi, I like the Rans too, it looks like a great a/c, but it is still pretty costly and apparently much more demanding to build. The big problem here is that there isn't much to look at, there are a few Challengers around but that's about it for kits, all the certified guys have 150s or 172s, finding local knowledge is difficult.

Don't be too apprehensive about these birds - they are well proven, and Kenny, from what I was told, was chasing coyotes at low altitude - designer or not - a dangerous stunt if that is what happened (being that it was an ultralight, it was never investigated and the scene was cleaned up before it could be - it's a long story - I won;t bore you with the details)

My first instructor was killed in a Challenger crash - cracked spar that was never detected after the first crash it was involved in - not the planes fault.

There are many flying with many happy pilots. Let me know if I can give you more info.

I am building a Ridgerunner right now. I have to say that Stace Schrader will give you no support "nothing" "0" he will not return phone calls, emails, nothing! you buy it it's yours!!
so, as soon as I am done with this Ill be starting my carbon cub. It will be here the end of Jan. 2014 and the support from cub crafters has been SUPERB !!! I can't wait to get started on it. (I have had it with Stace Schrader!)

If you want a true part 103 "ultralight" with no pilot or vehicle license I would recommend the Quicksilver Sprint series of aircraft. 20,000 Quicks plus flying world wide. In the LSA versions they are much stronger than the "strutted" aircraft (stay away from the sport 2s as it's a bit of a dog and apparently was designed to get the pilot pilot to purchase it since it looked "normal" with the struts. Get the wire braced version for more strength and better performance.) Good customer service, low price, great safety record, lots of used units and parts, and a good user support group. No surprises and 4-8000 will get you a good to great condition used one. I think other than the strutted versions the they are stressed designed to -3 g/+7g's. Put them together right and they are not coming apart.

I sure found out dismantling to take home was not a good option. Admittedly I'm talking the Quicksilver series that advertises quick tear down for transport but I found it took hours as basically you had to perform an annual to insure everything was ready for safe flight. Also it was a bit like a boat on a trailer where when you thought about going sometimes it just seemed like to much hassle. I really like owning a hanger. If starting over I would buy a hanger first then find my dream airplane.

Not sure I would agree with qsmx440 regarding the statement of staying away from the "strutted" aircrafts. I have owned both the MXL Sport (wire braced) and the Sport 2S (which I currently have) and had them both on wheels and on floats. The Sport 2S is a much stronger airframe, specially on floats. No twisting or warping.
The Sport 2S (strut braced) has a max takeoff weight of 1000 lbs and a useful load of 556lbs. The VNE is set at 80mph.
The MX II Sprint (wire braced) has a MTW of 720lbs, useful load of 390lbs and the VNE is 75mph.
The Sport 2S has been maintenance free for the last 10 years except for spark plugs on the Rotax 582. The MXL Sport I've had to replace the wires every few years due to stretching. The higher useful load of the Sport 2S makes it a better 2 place float airplane...

Lots of inexpensive older Avid's and Kitfoxes out there, already flying, for pretty cheap, same airplane sorta kinda.

Back