Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low oil pressure, overhaul time?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second that, am real interested in what caused the oily plugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    how did the rings feel...I just pulled a 470 cylinders off on two for low compression....older engine had high oil temps....the cylinders were perfectly sized and flawless....the rings on those two had a very rounded off feeling. the edges were not squared and sharp....That owner was very happy we investigated rather than replace

Post Thanks / Like
    Update mechanic is very busy reassembling a school plane so no "professional opinion" but rings are not sharp edged and bore of cylinders are glass smooth with no crosshatch evident, which may explain oily plugs. accessory case behind oil pump gears scored which may allow some bypass thus low oil pressure. IA says engine probably have made the 200 hrs to tbo without failure, and is chiding me somewhat forspending money before necessary. I can only respond that this is not my "business" airplane and I am enjoying the process, Besides cleaning plugs every second flight was becoming a pita. Cases are going to Divco and steel parts to Rick Roman as per the IA's direction, any thoughts on good shops for OIL COOLER , CARBURETOR, and BENDIX MAGS ?

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE ADDITION: Camshaft had started to break through nitriding at shared lobes, tappet bodies showed effects of nitride breakthrough also at shared lobes, camshaft is probably rebuildable, however IA suggests and I concur that everything short of crankshaft (which along with bearings show minimal wear) and rods should be replaced with new inside cases. IA suggests that if cylinders are round and near spec some savings could be achieved via in shop overhaul of existing. I have significant confidence in IA however I am interested in opinions as I have received some great input here.

Post Thanks / Like
    With what you have found so far it seams to be pretty reasonable......How was the oil pump?

never mind just read above
    Last edited by swoeric; 11-23-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: im dumb

Post Thanks / Like
    I had similar symptoms with my engine at 1,100 hours. Long story short, the first ring on the forward, right cyclinder fell out in 7 pieces, cam was hosed, oil pump gears and housing badly scored. One word of caution for the re-build, the repair manual instructs the mechanic to place the gasket for a prop governor under the blind plate on the high pressure oil port on the back of the engine. There is a tiny footnote that can go unnoticed which says to substitute a solid gasket under the blind plate if you don't have a prop governor. Don't make the mistake of using the weaker gasket under the blind plate. Mine blew out at about 10 hours after the rebuild dumping 8 quarts of oil in about a minute. Fortunately, I was at 13,000 feet when it blew out and I was able to dead-stick 18 miles to a gravel strip. If you don't like flights that finish with dead-sticking, make sure you get the correct gasket there. Send me a message if you want more details.
    Life in Alaska isn't always easy, but it has its rewards.