• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wow! It doesn't get any closer than this!

And leave all of the wing on the plane...
Why clip a Stinson

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Is it actually clipped or is it camera angle? She's owned it for 17 years and it's still a certified 108-3, which would = no mods that aren't STC'd up here.

I always heard they supposedly had pretty good stol performance, I guess not....

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

I hear it from lots of other airplane drivers. My ******** will outperform your Cub. My reply, "That's nice.".

YIKES !! That must have added a few gray hairs. And as Sharp said, use all the runway.

Last edited:
There are some things we don't know about....such as how it is loaded, how hot it is, what the elevation is.

Holy Desperate Take-offs, Batman! That video demonstrates either a.) complete ignorance of your airplane performance capabilities; or b.) the non-ability to make a go/no decision. That is some scary stuff!! Off to empty my own shorts now....

Last edited:
Next time she'll remember to put some flap down !

A Beaver is all but impossible to get off the water with no flaps down. Some that are good can do it, but many have run out of water before they figure it out...

I would not criticize the airplane on this one. a little more pilot education could be in order.

anyone here ever done something stupid????? Anyone?

Is that an airplane behind the bushes at the edge of the lake??? There is something red that looks like a wing just to the right of the aircraft as it passes through the trees.

Last edited:
Trying to pull it off early didn't help either. Notice that the tail squatted down with no result other than a longer run.

anyone here ever done something stupid????? Anyone?

Yep, exactly why I rarely comment negatively on these type of threads!! Everyone is susceptible of that one time screw-up....seems to happen whne there are friends around that get a person to do things without totally thinking them through. Glad to see there was not an accident and no one was hurt. I would bet the pilot won't do that again. Some lesoons are learned the hard way.
WW

The pilot had one of two thoughts while climbing out after the incident:
1) Wow, I'm good!!! A lesser aviator would have crashed!!
2) Wow, what an idiot, I almost killed myself.
Number 1 is likely to do something equally stupid without the happy ending and Number 2 just became a safer pilot.
We all have and will make mistakes. Question is, do we learn anything from them or those of others.

Must be something going on, heavy or??......looked like it was ready to left at the 1/2 way point!

The pilot posted a reply to the incident over on BCPilot. She was very honest and owned up to bad pilot decisions. There were 3 on board, all pilots, which would be a good load for a 165 powered Stinson on a warm day. If you've never scared yourself like that, you haven't flown off airport enough. The go no/go decision has to happen in a split second, or you're committed. In the end looks like she made the right decision by sticking with it. I'll not stand in judgement of that takeoff. Thankfully there just weren't camera's around to record some of mine. Russ

A lesson for all of us in that video. Hot, heavy, major aft CG (look how long it takes to get the tail up and the fact that it slams right back down when full up is given)--all a recipie for a really bad day. Takes a lot of guts to share it with all of us so that we can all learn/remind/take heed from it. There but for the grace of a benevolent being go the rest of us....

The pilot posted a reply to the incident over on BCPilot. She was very honest and owned up to bad pilot decisions.

I posted that copy over there, I got her reply from MountainMatt, it was floating around the Stinson world a few years ago, here's her statement...

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!

Remember, Good judgement come from a lot of " Wholy crap " " Lookout " " Sombitch where did that come from " " What the f... ". And then you have to remember it for the next time.

Glenn

Granddad told me "Experts are folks who've made all the mistakes & REMEMBER 'em".

Back