• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Restricted radiotelephone operators permit

AKClimber

Juneau, AK
Is it still required to cross Canada to Alaska?
What about 12" N - numbers? There's some contradictory information out there, and I haven't found a definite answer. The plane is 1952 and has 6" numbers.

Get 12" numbers, in fact just take the ones from Eaton's cub for the trip!

Antique aircraft exempt I believe...

Charts? CHARTS???? We don't need no stinking charts!!!!

Put the beach on the right and fly!!!!

Got nothing CURRENT, other than a cfi and ATP....

Is it still required to cross Canada to Alaska?
What about 12" N - numbers? There's some contradictory information out there, and I haven't found a definite answer. The plane is 1952 and has 6" numbers.

The restricted radio telephone operators permit and an airplane radio station license are ICAO requirements, and are required when operating internationally, but not enforced in the US. That said, I doubt anyone will ever ask you for one in Canada. Like liability insurance, if nothing bad happens, nothing bad will happen. If you get in some sort of a legal issue, however, failure to have "proper documents" might offer someone a chance to pile on.

MTV

Radio Licenses

In several trips through Canada to Alaska I have never been asked about radio licenses by the Canadians. Others I have spoken with have the same experience. Admittedly I have only entered Canada through Abbotsford and Whitehorse, so it is possible that other points of entry would be more likely to enforce the law. However, many posters on the AOPA Alaska forum have also found that Canada has no interest in dealing with radio licenses, even at other points of entry.

The US does not require radio licenses anymore, so once you are in the US they couldn't care less about the ICAO requirements.

As others have stated 12" numbers are not required if you enter and exit Canada by any of the inland routes.

Don't worry about the permit. It's strictly another way for the gvt to dig a little deeper into your pockets, aka something they'll require you to have but will never enforce... They have never asked me for it in 5 years and I regularly fly in Canada.

Why not just pay the $60 or whatever to get the permit so that you will have all your t's crossed and i's dotted just in case you get ramp checked? Pay once, don't worry about it for the rest of your life. As much as people say that you'll never be checked, it only takes one person to decide that they will ruin your day and ask for it.

Just flew from SD to AK and back last month for Valdez and the Airmen's show. I had 12" letters (135) and Radio license but no one asked or seemed to care. I flew the highway and did customs at Sweetgrass, MT , Northway,AK and Beaver Creek, YT.

Only issue was 3 forms to fill-out to import a shed moose antler that J5RON sent home with me. Somehow it was viewed as imported into the US even though it came from Alaska into Montana? Go Figure.

Ray

I always thought it was wrong, WRONG I say, for the FCC to compel me, an authentic regulation-followin' Murrican, to get a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's license and a Radio Station License (for the ship) so I can speak with CANADIAN radio stations. Why don't I get one from the Canadians? Huh? Whatupwidat?

There is no requirement for a radio station licence for the aircraft in Canada. Hasn't been in at least a decade.. probably closer to 15 years. You do indeed need the operators licence though.. to talk on the unit. Not that I've ever been asked for it in 24 years.

I think they require US to have one when we talk to Canadian controllers or stations. I found it somewhere, probably first at AOPA, then in the regs. Don't remember now. I can speak just fine without it, but would not like to find out after the fact that I did indeed need one. Bureaucrats are everywhere.

There IS an ICAO requirement to have a radio station license in your aircraft when operating internationally. Last I checked, Canada is not part of the USA. Therefore, you are required to have a radio station license to cross the border. But, again, nobody in Canada OR the US gives a crap whether you do or not.

MTV

I have 2" numbers. They never even want to see a pilots license. I asked why, and they said they were not responsible for enforcing CAA laws. They could care less.

There IS an ICAO requirement to have a radio station license in your aircraft when operating internationally. Last I checked, Canada is not part of the USA. Therefore, you are required to have a radio station license to cross the border. But, again, nobody in Canada OR the US gives a crap whether you do or not.

MTV
Well, I got 'em both. We can all sleep better tonight knowing that the world is a safer place and I'm out about $200 bucks or so. Carry on.

Th is, from A friend who is a TC Inspector: N ot to worry...the days of ramp checks are over...or at least they almost are.

Our directions say that in order to conduct "surveillance" of the aviation system here in Canada we (Inspectors) must have a plan that is approved by our Boss. This means no more tearing around the country stirring up fear and conducting random ramp checks. Now, if we happen to be at a location where you are, and we see you doing something obviously dangerous or illegal we can, and will intervene, but we won't be doing "traffic stops".

We just don't have the resources to go out into the field as much as we used to. For example, the Inspectors that work in the Enforcement Section never leave the office unless they are on a course or tagging along on a planned Inspection as an observer.

Given our limited resources it's highly unlikely that you will ever run into TC Inspectors in your travels. And even if you see them around, they won't look at you twice...unless you put an illegal turbine conversion on your Cub with a booster rocket on the tail and added 6 more seats :) ...They might want to look at that.

I'm going to be visiting across the border fairly frequently from my new home, and now I've got 'em, so I don't care. When they nick me and say "well then, where's your restricted radio operator's license and radio station license?", I'll be the only broke, smug wiseass they've seen all day who has them. And then they'll probably mock me for being the only chump to actually get them.
Either way, it's a laugh.

Cheer up boys and girls, In recent memory it used to be a requirement to earn pilot's licenses in Europe to know and be modestly competent in Morse Code. Morse what? Yup, those little beeps and blahs you hear on the beacon frequency, unless you're strictly GPS equipped. Maybe someone will pipe in about using HF and all that stuff of which I am ignorant - but I'd love to hear about. If Big Brother decides to turn off the GPS signals for "security" all of this old detritus will look pretty darn good. :wink: PS I found my old 3rd Class RRT permit and have a copy in my iPad.

Where does one go to get these documents, what is the process, (or do you just fork over the cash?)

I did it online, but it was a chore trying to figure out their stuff. You have to start an account, obtain a "FRN" (FCC Registration Number), then apply online for the proper licenses, etc. Their website was developed by Mordok, Preventer of Information Services, but I endeavored to persevere.

Go to the FCC website:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr for the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit,

and then for the ship's license:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=aircraft_stations

You have to register with Fee Filer if you wish to pay online after applying for the two licenses:
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

When you're done, you'll have two worthless cards, and you'll be out $60 for the RR and $160 for the ship's license.

I know, this is ridiculous if no one ever wants to see one. However, I have three rules.
I never do things that will get me:
1. Fired
2. Incarcerated
3. Divorced

Not having one of these is mildly related to 2 (above) in that it may generate a fine; I absolutely hate fines.
Your milage may vary, use as directed and RTFM before pushing the "fire" button, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Moneyburner. That was extremely helpful. Thanks. I'm going to double check but I think you need the AC license to fly into Canada? Time to go visit my relatives in Nova Scotia.

Yes, thank you so much Moneyburner. I planned to get a license for a future trip and you've given me the resources I need to get it done!

The only time I was asked for my documents (1973) I handed the FAA guy my "First Class Commercial Radiotelephone " license, and the guy didn't know what it was.....I had to explain that it 'outranked' the second and third class radiotelephone certificates....

Back