• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna SEB07-5 R2 Secondary Seat Stops

fadec

Mooresville, NC
Reading about that crash in Birchwood is so sad....If they find out that the cause of this crash was because of a seat pin failure what ashame that would be.

Cessna opened SEB07-5 R2 back up last June. They will comply with this SEB free of charge. You can take it to a Cessna Service Center of if that is not practicable; have you A&P install it and submit a Service Bulletin Compliance claim. You will be out of pocket the cost of the kit, SK210-174B, and the labor until you submit your claim. This SEB was originally introduced May 14,2007 free to all Cessna owners. Please notify all your Cessna friends and make them aware of this.

List price on the Kit is $496.00, Yingling Aviation is selling them for $414.16

Not trying to be contrary and maybe I'm not explaining what I mean very well. It would be the same mechanism as the lap belt so you would be totally disconnected in a split second. It would be right next to the lever on my articulating Cessna seat, maybe just below----pull up to unlatch seat belt latch and pull up lever for seat rail pin. Just thought of something with the reels----is it possible that in a hurry to shove back in an emergency, the reel locks up and you can't get the seat back. I've never seen one of these Cessna reels.

I have recommended and assisted with installation of this kit on many aircraft.

I have this kit on my personal C-180 and also several 180 and 185's that I fly.

Cessna is still doing the installation for free.

The system requires very little change in effort to slide a seat back when a pilot wishes to slide it back.

On the other thread, there was mention of a homemade solution.......seriously, at least check out the FREE, sensible, PASSIVE, Cessna solution. It works.

PS, I'm a hold the throttle guy. I know I will be making a power adjustment immediately after liftoff, and also I wish to have control of the aircraft on takeoff roll should something occur.

Crash, does the Iditarod Air Force teach the "lock it, and grab the v-brace"? Some of those guys are long-time 185 drivers and know some stuff!

PSS, I always wiggle into the seat stop pin and KNOW that the seat is latched. Every time, every time, every time.

I had an oldtimer Beaver pilot TOTAL a float-206 after his seat slid, cuz' he didn't have a routine of checking the pin engagement..........The seat slid, he got out of the power, adjusted the seat, layed the whip to it again, and ran it into the shallows and flipped it.......4 hours on a new engine/prop, and a couple of months on a new interior and sheetmetal/paint.....not a straight part left on that airplane afterwards, but NO ONE hurt. Passengers got it all on video, even the audio where the passenger said "...it's getting shallow here..", and the pilots' response "...my seat slid back..."(he wasn't much of a good listener, and probably thought the passenger asked why he pulled the power).

INSTALL THE CESSNA KIT.

Thanks Stewart. I appears the strap has a quarter turn twist from the floor to the reel. Also, you said left and right seat are different----one appears to be inside the seat leg and the other on the outside. Any idea why that is?
Thanks again for the pic's.
Marty P.S. Your fire extinguisher is where I would have had a receptacle for one end of the seat belt deal.

Last edited:
Stewart, and others, for the tab/floor mounting hardware, I've been replacing the AN bolt with an eyebolt with a cable clevis pinned in it to allow a sort of 'wing nut' so the seats can come out with out use of any tools.

SB, that leather tunnel cover is visible in the last photo. Nice! Damn!

Stewart:

What are your floorboards made out of? Diamond plate alum or is it a covering? thanks much

Jim

envision the clevis being pinned to the eyebolt. This is identical to the scheme used for fastening Cessna divided middle seats ('Jump seats') to the door posts and seat mounts. It makes a high-strength, aircraft grade 'winged bolt'. No tools. D

Attachments

• an43b.jpg
    an43b.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,543
  • SA361_SA362.jpg
    SA361_SA362.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,538
that is the deal! The individual parts costs don't sum up cheaply, but the time savings and convenience of no tools makes this scheme worth it.

Stewart:

I can find some of the diamond tread online at various places, is what you used aircraft grade, and where did you get it if so, thanks

Jim

Here I found some aircraft approved stuff. Talked to them, the diamond tread stuff weighs 14 pounds for a 6 ft by 3 ft piece-1 linear yard. the rolls are 6 feet wide, and can be ordered in any length greater than 3 feet. Price for 1 linear yard - which is full width of 6 feet by 3 feet long is $117. The loncoin stuff is 10 pounds for the 6x3 piece and cost is the same. http://www.aipsource.com/prodcat.aspx?Id=14&page=8024 And I highly recommend the cessna seat reels- work great in my plane. Russ

Cessnaseat2.JPGCessnaseat.JPGCessnaseat1.JPGIt's to windy to spray crops so I did a mock up of what I was talking about the other day. The angle is close, so a straighter pull can't be had. I know it will never happen but just thought I'd see what it looked like and believe I could make it work. I don't like all the stuff on my car like power windows and locks, gas cap filler cover that has a button on the inside and trunk lids with no key lock on the outside. Also, I took a picture of the pin and bracket for the factory locking mechanism. Can you imagine the stress on those screws, etc. when today's "normal" sized person(2 to 300lbs) moves around on the seat.

Attachments

• Cessnaseat2.JPG
    Cessnaseat2.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Cessnaseat.JPG
    Cessnaseat.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 318
  • Cessnaseat1.JPG
    Cessnaseat1.JPG
    987.7 KB · Views: 551
I have used the Cessna mod, the little thing that slides up behind you and goes in to the seat track, and a truly neat deal that looked like a small seat belt attached to an eye bolt well in front of the seat. It was pulled up by pulling on the loose strap, and released by hitting a lever on the latch. No matter what happened to the seat track, the pilot would still be at the controls. If I owned a 180, the strap is the mod I would have.

Dave,

I haven't installed the fourth seat in my plane for a few years so I used my seat bolts at both my floor connections for the reels. They work perfectly. I've had the right seat out twice this week and it sure is easier without tools. That 7/16" wrench is never easy to find in the tool bag. I won't miss looking for it. The power of internet discussion can be a good thing. Great idea.

Stewart

side note.... on AN bolt substituted with other item...

on all the weird field approval stuff I did on the 12, the one thing my FAA guy had a little heartburn on was replacing the AN bolt holding the tail wheel on with the bushwheels tiedown ring, what was it made of? ect...( I was getting a field approval on it since the tie down ring is not a PMA'd part, to approve the part), some times strange how little items you list to cross all the 't's and dot the 'i's can be more challenging than the wild mods....

Timely post. I had the Amsafe cable break on my seat this weekend. This is the device referred to as the SEB07-5 R2 in the first post under this thread. I went to slide my seat back after taxiing into the dock and it wouldn't move. I had to really quick climb up and out of my seat to get out and catch the dock. After investigating I found that the top end of the cable had apparently snapped off right were it goes into a clamp on cable lead. this is the cable lead that slips through a pin on the top part of the seat. So when you lift the slide back handle if front of the seat, it would no longer move the Amsafe cable to unlock the Amsafe reel, and the seat wouldn't move. I was unable to make any temporary repairs, so I had to complete disengage the whole safety reel so I could continue to move the seat. I will try to post pictures today. It looks like the back and forth movement of the seat caused the cable to fray and finally snap. I think everyone should check there cables for this wear.

Cessna secondary seat stops

DSC02350.JPGDSC02349.JPG

Here is the picture - you can see the cable frayed off right where it entered the clamp on swivel attachment. I'm not sure what version of the Cessna/Amsafe reels I have, but it was installed May 2009. I would have to look in log books. Sure made for some excitement in the plane as the dock was approaching with rocks about 50 feet past the dock. Didn't know I was that agile or quick. I had 3 passengers in the plane so it was already tight in there and going out passenger door was not an option.

Russ

Attachments

• DSC02350.JPG
    DSC02350.JPG
    734.6 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC02349.JPG
    DSC02349.JPG
    726.5 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
View attachment 2909View attachment 2910

Here is the picture - you can see the cable frayed off right where it entered the clamp on swivel attachment. I'm not sure what version of the Cessna/Amsafe reels I have, but it was installed May 2009. I would have to look in log books. Sure made for some excitement in the plane as the dock was approaching with rocks about 50 feet past the dock. Didn't know I was that agile or quick. I had 3 passengers in the plane so it was already tight in there and going out passenger door was not an option.

Russ

Very interesting.

I would suspect that a part like that would have been done in a rotary swaging machine, not just the small crimp.

This really makes me wonder about Cessna though, is their design & manufacturing quality that low???

Look out for the AD on the part to fix the AD ;)

Stewart,

Thank you for the updates and info... checking a guy out in a 170B with the reel stop. I will check it out today.

I can remember being in some very tight spots with the 180, I would lock the seat into place and check it, then load behind it to give me lots of assurance that it would stay, then climb over and in, or enter through the right door. Seat slides are SCARY!!!!!

BP: how many years did it take to get this far? At least we are on the right track so to speak!

Timely post. I had the Amsafe cable break on my seat this weekend.
I like the KISS theory for a lot of things. I still think a seat belt buckle like in my above picture post would have caused Russ less anxiety. It would be built specifically for the application but I thought my mock up would show the idea pretty well.

Actually I am impressed with how the Cessna/amsafe setup works. Until this weekend, I never completely understood how that reel worked. Basically, when you lift the front seat release handle, it pulls up on the cable that releases the amsafe reel. Without lifting up on the front seat release handle, the amsafe reel stays locked, and the seat can only move back about 2 inches. Had this broke with the amsafe cable extended (as in lifting up the front seat release handle), I probably would never have noticed, since it would have allowed the seat to continue to slide forward and back. Fortunately in this case it broke when the seat release handle was down and the cable was retracted, thus locking the seat, and alerting me to a problem. I called Cessna this morning, they had me email them the pictures to their engineering dept, and said they will get back with me today. They were very nice. I also emailed my service shop just so they can check this on other planes. I'll keep you posted as to what Cessna says. As a side note, I had a number of other flights to complete with the mechanism broke, and it made me nervous. I had one handle on the float Vbrace for all takeoffs and was extremely aware of locking the pins in. Russ

Just had another thought---maybe a second safety cable to pull if the main one breaks as in Russ' case.

Marty, I had thought of the same thing. I can actually reach down and grab the cable end and push it in or pull it out to release the reel to move the seat. I also have to have my left hand on the front seat handle. So now moving the seat is a two handed affair. I'm not trusting the push the cable in method to keep the reel locked however, thus the left hand on the v brace for takeoffs. Biggest PIA for me will be to get it back to the Cessna approved service center since I'm on straight floats. I'm hoping they'll let my regular mechanic fix it.

The replacement pin lists for $360.00! OUCH! But I'm pleased it's readily available.

Stewart

we used to have a old screw driver for a pin/handle in one of our planes... not sure when in its history that happened...

sounds like a good candidate for an owner produced part... being $0.50 worth of 1/4" rod....

Great posts.

Stewart or Dave, do you have the part numbers/ordering info for the clevis/eyebolts? I believe the bolt is 1/4", 24 thread, but I would like to order one for my Cessna. I find myself removing the middle seat when I am hauling charts/etc to outlying clinics and when I need to do so, or replace the seat to carry passengers, I have to remove the front seat...the reel system makes that more difficult.

I see the advantage of the system, though. I appreciate the posts you all have made.

Randy

And here is what Cessna has to say about it. I may mention to them that faulty seat mechanism has already resulted in a $480 million lawsuit and millions more in attorneys fees, and maybe they can spring for the $100 cable.

Dear Russell
In regard to your request for information on the secondary seat stop, you can purchase the cable from Cessna parts through your local Cessna Service Station. We have not see any other issues to this point on the cable ends coming loose like the one in your pictures that were submitted. I will put in a condition report on the issue so we can track if there are more of these in the future. The cable part number is 505530-405 and we do have them currently in stock. Again you can contact whomever it is that you order parts through and have them get a new cable for your seat. Thank you,
Mr. Shannon D Selstedt (Service Engineer), Cessna Aircraft Company

And here is my reply to Cessna:

Dear Mr. Selstedt:

I'm disappointed that Cessna is not standing behind a part that has less than 150 hours of use, and 27 months in service. Obviously, there is no way use or misuse by the operator can cause that cable to break the way it did. Cessna and Amsafe are very fortunate I was able to get out and get the plane stopped before it hit the rocks 50 feet past the dock. The failure of this defective part could have caused many thousands of dollars of damage to my aircraft and the floats. I don't even want to think what the consequences might have been if I needed to get out of the aircraft even faster because of fire. After the multi hundred million dollar lawsuit Cessna was involved in due to a seat sliding back accidently, I would think a $100 cable would be money well spent for the safety of your customers and protection of your reputation. I would hope you will reconsider and send me a replacement cable free of charge. My shipping address is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Stewart:

I would not mind loseing $450,000,000.00

No doubt I could figure out how to keep at least some of it for myself.

I just finished emailing Park Rapids Aviation in Park Rapids MN, the shop that installed the Cessna seat kit for me. I had copied them on my emails to Cessna, and on their own Park Rapids contacted me and said they will send me a new cable right away, no charge. I never asked them to nor did I expect them to do this. It's nice to know someone stands behind their work. The cable failure was no fault of theirs, the installation was per Cessna instructions, yet they are willing to go the extra step to make it right. I'm going to try to get a free replacement cable out of Cessna, and if I do I will send it over to Park Rapids to replace the one they are sending to me. Park Rapids wished me good luck on trying to deal with the Cessna field rep that the Cessna factory passed me off to in getting a free cable. But I'll try to humiliate Cessna into doing the right thing. Hats off to Jeff and Toby at Park Rapids Aviation for great customer service. I can highly recommend their shop. Russ

Back