• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PPL Super Cub

QimmiqServices

Labrador
Hey.. New to the forum.. I live in Canada and I'm looking to get my PPL.. I need to find a school that can do accelerated training for me in a Super Cub, or similar aircraft as I'm hoping to purchase one to expand our dog sledding expeditions in the future.. Andover Flight Academy was the first one I noticed as they operate a PA-18 and a Top Cub, but they don't do accelerated training, I need this because I just can't spend that length of time away from the Family & Business.. I came across TailWheelsEtc and they say 2 weeks to get your PPL flying a Champion, their only tail dragger.. What if any, papers would I need to train in the U.S? Does anyone know of anyone offering this service here in Canada? Really need Help with This!!!

I have a US liscense and added the Canadian liscense later. If you do the flying part in the US it should work out fine. The regulations of the two countries will differ slightly, so if you plan on doing the ground school in the US, keep in mind some of the rules are different in Canada and will show up on your Canadian written exam and interview during your flight test. This is not a big deal, but your head will be so full of information at that time, it would probably be better not to have to sort out the differences. Maybe a ground school with the regulations left out would work best and study the Canadian rules on your own. You might want to try calling Harv's Air, they are in the Winnipeg area and at one time I think they did training in a tail dragger. I heard they are a larger school and have a good reputation. Good luck and keep us posted on what you come up with.

If your going to buy a Cub when your done, why not buy it now and learn to fly right at home. You would not be stressed for time, learning in the a/c you will be flying and save a lot on expenses.
Also if you are considering Tailwheels, etc in Winter Haven, FL, PM me, the owner was once our FBO in Michigan.

It may take months to get clearance from the TSA to train in the US if you are not a US citizen. May be different for Canada, I don't know, but be sure to ask any US flight school what the requirements are.

If you are serious, the suggestion to buy a plane now and learn in it locally is a good one.

Thanks guys for the replys.. I didn't persue the thought of getting the Cub first and training in it at home because as we have no flight school in the area I didn't know exactly how I'd go about it.. There are many pilots, would I have to find one with an instructors cert.? Where would I write the text and do the ground school.? If this is possible and I could work it out, I think it would be perfect!

Two weeks is an awfully short period of time to learn all the stuff you will need to know to be a good pilot. I am sure it could be done, and just as sure one could go through law school in six weeks.

Opinion.

You won't do a Super Cub PPL in 2 weeks. Maybe a C152 in Florida in two weeks, but you are unrealistic if you think you can do a Super Cub in 2 weeks. Buy the Cub and do it at home -- best advice. There'll be an instructor nearby somewhere.

You can do your PPL using Brampton Flying Club's PA-18. That's Brampton ,Ontario, just outside of Toronto. Of course, this is weather permitting. Also, lots of folks from NF/Labrador in Brampton - you may know someone here!

Finding flight training will be easy as compared to finding an accelerated ground school. Perhaps there are online options but I don't know of any. I suggest that you contact a flight school near you if there is one to do your PSTAR exam and get your radio license. You'll need these to solo. Also buy a copy of From the Ground Up and the Air Command Weather Manual. Reading these will be part of your ground school anyway, may as well get a jump. You can get these books from aviationworld.net

Canadian licensing requirements are available on Transport Canada's website.
Look here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-flttrain-menu-1986.htm

Get some documents for free (or near free)
Get this: http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=49369&language=US
and this: http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=59190&language=US
and this: http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=61680&language=US
and this: http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=40757&language=US

Hope this helps.
Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug.. I'm gonna look into some reading material while I wait.. I happen to have lots of family in Brampton, maybe I'll look into that school if buying the Cub first and training at home fails..

Don't know where you are in Labrador but the CFI Halifax and New Glasgow Flying Clubs moved up there, maybe Goose Bay, quite a while ago and may be able to steer you in the right direction. His name is Romaine Butler.

If your going to do it in the US Sheble Aviation in Az has a super cub on floats and one on wheels. 2 weeks is kinda short, I did mine in about 4 including the written in a Super Cub and I flew just about every day.

Dave

Thanks King Brown, I'm gonna check that out.. and ag-pilot, I'm gonna get in contact with Sheble Aviation and see what they say.. Thanks again everybody!

If you supply the aeroplane, you don't need a Flight School in Canada, just a Class 3 instructor (or higher). Not an entry-level Class 4 instructor, since they can only work under supervision at a Flight Training Unit.

An older "retired" guy who kept his instructor rating current might be your best bet in your area, ask around at the local airport or contact the nearest EAA chapter. The instructor does the dual flying with you, supervises your solo flights and signs the recommendation letter for the flight test and TC written exam. Once he recommends you for the flight test, you can fly over to the nearest examiner if there is not one in your area.

Check COPA http://www.copanational.org/ or the nearest EAA chapters - there is one near Montreal http://www.eaa266.org/ and one in the Annapolis Valley http://eaa1051.org/
neither of them are close but they might be able to offer more specific advice for your situation.

If you're a Canadian citizen planning on doing flight training in the US, the following outlines the process you're going to have to go through in order to get your PPL:

1. Contact the flight school from which you'd like to receive instruction from in advance (this will be important later on in the process)
2. Go through TSA's ASFT (or some other acronym I can't recall for Alien Student Flight Training) approbation/inquiry process. This can take a while to receive clearance from, especially if you do not have a designated facility for taking your fingerprints. TSA will notify and double check with the flight school you listed in the paperwork).
3. Once cleared by TSA, you must begin flight training in 180 days of your approbation date and finish in under a year. If not, you will be required to resubmit an application (mostly meaning paying the fees again!)
4. You will need a US Medical Certificate before you can fly solo during training.
5. Once you receive your US PPL, you can apply to TC for a transition to a Canadian PPL. I remind you that the following steps are only valid for PPLs as any higher licenses must follow are more stringent process.
6. TC will do a background check with the FAA Airmen Certification Branch to attest that you do hold a valid US PPL.
7. After being cleared by TC, you must go through the transition process, fill out the Canadian paperwork and get a Canadian Medical as well.

I'm sorry if I missed any steps but this is as good as I can remember. I do not mean to rag on US-Canadian bureaucracy but, IMO, you would be better off simply getting a Canadian PPL if you do not plan to fly N-numbered aircraft in Canada. Believe me, I'm writing this even though I am fully aware of how much more tedious it is to get through the bloody licensing process in Canada compared to the US...!

Thanks Darbour.. man I appreciate you listing all that stright out.. Saved me a dam good time trying to find it all.. I'm hoping I can find an instructor around here and see if we can work something out.. But I may have to go south if this plan fails.. Thanks again

Where are you in Labrador I go up there in summer. Also have a camp in Quebec above st lawrence river. I am in Maine and aim taking it to Quebec this June and or later

Hey Ray.. I'm in Goose Bay.. Maybe we can take a trip together sometime.. Once I get everything situated and worked out properly.. What do you normally fly up this way in?

Used to fly a 206 for a lodge owner. Osprey lake. Now going to fly my super cub up. Do you know the guys at otter creek? What do you do in goose. I have spent some time in town!

Two weeks is an awfully short period of time to learn all the stuff you will need to know to be a good pilot. I am sure it could be done, and just as sure one could go through law school in six weeks.

Opinion.

I agree, I don't know how it can be done effectively. Then again aptitude differs between individuals.

Back