• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cross Country a Different Way!

cafi19

NWA
Dear Friends,

In just 2 days, my brother is embarking on a very exciting adventure. I’d like to share this with you. I apologize in advance for being wordy....but the background is as important as the journey and what my brother is setting out to accomplish.

babyjogger.jpg

In 2002 we lost our father to Alzeimer’s disease. He was only 68 and was diagnosed at a very young 55. There were no cures, no medicines to help Dad.

On Thursday, May 19, my brother, Glenn, will be departing Seaside, Oregon for a cross country run to Misquamicut, Rhode Island. His hope is to raise awareness and hopefully raise funds to help find a cure for this disease, He will push a jogging stroller that will carry his gear, tent and provisions. He will be running about 50 miles per day. Yes....I meant 50. There is no support vehicle following behind, he is carrying everything he needs for this trip.

His plans are laid out his website www.alzrun.org. Here you can see the route he is taking. If you live along the route and he is in your area, we would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide. He truly would like to meet other folks who have dealt with or who are dealing with Alzheimer's disease but it is by no means limited to that. If you are out flying and spot him.....give him a wave! If you are a runner, join him for a while.

I am very proud of my brother and have such confidence in his ability. I believe that if anyone can do this....it is he.

Thanks for listening!

Laura

Thanks for sharing Laura.
I'm sure the SC.org community can increase the awareness and energy!!

Sharp

Glenn is a really fascinating guy. He spent 50+ days on Mt. McKinley when he was 18 so this is not his first adventure. I hope some of you can catch up with him on his route, and if it works out, give him a place to stay or just say hello. Laura and I gave him a Spot messenger and hopefully we will have a tracking link soon.

This kind of running is very technical - much like aviation in a way. This page on his website about running techniques, how many calories he will consume (broken down into foods we all recognize) a day, etc is an interesting read. I can't imagine eating 8.5 big macs a day... http://alzrun.org/running.html

I've married into an amazing family that share a mental mindset that I greatly envy - much like many of you who see airplane projects from start to finish.

sj

Steve: He is too far south for my direct involvement but I have some friends (ex students) living in Jackson and I will contact them. Will also donate and urge other SC'ers to do the same. Worthy cause and who knows, given the gray hair in our community, we may all be direct recipients of his efforts. Ralph

Great cause Laura. My wife and I just attended a seminar on a condition called " Asberger's " a source of High level " Autism " He mentioned that they are working with a system that pin points a spot in the brain and they can over a period of a few sessions diminish " Asberger's " he also said they think they can help people with demensia with this treatment in the near future. He said that it not within 5 years but no longer than 10 years away. For any one interested in Asberger's check it out on the internet. This is something new they have started looking at and its amazing how many people are effected with it. Check out his work, or buy one of his books. His name is John Elder Robison his books are " look me in the eye " and the second book is "Be Different " There is hope down the road and there getting close to some real answer's .

Bill

Thanks for posting Laura....

What an awesome and ambitious way to raise money and awareness!

I'll take care of the lodging, rides, supplies between MSP and WI. Looking forward to meeting him!

BK

I just posted your letter (without your permission, oops) to my company's message board. Folks there live all over the US. Hopefully we can get him more support and donations.

I sent Glenn a note, will help out in the SE Michigan area, if he needs it. It's a good cause, and his run will sure help to raise awareness of this evil disease.

Anne.

A great cause. It's a terrible disease. Godspeed to Glenn as he raises awareness and support.

This is a great cause!! My wife and I participate in the Alzheimer’s 5K and walk fundraiser every year. In memory of my Grandmother. Over the past few years we have really seen the participation increase tenfold. Thanks to all that is willing to help out and best of luck to your brother on his long journey.

Larry

Hi folks.

Looks like my brother big adventure has begun. His spot shows him right on the beach in Seaside, OR right now. I am very excited for him and will have his SPOT page loaded on my computer ongoing. http://alzrun.org/route.html

Thanks again for your well wishes and offers of support!

Laura

Laura,
Looks like he is off to a good start this morning and should have nice weather today/tomorrow. If I wasn't working, I'd fly up and do a few miles with him as he is not far away.

Laura, my folks live in Manzanita, a short ways south of Seaside, and my brother and his family reside in Portland. I'll let them know to give a cheer to Glenn.

I cared for my mother's mother early in her struggle with Alzeimer's while still somewhat-functional. It was very difficult to see the toughest lady I had known become like a child again.

A friend locally has juggled years of part time home-care of his mother with part time professional flying. His effort in the caregiver capacity has ceased as a family feud has erupted over the care-giving..........now the sister and brother will be experiencing the daily difficulties........

Thanks for posting this about Glenn's epic run. We will all be affected.

Really, thanks. DAVE

Looks like he made his 50 plus miles yesterday. He started running at close to 7am Pacific time and quit somewhere around 9pm. He is aiming for Portland tonight. I guess someone is hosting a BBQ for his arrival. :) ....and he is a vegetarian. :)

Can't imagine getting up today and doing it again!!!

Go Glenn!

Laura

My niece is posting links to his mileage each day on his facebook page, ALZRUN. Still waiting for yesterdays, but the first day was 49.3 miles. Looks like he put in another 12 hour day yesterday and is close to Portland, OR. I know he had some people waiting for him last night so hopefully he had a bed to sleep in. First night looked light a tent on the side of the road. Ugh!

Go Glenn!

Laura

This came out today. http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-weir-long-run-0520-20110520,0,3107698.story

More accurate than the last news article in our home town paper that declared him 4'10" rather than 5'10". :) He stayed with friends of friends last night who fed and watered him and put him back on the road (where they picked him up) with company this morning. How nice it must be for him to have someone to run with for a bit.

Anyone out flying in the area let us know if you spot him (and get a picture for me too if you can). Any support is greatly appreciated!!!

Laura

YAHOO! Close to 48 miles yesterday. Had some company for 20 + miles. Looks like he is heading toward Mt Hood from Boring, OR.

Laura

35 Grueling miles to Mt Hood yesterday. Big up hill day. Hopefully today he gets to go back down again today!

Laura

Anyone out flying in the area let us know if you spot him (and get a picture for me too if you can). Any support is greatly appreciated!!!

Laura

Laura, be careful what you ask of this group, you may end up with video that looks like a scene out of North by Northwest.

Glenn

You know Glenn? That would be ok. Just read something that my brother posted on his www.alzrun.org site. I'm sure even planes flying over would be a welcome distraction for him. He has climbed 4000 feet since the start of this run and is headed toward Warm Springs, OR. He is struggling a bit with the loneliness of the run and that is frustrating. I wish I could be there right now to run with him for a bit.

Laura

I love how great aviation is. I was watching Glenn's track today and noticed he was running right by Madras City airport. I looked on Airnav and sent them this email below.

To: bergairllc@yahoo.com
Sent: Tue, May 24, 2011 2:06:25 PM
Subject: Message from AirNav.com user to Berg Air LLC (S33)

Hey guys,
A friends brother is running across the US with nothing but a tent and jogging stroller (for charity, but I'm not asking for money). He'll be passing by your airport in a few hours, maybe less. I'm a pilot so this is the only way I know of to get a hold of friendly locals. Please pass the word in town. If you know anyone who is a runner, this guy could use someone to run with at least a couple of miles. Just having someone to cheer him on would be awesome. I know he needs it right now. He has a spot messenger with him so you can see his location.
http://www.alzrun.org/route.html

Thanks,
Chris

I got this response a few hours later:

Chris,

We went out from the Madras Airport (S33) and met Glenn along hwy 26 here in Madras Oregon.

Had a great visit with him, offered a place to sleep, hot shower and a meal, but he is running behind
schedule and needed to try and Get to Prineville tonight, so we helped him along his way, planned out
where he is going to stay the night in Prineville and where he is going over to Mitchell Next then said our good byes, it is always good to meet new friends. especially when they have a purpose in life,

We will watch him in his travels, wish him the best of luck and Gods speed. If he needs anything while he is
in Oregon, please do not hesitate to call us, Airplanes really do make it a small world and we would love to help in any way possible.

Thank you for including us.

Rob & Tracy Berg
Berg Air LLC
2028 NW Airport Way
Madras Oregon 97741
Phone(541)475-4899
Fax (541)475-4603
bergairllc@yahoo.com

A big thanks to you Chris and Rob & Tracy Berg!

Your support of my brother means so much!!! I haven't seen an update of his mileage the last 2 days but he looks like he is doing great. He had one "short" day....if you can call 35 miles short...but from what I understand, it was a big rise up to Lake Hood. Likely where he feels he fell behind. His biggest struggle I think will be that he is pressed for time. He has a deadline...a point where he has to be home.

I know my brother....meeting people like this....people who have gone out to meet him means so much to him and to the rest of us.

Thanks so much!!!

Laura

Chris,

That is fantastic! I'm absolutely sure Glenn enjoyed and appreciated the Berg's help very much!

sj

Back