• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Scott 3200 Taiwheel refurbishment

That's all there is out there. Red dirt and Kangaroos. I'm guessing there's not too many iron ore mines in Germany, but they sure know what to do with it when it's dug up.

Yep they leave here with 45psi, now it is up to the "Aircraft manufacture" to set the pressure to THEIR spec.... but norm is 40/50psi

100_1546.jpg
Probably a problem with the Pawl 3219 not pushing the Spring 3222 out of the groove in the steering arm.

blowup_3200.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1546.jpg
    100_1546.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 4,729
Last post on this thread was some time ago but I found it very useful as I have just stripped down a Scott 3200 tailwheel that was fitted to a Jodel D140. The reason I got involved is because the tailwheel was free castoring and as my SuperCub is being rebuilt, I lent my Scott 3200 to the owner whilst we had a look at his.
We stripped it down and it was a bit of a mess. The dowel that stops the bottom bush rotating was flush and there was no pin holding the butterfly spring, furthermore, the hole where the pin should be was somewhat oval.
Getting a new pin would not solve the problem so we went down to the machine shop and the guy sorted out the problem.
Firstly he drilled under the dowel keeping the bush in place and punched it out and fitted a new stainless one.
He then drilled out the oval hole and made up a new pin that was stepped, the wider part matching the new oversize drilling. The original 3/16" hole was retained in the section between the gap and the centre bushwhich means that the butterfly spring and shims do not have to be drilled oversize. To make assembly/stripping easier, he tapped a thread in the new pin so that a 3mm screw could be attached so that it was easy to get in/out.
IMG_0032.jpgIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0029.JPGIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0026.JPG

Have ordered a new pair of bushes, dust seals and butterfly spring so it should be back in action soon.
Final thought is, how much grease is needed. It would appear sensible that it should be re-assembled with a smear of grease on the relevant components but pumping it full would seem unnecessary. The whole assembly functions well dry and would only seem to need a hint of lubrication. Is it packed with grease to keep the water/dirt out?

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I brush grease on everything at assembly and do not pump any grease through it afterwards. I tear the ones that get used apart at every annual inspection.

I just rebuilt mine and after watching a very young skinny Pierce on his you tube videos, it was a piece of cake. Had to replace the main brass bushing, the dowel, had to drill a hole and punch it out from bottom, new springs, and all new thrust bearings. The one with the 3 pegs was real loose, so it was changed too. Pawl was ok, bearing was showing corrosion, changes it and new seals all around. The video showing what to look for was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grease depends on how the airplane is used. I treat it like a boat trailer wheel. On assembly, I just pack the bearings and cover the internals. If the guy works the airplane hard and lands on a lot of beaches or dirt strips, I tell them to pump grease through them quite often. This will push grease and water out and leave relatively clean grease inside. Works for the swivel assembly and the axle, both. But there is no substitute for cleaning them and repacking them, at LEAST every annual. More often if you play in the dirt.

Web

Slightly off topic, but what is the difference between the 3200 and 3200A tailwheel?
Are they interchangeable?

cheers Bill

I will have to ask Bill Duncan the difference. I believe they are interchangable. Might be the heavy duty steering arm.

Great thread! After watching Steve's videos (thanks Steve!) and receiving my ABI rebuild kit I am pereplexed on how to remove the bearing race (16). Did I miss something? I also had all 5 springs (7) in my Citabria 7GCBC. All but 1 pin had sheared on the thrust plate (6). Should I go back with 3 or all 5 springs? Thx all

Sometimes I can run a few beads in the race with my TIG and it will fall out when I smack it. Other times I have to weld a large washer to it. If it isn't to bad I don't worry about it, doesn't rotate like the wheel bearing.

Steve thanks for the ultra-quick response. I may re-inspect and reuse the race if OK. Otherwise I have several friends with MIGs and TIGs to put a bead or washer. Thanks again Steve!

Can anyone recommend an aviation-friendly spring shop in the lower 48 to get some tail wheel leaf springs re-arched?

George

Pretty common to re-arch springs on big trucks. Pretty common in a large metropolitan area, usually around big truck repair shops.

Any truck suspension and brake shop should be able to do it. If you have a heavy truck and trailer repair shop around, they should be able to handle it too. Go downtown and look for the old Chevy pickup with a 12" lift. Flag that redneck down and he'll be able to point you in the direction of a capable shop!

Scott tail wheels

Slightly off topic, but what is the difference between the 3200 and 3200A tailwheel?
Are they interchangeable?

cheers Bill
I belive the 3200 is for the flat spring(used on cubs). The other T/W is for those aircraft that uses the round spring (Cessna 180 or 185). Hope this helps. Best Cliff

I belive the 3200 is for the flat spring(used on cubs). The other T/W is for those aircraft that uses the round spring (Cessna 180 or 185). Hope this helps. Best Cliff

Incorrect, the Scott (and ABI) 3400 series is for the "stinger" tail spring.
3200 is standard leaf-spring-mount t/w,
3200A (actually 3224A) is a 3200 with upturned steering arm,
3200-3 is for two-bolt mounting.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/3200-Tailwheels-s/1871.htm

Where can I find these videos of Steve’s?
Thanks

Great thread! After watching Steve's videos (thanks Steve!) and receiving my ABI rebuild kit I am pereplexed on how to remove the bearing race (16). Did I miss something? I also had all 5 springs (7) in my Citabria 7GCBC. All but 1 pin had sheared on the thrust plate (6). Should I go back with 3 or all 5 springs? Thx all

Back