Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gar Aero Tailwheel Tire

Post Thanks / Like

Gar Aero Tailwheel Tire

Alaska Tundra Tires / Floats Alaska / Seaplanes North / Gar Aero / Whatever
    Servicing one of the Gar Aero tailwheels and have a weatherchecked tire that I would like to replace. Dude at (see above business name) sez the 4.00 x 4 6 ply Cheng Shin tire they used in the past is no longer available; they are now using a 4.00 x 4 8 ply glider main tire that is too tall for the older forks. Must buy a new fork for 300 $ and a new tire.
    Anyone have a source of a tire that will work on the older fork?
    I'm still surfing the web, found some that are close, thought someone may have been there already.
    The field approval does not specify tire size, and the whole installation was non-pma parts anyway (for the legal eagles out there). Over the years, Gar Aero/Gra Aero used several different tires.
    thanx
    jw

Post Thanks / Like
    The Canadian Found was certified with the Gar-Aero tailwheel...Reeves in Anchorage used to keep tires in stock....The last one I bought from them was not Cheng Shin....I'll have to take a look and get back to you.....try specialtytirestore.com
    Last edited by nanook; 05-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rite as rain

I "went to" Specialty Tire Store web site (thanx for the heads up) and they have what for all the world looks like the Cheng Shin tire in the hangar. I'll wait and see what brand is on yours.
    jw

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy the Cheng Shin, the other tire, Segurio or something like that was not as soft as the cheng shin....The only downside to the cheng shin, is that it needs good UV protection (303 aerospace) applied often.

arcticflyr
    My old one is a "segura" brand.

arcticflyr
    Ooops "secura". Sometimes I hate spell check

Post Thanks / Like
    AK Bushwheel also sells a tubed tailwheel tire that is NOT the baby bushwheel. You may have overlooked them for the obvious reasons, but they have a way of killing you with kindness and good advice that has made many folks pretty loyal - with good reason. They really do have the solution in many cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to call company A and begin asking about company B's stuff. Some would take offense.
    Maybe I'll call them in the morning and see what they have to say.
    thanx
    jw

Post Thanks / Like
    jw call Bushwheels and ask for Steve the tail wheel guy, ask for the $65 tubed tire they sell, I have one on the big fork and it works just fine.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    DW and all, we do stock the 400x4 6 ply and also the new 8 ply. Both fit our fork well and are what we originally certified our tailwheel kit with and soon after the Baby Bush was added. JW got one of the tires this afternoon from us and we will have a pretty good supply for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck with all the kindness you get from ABW folks. I bought a BBW from Bill at the trade show and it came with not just a few peanuts but a whole bag full. (not the strafoam kind)

Now if they would just put a six pack of Hinnies in there too, that would be real customer service!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hottshot, for those of us with the Gar-Aero Fork.....How about a picture of an inflated 400X4 on a spacer wheel...I'd like to see what I'm buying....(can't find a picture on your website)....thanks.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwmusgrove View Post
    Alaska Tundra Tires / Floats Alaska / Seaplanes North / Gar Aero / Whatever
    Servicing one of the Gar Aero tailwheels and have a weatherchecked tire that I would like to replace. Dude at (see above business name) sez the 4.00 x 4 6 ply Cheng Shin tire they used in the past is no longer available; they are now using a 4.00 x 4 8 ply glider main tire that is too tall for the older forks. Must buy a new fork for 300 $ and a new tire.
    Anyone have a source of a tire that will work on the older fork?
    I'm still surfing the web, found some that are close, thought someone may have been there already.
    The field approval does not specify tire size, and the whole installation was non-pma parts anyway (for the legal eagles out there). Over the years, Gar Aero/Gra Aero used several different tires.
    thanx
    jw
    DO you know what size the tube is? Or a source for it may be?? I would like to have a spare.. I have this same set up with the old fork..

Post Thanks / Like
    If your exp go to: http://mgrassroots.com/go_carts.html

I bought a go-cart racing slick and it has more "rubber on the road" (read flotation) than most tires that size. Stands about 8 inches tall. Can't tell you the size as the a/c is 20 miles away right now, but it works just great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougsappllc View Post
    If your exp go to: http://mgrassroots.com/go_carts.html

I bought a go-cart racing slick and it has more "rubber on the road" (read flotation) than most tires that size. Stands about 8 inches tall. Can't tell you the size as the a/c is 20 miles away right now, but it works just great.
    They show as "Discontinued" now.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought mine from Gar Aero years ago, the tire was 4.00 x 4 Cheng Shin, the tube 4.10 x 3.50 x 4 McCreary.
    The 410 350 4 tire and tube is all over the Internet. The 4.00 4 tire is a little tuffer. Cheng Shin seems to have stopped making this size. Aero Classic makes a glider tire in 4.00 4 but neighbor has went thru 2 of them in 3 years. They weather check immediately and severely-can't take the winter cold; the tube split sitting in the hanger. Made in Vietnam.
    I am finding the 4.00 4 in go cart and motorized wheelchair models (11-4.00 x 4).
    http://www.petestirestore.com/Carlis...medium=organic

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sho...=19&page_num=0

Hopefully Aero Classic will get their act together some day. The Cheng Shin was the best I've seen, been on 10 years. The Baby Bushwheel will fit some Gar Aero forks, depending on date of manufacture and service history of the fork. They work pretty much the same as the Cheng Shin and close to the same size, but at 10 times the cost. I'm trying to service a customers' which has had more severe usage in the rocks. Sorry for rambling on.
    Last edited by jwmusgrove; 05-12-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Wingwrench--
    Finally got a chance to check out the tail wheel tire on my exp 12. It is a Carlisle 9X3.50-4NHS. I have it on Gar Aero wide fork, Scott wheel with spacer. Sorry but I cannot recall the tube specs. I Googled the size and many hits came up so I doubt you have any trouble finding one. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you tell the difference between the older gar aero fork and the newer one?

Post Thanks / Like
    jacek,

back for a day.

Want to fly me to KTN in the am?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, Ketchikan.
    Funny, I was getting ready to go flying around this afternoon.
    Give me a call and lets talk details.