• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Talkeetna / McKinley Tours

Skywagon

Prosper, TX
Just got to Talkeetna, looking for something to do. Any recommendations for flightseeing tours?

If you don't have your sea plane rating, I highly recommend flying with Don Lee (I think he calls his business "Floats Alaska".) He has a guest house next to his house on the lake, just a few steps from his plane. We also did the flight over the top of Denali in a Chieftan. It was great, but I would have rather landed on the glacier. For a tourist town, Talkeetna is a neat spot with good food.

When we were there during July a couple of years ago, the termperatures hit the low 80's. The locals were complaining about the heat. As a Texan, all I could think was that it was 105 at home.

Float rating? A bit early for that! My wife asked me to pick up some onion sets from Texas. The lady at the nursery laughed and said they haven't had those since early spring. Like February. I said it IS early spring where I'm from. We might be able to plant in a couple of weeks after the ground frost melts a little.

No idea about Denali tours this time of year. K2, TAT, ask around.

SB

Everything still frozen here. It's about 5000 overcast so not sure how well a McKinley tour would be today. May clear a little later though.

Chris

Chris,, go to the museum and see Don Sheltons stuff,,, kinda cool. Back down the road at Willow is JR's place...
You go get lost on a mountain,,, I'll go visit Mrs. K....

K2, Talkeetna Air Taxi and Sheldon Air Service all offer quality flight seeing tours with glacier landings if you want. 'StewartB' is right, its a little early for floats around here. I think their still operating skis off the frozen lakes in Talkeetna. I also agree with 'Lasater' about Don Lee's operation. Its called Alaska Floats & Skis and he is a top notch instructor on floats, wheels, and skis.

We talked to the folks at TAT, they were very friendly. Weather wasn't quite good enough to get our money's worth out of it today. Walked around Talkeetna and had lunch. One of these days I'm going to have to bring the plane up here! I think I've met Don with the float business. Already have the rating, but would love to do some float flying in these lakes.
Eaton - mind your own business :lol:

Back