• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Steve,

You know the drill: be patient and flexible. Always give yourself options. I am envious of the adventure.

Ed

Steve,

If you'd be interested in carrying a Spidertracks transmitter I'll lend you one. All you'll need is a cig lighter to plug it in. The Spider would provide tracking including heading, altitude, and ground speed at 2 minute intervals during your flight legs. You could utilize the Spiderwatch feature and the automatic take-off and land notifications to your families as well. This would be a great demonstration of the Spidertracks system. Let me know.

Stewart

Stewart, That would be awesome. We all know the limitations of the SPOT. I will forward you the address and a shipping account number. Thanks.

Bad weather was created to keep Oklahoma folks out of the rest of the country...

Wasn't there an imigration reform for that recently?????

Steve, looking forward to seeing you up here!

Steve If you plan on to RON in Great falls, Mt. Let me know, I can give you a place to sleep and a meal or two. Cdub6

Steve and Tal:

Looks like you'll be ahead of me. Let me know if you loose anything in route and I'll pick it up and bring it with to meet you guys in anchorage. My plan now is to leave Spearfish on the 26th or 27th and high-tail it for Anchorage. If the wx takes you a little east of your planned route, we'll take care of you in Spearfish, otherwise we'll plan to see you up north. Is Tal planning to take you from Anchorage to Valdez? If not you could hitch a ride with me, I plan to take in the festivities Wed. at Big Lake before heading to Copper Center (J5Ron) and then on to Valdez. Either way, have a great trip and "break a Trail" for me. See you guys soon.

Ray

Wow, you folks are great. Lots of great advise and offers have been pouring in and we really appreciate it. My passport finally arrived and Tal's Super Cub has a fresh annual on it. Still watching weather and planning on mid to late next week departure. This is gonna be an adventure and I will probably relax once we are a few miles out of town. ;)

You could take a Flat Stanley along for the ride. Share the adventure with your son's school.

SB

Kevin, SJ sent me his old Blackberry smart phone and Cathy set it up for me so I plan on starting a Blog here on the website of Tal and my adventure.

Stewart, That is an awesome idea. I will talk to them on Monday. His pre-K teacher would have loved it because she spends part of her summer in Alaska. Great idea, thanks again. :)

Steve: Sort of between Billings and GTF is Winifred.... Big hangar, sod strip, heated lounge, cheap gas, and my camp trailer are available. Ralph Rogers

Clear and cold in the morning, clear and warm in the afternoon...

Coast is the way right now, hope it does not burn itself out before your arrival.

Steve: Sort of between Billings and GTF is Winifred.... Big hangar, sod strip, heated lounge, cheap gas, and my camp trailer are available. Ralph Rogers

Ralph:

I'll second your suggestion of Steve and Tall planning on a fuel stop in Winifred. Your little community sure knows how to "roll out the Red Carpet" or should I say Turf Strip for Cub Drivers. My plans are to fuel at winifred on Tues. or Wed. the 26th or 27th on my way to Alaska. I'll be chasing Steve and Tal. Maybe we'll get an opportunity to firm up plans for the Black Hills Roundup and Winifred flyins. Hope to see you soon.

Ray

Steve, After Ft.Nelson fly direct to Watson Lake instead of following the highway, which is a circuitous route in the mountains. I knew a fellow who took the wrong turn on that route. He is not coming down for breakfast. A direct route is north of the higher elevations and can be flown at 3,000 feet.

Pierce, it sounds like youll have the red carpet rolled out for ya if you have any delays, everywhere except Oklahoma. Just go over the pan handle and you wont have to be there long.

Now hold on tempdoug, Steve knows he's got the hanger apartment, food, drink, fuel and anything else he needs anytime he stops at OK18.

Also
I third the suggestion that Steve and Tal stop in Winifred if they are in the area, the nicest people you will ever meet are there and they will take very good care of you.

So when does the expedition depart and are you going to complete EM before you go or do I have to listen to it's new owner whine while you're gone...

If EM is that Okie's old bird I can say he was working on it earlier this evening. I think he was zip tying some wing ribs back together!!

Steve if Stewart sends you his Spidertracks can you post a link to it like you did the spot? It would be interesting to compare the two.

I'm putting all these great stops in my notebook and taking notes on does, don't and short cuts as well. As for EM, I used up all my good rope and bailing wire so I think it will be ready to test fly in the am. Tal's got a new SPOT and I should have the Spider tracks tomorrow so we will have a good comparison. I have been overwhelmed with theses posts, PMs, emails and phone calls. I really appreciate it and can't wait to finish everything up so we can head out. It was 100 degrees here today and Tal is melting and extremely excited about heading home and many flying adventures this summer. Just hope we can convince him to come back next winter. He has been a great asset to the shop and fun to fly and hang out with. Hopefully tomorrow night at this time we will be packed and anxiously awaiting sunrise. :)

Steve and Tal,

Have fun, be safe, and by the way I'm jealous! Thanks for letting us explore vicariously through your tracking... Kathy, if you need anything just call and we'll send the militia!

Tal you need to come back next winter!

Kirby

Tal and Steve,

Should be a great adventure. Looking forward to reviewing your stops and experiences. Fly safe and enjoy.

MartyC

Steve: Somewhere between here and Texas the weather really changes. Montana got ca. 4 in. of snow last night. If you have room, bring some of that heat with you. Call if you head this way, we'll make sure we are around. 406 462 5487. Ralph (Winifred)

Steve if MT is to cold swing this way blue skys and mid 60s. by the time you get here we'll probably be leaving anyway.

Back