• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Great stop. Drank coffee, split some wood and talked with some nice folks with a PA12. Pass cleared and we are headed to Lake Hood.

Steve, Tal,

Congratulations! I have followed you all the way. It has been great watching your progress and most of all your conservative decisions. During your progress I have added up you flight times, which of course does not include the ground times, and I know from experience how your bodies must feel after that much duty time. Truly, a great accomplishment. I wish that I could make the show this year, but other duties call. Have fun and I hope to see your pictures in the future.

Jerry

Would that be flight 400 from MSP? Daughter Olivia and I will be in seats 31A&B. I feel that small plane desire too but doesn't work this year (and the Bearhawk certainly won't be ready next year either).

When Allie and I flew the club Arrow up last June we had made it most of the way through the Tahneeta Pass / Sheep Mountain area before coming up against a wall of clouds, ended up back tracking to Gulkana for the night and morning. The airport there was well stocked with food and a computer with internet access to watch for the weather cams to clear.

Mark J

Mark

See you onboard...I'm in 22F!

Lou

Glad they made it okay. Its been alot of fun checking on them every day. Like alot of people, I had my maps out and drawing lines all the way checking there progress ect. It has been fun testing the Spot and the Spider Tracks systems. I have a spot and really like it, and there spot covered most of the trip. Now I think that the Spider Track is a better system showing alitude and ground speed lets you know about head winds ect. This was fun, now I am following the cub out of Spear Fish South Dakota, he is already in Canada and left South Dakota this morning. Bill Rusk will be going on a one month trip to Alaska and maybe we can follow him as well, he leaves in June.
Man, 8 hours in a Cub is a long time...

Bill

flew 11 hours one day for fish and game in the cub... walked funny the next day

Way easier with Auto in the back to spell you, or in Steve's case, Tal in the front!

Glad they made it, should see them soon...

Kevin, the Paul they are talking about is Paul Claus, probably close to a million hrs in a supercub. Tal worked and probably still does, for him. Multiple time Valdez winner. Google him, I can't type that much.

That was fun to watch them. Thanks Stewart for the spidertraks.

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a fun ride. Thanks Tal and Steve. I will look fwd to Steve bringing his pics back to Texas

Ray, do you have a Spot we can follow?

Last edited:
Looks like Ray made it to Lethbridge and spent the night.
When I get to work will try and post his spot information so those that want can follow his progress.

That was a HOOT! I made the trip from Florida in '05, so I can relate. You guys must (should) be feeling pretty good about now. It's an accomplishment to remember. Thanks, Stewart, for letting us tag along. That was a really nice thing to do.

Congratulations and thanks for the ride!

SPOT did not work for the last part, which for us IPhone followers did not allow to follow the last day or two.

Wonder if their spot batteries run out,, or coverage? Be interesting to find out from Steve or Tal.

Kevin, the Paul they are talking about is Paul Claus, probably close to a million hrs in a supercub. Tal worked and probably still does, for him. Multiple time Valdez winner. Google him, I can't type that much.

That was fun to watch them. Thanks Stewart for the spidertraks.

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve. I'll give him a google. The Spidertracks is a neat tool. Thank you Stewart for sharing it with us.

Kevin

RATS !! It looks like Ray came through here yesterday, fueled up and I missed him. Ralph

That's pretty cool that the Coutts/Ross airport is on the border. Can you land and exit/enter in one place? Nothing like one stop shopping!!

It was fun watching those two, but I'm glad it's over, I wasted to much time looking at the computer and worrying

Spearfish to AK

Ralph, and those following Ray's (wefly4u) progress up to Ak.
He has started a thread in the Forum under, Cross Country Accommodations that is called Spearfish, SD to Anchorage and Valdez etc.
The spot connection is at that site with more info.

the spider tracks link bellow worked fine on my Iphone..???
https://app.spidertracks.com/home.m...75vAC_g2Nv_NGqv-FF2u5YgWh91Ye-1wlhYQqRF38lscl
is that what you were inferring didn't work for you?

I use the SPOT aplication downloadable in the Apple App Store and its last position for Westie is on the 25th at 20:41, north of lake Hutshi.

There are no further points recorded.

I'm not using the Iphone's Safari web browser for either the SPOT or Spider tracking.

Parking lot across from Laird Hot Springs
IMG_1634.jpg
Soaking in the Laird Hot Springs.
IMG_1639.jpg
Morning coffee via Jetboil.
IMG_1646.jpg
Walking into Beaver Creek.
IMG_1656.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep tracks across the ridges for miles between Whitehorse and Beaver Creek.
IMG_1651.jpg

Woke up to a frosty morning at Laird Hot Springs.
IMG_1644.jpg

After 40 hours in the air we land at Lake Hood.
IMG_1665.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator: