Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone ever ask Pierce if his skinny behind got sore? I can't imagine a trip like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve
    Sorry I missed you at the trade show. Your lovely wife said you were out fixing a plane when I was there. I've certainly enjoyed the thread for your trip. Unfortunately I won't be in Valdez this year, but let me know if you pass through Fairbanks, my Hangar is always open to you.

Phil

StewartB
    FYI, my Spider is back in my hands, re-allocated back to my -12, and the flight notifications scheme reset to what they were before the Texas to Alaska trip. If any of you tries to look at the Spidertracks public page you'll now find it empty. It was fun watching the boys' trip but now it's time to get on with my Alaska summer. I hope you enjoyed it.

Stewart
    Last edited by StewartB; 05-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was fun watching the boys' trip but now it's time to get on with my Alaska summer.
    I sure enjoyed it---beat the heck out of the Royal wedding preparations on TV that the typical American was so gung ho on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Royal wedding????

I thought that Ed and SteveE had been married a year ago

Even BIGe has called off the divorce sine Ed has those new tires that fit E's plane...

That is the Royal wedding you are talking about, right
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Stewart - It was fun watching the trip.
    "You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what an adventure. Flew 43 hours in the back seat of Tal's Super Cub from Graham, TX to Anchorage, AK. Fixed two stuck valves, cleaned two more that weren't quite stuck, changed every gasket but the starter on the ramp at various places. Did the Airmen Show and a day trip to Seward with Cathy. Saw many of my lower 48 and AK friends as well as made a ton more. Flew out to the Ultima Thule Lodge and spent 3 days in the splendor of the Claus' world. Flew to Valdez and had a blast at the STOL competition. Flew the coast back to Anchorage and saw whales playing below me, and did a complete tear down, assembly and reinstall of Tal's engine. After being gone for 3 1/2 weeks I arrived home Sunday afternoon just after lunch and am kinda back in the swing of things. This was an amazing experience, from the neat places I saw, people I met met and things I got to do. I am always amazed at the generosity of the people on this website and wanted to share just a little of what I experienced on this amazing trip. As usual I didn't take near enough photos and had to use some of Tal's and Paul's so you could get an idea of just a little bit of what I got to see and do. It was a blast and I really got a kick out of all the posts following us up and all the comments at the places I visited. It was a heckuva ride. Thanks. https://picasaweb.google.com/Pierceaero/AlaskaTrip2011#
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve...you made this Alaska trip a great armchair adventure. Between the spidertrak, google, and now these photos, it was so realistic I feel like I owe you some gas money. Thanks so much....you have added to my bucket list. Ralph
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that looks like some great fun. I really enjoyed the scenery changes as you flew north. You took some great pics, and looks like you had a great time.....I'll have to plan a trip with my flying buddy Scott and take in the adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Was good to see you again at Valdez. Sorry to here about your mechanical problems but you seemed to overcome as any good cub mechanic would do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry are you still at Joe's?
    Randy Goza

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Is that the best photo of Kansas you could find to post? What will people think?
    Doug
    PS. thanks for posting it was fun to watch your trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Wana fly up in my 150 hp in a couple of years????? I should be ready for an overhaul about then

I will even put it in a hanger for you to work in!

Now that we have followed the wandering wrenches, think about what it was like for the Wien Brothers, Frank Barr, Mudhole Smith, and the others before us...

Post Thanks / Like
    I often think about the Alaska Aviation Pioneers. The guys flying the Stinson Detroiters and the Bellancas from the 30's landing in the rough stuff back then, with no off pavement tires...those airframes must have been completely hammered. Back before GPS and good weather reports...They must have had nerves of steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy Nope i came home right after Valdez but am planning on returning late june Hope to see you then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricfan View Post
    Did anyone ever ask Pierce if his skinny behind got sore? I can't imagine a trip like that.
    Actually I brought my trusty Oregon Aero seat cushion along and my skinny butt never hurt. I did however see Tal grabbing the "V" braces quite often.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to get to meet you at the tradeshow Steve. Real nice to have folks with your knowledge base and skillset part of this group. Thanks for your openness and sharing as well as it really makes the Cub life a lot easier. Hope all is well and I imagine its nice to be home!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a call from Milford at Flight Line Radio http://www.flighttimeradio.com/ today and it seems that he and Charlie got wind of Tal and my excellent adventure from Texas to Alaska and they want to hear about it and broadcast a live podcast 10 am this Saturday morning a 10 am eastern time. Seems Charlie is building a Cub and loves to talk about them so this ought to be fun.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay I knew Steve before he was famous!!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Steve.

cafi

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Hope you'll find something nice to say about me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Darn, I hope they save it on the website so I can stream it later!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if there will be any mention of that short wing piper site that takes members from here

I will see if I can get the XM from Lyn for Saturday, should be fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    George, you can listen to it on-line also.

I did not know it was on XM.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    might not be... just expected...

If I am home for that, I will have it on. Had not seen that site before.

I hope that Steve refrains from sniveling about being cold and working outside on a ramp in Alaska. A bunch of hangers around and he wanted to prove he could keep up with the big dogs...

of course he forgot that many around here carry an insulation blanket around our middle to soften the effects of the cold up here

StewartB
    I just listened to the podcast. Nicely done, Steve. Your story was well portrayed and fun to listen to. You're a smooth talker, and that's a compliment.

For those who want to listen here's a link to the podcast menu. Select show #178.

http://www.flighttimeradio.com/Podpage.htm

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what Stewart said, it's a great retelling of their adventure!

Thanks, Steve!

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Pierce. What a great storyteller!

cafi

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - very well done. That is a whole night's worth of fire wood!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve , I finely got time to hear the show! Great job.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Info on Spidertracks

Spidertracks Flight Tracking System

Price: $995.00
    Live flight tracking system with automatic emergency alerts
    Spidertracks is like your own personal flight following service—it's always keeping an eye on your flight, automatically and in the background. It's also an emergency transmitter, and the only one that always survives a crash. Why? Because the alert is sent from the Spidertracks online tracking service, not an aircraft-mounted ELT.

Here's what it does:
    It follows you. Spidertracks is always following your flight, even when ATC isn't. Just plug it into the cigarette lighter and go flying—tracking starts when you take off, and does not depend on radar coverage. The on-board “Spider” transmits your GPS position every two minutes through the Iridium Satellite network, so you never have to worry about coverage.

It communicates It's easy to automatically tell friends and family about your flight: set up automatic text message alerts for all takeoffs and landings, or send pre-programmed texts or emails at any time by pressing the Mark button on the Spider. Plus, friends and family can log in to your own Spidertracks website and follow your flights in real-time, showing your flight progress along a map—no matter where you are!

It calls for help—automatically Aircraft ELTs have a poor record of reliability, failing in over 80% of crashes. Spidertracks is an “active” tracking and locator system, so it works differently. It uses satellite, web and mobile technology to raise the alarm in aircraft emergencies, without depending on aircraft-installed equipment. In an emergency, the on-board Spider will stop transmitting updates to the website. This alerts the online system to immediately send SOS messages by text and email to the people you have nominated. These alerts contain your last recorded position, speed, altitude and direction. This makes the search area a matter of a few square miles—not a few thousand.

It helps you share your flights Flying should be social, so Spidertracks is like a virtual logbook and social network. The Spidertracks website is where flights can be viewed in real-time and pilots go to share their love of flying with other pilots. Enjoy free access to your virtual logbook, which automatically updates time, distance flown and flight tracks. You can create groups in the Aviator Clubroom and share your flights with friends and family or follow the flights of other pilots.

Use it anywhere:
    Easy to use Spidertracks has only three buttons: SOS, Watch and Mark. All tracking is done automatically, with no complicated settings to adjust. Just plug it in, press the Watch button for active monitoring and go flying.

Portable It measures just 3 1/2” x 4 3/4” x 1” and weighs less than half a pound, so you can take it on every flight. It's also perfect for flying clubs and renters—move the Spider from airplane to airplane with no installation or setup.

Truly Global Coverage Spidertracks uses the Iridium satellite network to send your location. 66 satellites cover every spot on the planet, so there are no blind spots to worry about.

Spidertracks requires a monthly tracking plan, starting at $10/mo. Visit spidertracks.com/aviator/plans-and-pricing for full details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tal and I have been reminiscing a bit about our trip last year. I have been looking at some of the videos I made and never did anything with. This video is of our Tudor approach in to the gravel strip at Lake Hood. Unfortunately for Tal this was the only landing where he had an audience and the worst of the 43 hour trip.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The landing felt/looked OK sitting here at my computer. Was that a slip on short final?

I noticed the Scott mechanical thermometer in the upper left hand window. How do you guys like it? I want to puchase one. They are expensive.
    Last edited by 8GCBC; 04-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tal, you still have this 18-95? Would love to talk about it. Thx!
    Thanks Bender thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Tal sold it and moved on to, I think, a 150 SuperCub.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just reread this whole thread again. 8 years ago we started this very memorable trip. Some amazing memories because of so many people here.

Tal now flies a 160 how Super Cub for fun and a 747 for. Oh how time flies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 04-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve - if you have a chance - can you post the airport identifiers of the places you are stopping along your planned route? I can't find the identifiers for most of the towns you listed above. If I can't go, at least I can worry about you while y'all are enroute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
    Steve - if you have a chance - can you post the airport identifiers of the places you are stopping along your planned route? I can't find the identifiers for most of the towns you listed above. If I can't go, at least I can worry about you while y'all are enroute!

This trip started 8 years ago, reliving the adventure today by rereading the old thread.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers