• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Info on Spidertracks

[h=1]Spidertracks Flight Tracking System[/h]
Price: $995.00

Live flight tracking system with automatic emergency alerts
Spidertracks is like your own personal flight following service—it's always keeping an eye on your flight, automatically and in the background. It's also an emergency transmitter, and the only one that always survives a crash. Why? Because the alert is sent from the Spidertracks online tracking service, not an aircraft-mounted ELT.

Here's what it does:
It follows you. Spidertracks is always following your flight, even when ATC isn't. Just plug it into the cigarette lighter and go flying—tracking starts when you take off, and does not depend on radar coverage. The on-board “Spider” transmits your GPS position every two minutes through the Iridium Satellite network, so you never have to worry about coverage.

It communicates It's easy to automatically tell friends and family about your flight: set up automatic text message alerts for all takeoffs and landings, or send pre-programmed texts or emails at any time by pressing the Mark button on the Spider. Plus, friends and family can log in to your own Spidertracks website and follow your flights in real-time, showing your flight progress along a map—no matter where you are!

It calls for help—automatically Aircraft ELTs have a poor record of reliability, failing in over 80% of crashes. Spidertracks is an “active” tracking and locator system, so it works differently. It uses satellite, web and mobile technology to raise the alarm in aircraft emergencies, without depending on aircraft-installed equipment. In an emergency, the on-board Spider will stop transmitting updates to the website. This alerts the online system to immediately send SOS messages by text and email to the people you have nominated. These alerts contain your last recorded position, speed, altitude and direction. This makes the search area a matter of a few square miles—not a few thousand.

It helps you share your flights Flying should be social, so Spidertracks is like a virtual logbook and social network. The Spidertracks website is where flights can be viewed in real-time and pilots go to share their love of flying with other pilots. Enjoy free access to your virtual logbook, which automatically updates time, distance flown and flight tracks. You can create groups in the Aviator Clubroom and share your flights with friends and family or follow the flights of other pilots.

Use it anywhere:
Easy to use Spidertracks has only three buttons: SOS, Watch and Mark. All tracking is done automatically, with no complicated settings to adjust. Just plug it in, press the Watch button for active monitoring and go flying.

Portable It measures just 3 1/2” x 4 3/4” x 1” and weighs less than half a pound, so you can take it on every flight. It's also perfect for flying clubs and renters—move the Spider from airplane to airplane with no installation or setup.

Truly Global Coverage Spidertracks uses the Iridium satellite network to send your location. 66 satellites cover every spot on the planet, so there are no blind spots to worry about.

Spidertracks requires a monthly tracking plan, starting at $10/mo. Visit spidertracks.com/aviator/plans-and-pricing for full details.

Tal and I have been reminiscing a bit about our trip last year. I have been looking at some of the videos I made and never did anything with. This video is of our Tudor approach in to the gravel strip at Lake Hood. Unfortunately for Tal this was the only landing where he had an audience and the worst of the 43 hour trip.

The landing felt/looked OK sitting here at my computer. Was that a slip on short final?

I noticed the Scott mechanical thermometer in the upper left hand window. How do you guys like it? I want to puchase one. They are expensive.

Last edited:
I just reread this whole thread again. 8 years ago we started this very memorable trip. Some amazing memories because of so many people here.

Tal now flies a 160 how Super Cub for fun and a 747 for. Oh how time flies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Steve - if you have a chance - can you post the airport identifiers of the places you are stopping along your planned route? I can't find the identifiers for most of the towns you listed above. If I can't go, at least I can worry about you while y'all are enroute!

Steve - if you have a chance - can you post the airport identifiers of the places you are stopping along your planned route? I can't find the identifiers for most of the towns you listed above. If I can't go, at least I can worry about you while y'all are enroute!

This trip started 8 years ago, reliving the adventure today by rereading the old thread.

And the airplane is alive and well and still in great shape, two owners later. I just did an annual on it a couple weeks ago...

My not yet licensed nephew and a licensed buddy flew a newly purchased C-120 from AZ to Fairbanks last year, I believe it had a Continental 85. They made an over night stop in Pocatello, and when they left in the morning I, too late, thought that I should have given them a going away present, of a 100 pound sack of Idaho spuds. As if they had any room left, or payload! I bought them breakfast instead.

11 years now and still lots of fond memories and great stories. Tal is now married and bought a house having completed two Super Cub rebuilds, the 90 hp and then a 160 hp. Looks like he now has a Javron kit on order.

Back