Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STC for baggage box on PA18

Post Thanks / Like

STC for baggage box on PA18

Hi, looking for info on how to put in a baggage box behind the back seat that extends into the fuselage under the battery. I have seen them, but not sure if it is legal and would like an STC if it is available..........Fred
    Last edited by hiflyer; 04-02-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.fadodge.com/

They have them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dalec View Post
    Thanks a bunch, saved me using up a lot of time trying to sort out the variables. Looks like it is exactly what I need.......Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Check cub crafters too. It's bigger

Post Thanks / Like
    CC requires fabric removal, welding, 16 hours install time. Load limit 20#. $795
    Dodge, no fabric removal, no welding. Approx. 4 hours install time. Load limit 20#. $545
    Last edited by T.J.; 04-03-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    and now with belly pods being easy and legal, extended baggages are not so much needed as they were.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the options. Likely I will go with Dodge as I need more space for fishing rods, life jackets etc.......Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    CC requires fabric removal, welding, 16 hours install time. Load limit 20#. $795
    Dodge, no fabric removal, no welding. Approx. 4 hours install time. Load limit 20#. $545
    Agree...if the plane is down for recover then exploring all options is advised.
    Likes Airguide liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just applied for my STC on my new all carbon extended baggage, bottom is 40 3/4" long. No welding or fabric mod will fit with dogleg on the bottom or top has an optional rod holder for four rods and weighs under 5#. Will have it at the Alaska Airman's airshow on the 30th!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8856Charlie View Post
    Just applied for my STC on my new all carbon extended baggage, bottom is 40 3/4" long. No welding or fabric mod will fit with dogleg on the bottom or top has an optional rod holder for four rods and weighs under 5#. Will have it at the Alaska Airman's airshow on the 30th!
    cool, pictures??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a storage box that goes behind the back seat and extends into the fuselage, and can be accessed from inside the plane?

Post Thanks / Like
    It goes behind the standard baggage and drops all the way to the frame here is a shot of the plug (to make the mold) and the quik prototype to make sure it would fit (just made out of fiberglass mat) Just finished the mold last night for the lid will post photos of a finished one late this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 E baggage plug 001.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	1915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6e extended bagage 002.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	1916  

Post Thanks / Like
    It goes behind the standard baggage and drops all the way to the frame here is a shot of the plug (to make the mold) and the quik prototype to make sure it would fit (just made out of fiberglass mat) Just finished the mold last night for the lid will post photos of a finished one late this week.

very cool,

I always wanted to do a "tub" style floor and sides all in one piece like that, so all the blood, sand and crap don't leak through...

now you need to make the next section forward the same too, then it will be a great seller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Charlie! How do you get it in there??
    "There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice." Charlie Brown

Please Join and Support the RAF! http://www.theraf.org/

Post Thanks / Like
    The sides are short enough and the carbon layup is flexible enough that the sides flex in past the dog leg and then goes back to original shape. I have had it in two frames now one with the dog leg down and one up no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    The sides are short enough and the carbon layup is flexible enough that the sides flex in past the dog leg and then goes back to original shape. I have had it in two frames now one with the dog leg down and one up no problem.
    Looks a-ok to me Charlie. I think I will hold back on my install and you can let me know how yours is doing. Your idea may be a better plan for my useage......Fred

Post Thanks / Like

That right there is downright cool!! Good luck with the approval process.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon Fiber + salt water = BATTERY

If I was only on land, not on beaches, I would be ordering one for myself, but with my salt water intrusion here, I would be having lots of fun with corrosion.

Hope to see your box in Anchorage.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Carbon Fiber + salt water = BATTERY.....
    enlighten us please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I should have added aircraft..

I have a piece of carbon fiber that was going into my plane. One of the FAA guys here made some calls, (yes, actually wanted to help), and was told that when working on salt water, carbon fiber in an aircraft is like pouring battery acid on the plane, in fact is one of the elements in some of these small light batteries. Something about the metal and carbon fiber reacting together in the salt water making electricity.

I work on Salt water often, so seemed a good thing to stay away from.

Post Thanks / Like
    have not studied carbon stuff....

but steel and aluminum also make a battery when we add saltwater or any moisture......

would not the powder coating or paint on the steel take care of the issue?

what do they do on carbon cub and all the other exp ones????????

Post Thanks / Like
    George, your FAA guy has his head up...........er, um, ah....., your FAA guy is overreacting to something he does not understand.

Carbon is conductive, just like aluminum and steel, gold, silver, etc.

Have you been around aluminum and saltwater??? Yes.

....awaiting enlightenment....D

....and YES!!!! this "drop-in" baggage compartment "tub" is a very cool idea. D

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, for the serious answer...... I keep direct contact of carbon fiber laminates insulated from metal aircraft materials. Pick your method of insulation.

In some instances, I've laminated regular glass fibers into an edge of the carbon fiber part where I know I'll be riveting or fastening the carbon part to aluminum. Sometimes phenolic or plastic bushings are used to insulate/isolate the carbon part from the aluminum part.

These practices are no different than making sure you have a good coat of epoxy paint or powder-coating on any aluminum or steel part in your airplane.

......Hope this helps.

Randy's baggage is very cool, and weighs nothing, and it literally "flexes and drops into place" in my fuselage with a stock dogleg. DAVE

StewartB
    Carbon fiber's propensity to promote galvanic corrosion is widely known and well documented. Because it has been studied the corrosive reaction can be controlled. Here's a good research paper to consider. There are lots more on the web for anyone who wants to investigate for themselves. This is the most comprehensive one I've found. The whole paper is very well composed but if you want to get the gist if it? Skip forward to conclusions on page 208.

http://www.quakewrap.com/frp%20paper...vironments.pdf

Like being back in school, eh, but without all the pretty girls? Enjoy!

Stewart
    Last edited by StewartB; 04-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart great article! I have had CF floor boards in my plane since "98" half the time on floats with no problems with corrosion. I now have MANY CF parts on the plane that I cant really talk about and have not seen any problems or even anything to give me concern. I will put down a piece of abrasion tape to protect the paint on the frame or aluminum but other than that nothing special. In the conclusions section of the article it states. 6. Since the Galvanic corrosion only initiates when there is DIRECT CONTACT between two dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte, measures can be taken to ELIMINATE one or both of these parameters and to eliminate this problem. The use of a non conductive layer of fabric between carbon and steel, an isolating epoxy film on the steel surface, and a moisture barrier can be considered as a few preventive alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few shots of the carbon prototype going in. Fits like a glove!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baggage install 004.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baggage install 003.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	1931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baggage install 001.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1932  

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that all this 'enlightenment' comes AFTER I have built my baggage, and the cool stuff comes out After I have built my baggage........

How much are these? If I can solve my corrosion issue as it says, maybe I should consider it as a solution to my aft baggage...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a final price as the STC is not done yet. If you want to deal with a 337 PM me and we can talk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any estimate on when you will have it approved? Just a guesstimate is fine.

Thanks
    There are those who have and those who will.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at the mercy of the FAA, In all of the talks they said it would be an easy one but no time frame was ever given.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Charlie, let me know what you want for the plain Jane model? I would be willing to go through the field approval process....I would use something like the flame master sealant between the tubing and the carbon fiber....no chafe and no noise....PM me with a price....

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, can't wait for an STC.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in as well Charlie, let me know when when it all comes together. I am intersted in putting your storage in my PA18

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have established this question's status: I have an airframe's, brand new fuselage with all the extended baggage stuff installed as a PMA'ed part. The structure is approved by the FAA. I was told that the extended baggage, since installed as part of a PMA part, does not need further approval...

if that is so, why do I need another STC for this baggage? Since it is non-structural, is there a reason one can not put what ever materials into the plane for the baggage walls/floor?

I can see it if you have no baggage, but if you are simply exchanging materials????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post

Now that I have established this question's status: I have an airframe's, brand new fuselage with all the extended baggage stuff installed as a PMA'ed part. The structure is approved by the FAA. I was told that the extended baggage, since installed as part of a PMA part, does not need further approval...

if that is so, why do I need another STC for this baggage? Since it is non-structural, is there a reason one can not put what ever materials into the plane for the baggage walls/floor?

I can see it if you have no baggage, but if you are simply exchanging materials????
    Diffrent size. You would need to cut out the extended baggage floor rails on your fuselage for this... If i am looking at picture of it right???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Diffrent size. You would need to cut out the extended baggage floor rails on your fuselage for this... If i am looking at picture of it right???
    Mike, you are looking at this right.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, George. It is a real bummer that someone went to all that work to install those channels.

I guess it's just progress. D

Post Thanks / Like
    8856Charlie You need to be gearing up making them to fit airframes baggage frames also slips in and fits on the rails
    Steve C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub24a View Post
    8856Charlie You need to be gearing up making them to fit airframes baggage frames also slips in and fits on the rails
    Steve C
    I agree, but one would be giving up several inches of baggage area depth by doing such....oh well.....some guys are stuck with those rails.
    Likes S2D liked this post