• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Banner towing tips

P

Phignett

Hi All,

Im looking for some advice on banner towing.Hope you can all help

I currently tow using a 150 supercub in the UK using 'gasser' types 5ft letters and im now looking at getting involved with the Billboard side of things.

In your experience what size billboards do you generally use, upto what Maximum size.

Are the combination boards / trailling letters alot harder to use and what sizes do you recommend. Was thinking of a 15x45' billboard the adding 20 5ft letters to the back, would this be too many for the old girl to drag comfortably.

Im regularly towing about 34 5ft letters at the moment and need to get approval for billboards with a test flight etc but dont what to get a banner thats too big or not big enough.

Does anybody have any comparisons between letters and billboards such as drag, rate of climb etc?

Many thanks with any help you may have

Regards

Paul

Howdy
Certainly, there are more experienced pilots around, to give you advices for towing. Here my input. I don't push the limits of my Cub (150 hp) as it is not only a working tool but my personal plane also. So I limited myself to 100 sqm for billboards, 30 characters of 7 ft or 25 characters of 9 ft. Due to minimum safety altitude regulations for towing here in Germany, there is no use for 5 ft letters. For a combination banner, I had a 3mX 9m billboard plus 26 characters (7ft). It was cold in the morning, so my Cub could make it. For sure, I won't do more than that.
Thore

thanks for responses.

Will try and call inbetween flights but very hectic at the moment instructing

We tow from the tail.

Regards
Paul

Back