• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

sidecar

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
Since this group can always come up with a great solution, I need to ask about sidecars...

I have a 1974 BMW bike that still sits in the garage. Lots of sentimental value to it, but just been busy for the last bunch of summers and not riding it.

Now I have the added issue of owning a dog that spends most of it's time with me; she gets very annoyed if 'her' dump truck drives off without her.

So for me to utilize my bike, and have a 40 lb. retriever with me, I think a sidecar is the solution...

Does anyone have opinions? Know where I can find a sidecar for less than a new bike? Tried dogs in sidecars??????

Yes, let the wife take care of the dog is an idea, but that is what got the whole sleeping on the bed deal going:evil::evil:

And 'isn't it cute, she brings your socks to you' is just fine until you find puncture marks, old bones and slober in the laundry:oops:

Thanks in advance for your input! (and the idea of putting a bushwheel on the side for her to ride on is not going to work!):lol:

What ever you do just remember that you don't RIDE with a sidecar attached, you DRIVE with a sidecar attached, it's a mental game not a feelitinmyass game or you will get hurt, but after you figure it out it's a lot of fun :lol:

Glenn

Try http://www.motorvation.com/

When you add a sidecar, a new front fork setup is recommended. A stock motorcycles rake and trail caster the front wheel straight. It should be changed or overcoming that caster will be difficult to overcome.

Last edited:
Check in to the "Ural" brand of motorcycle. They're Russky copies of BMW's. There are several around Anchorage. Maybe those guys know somethin' about retrofitting a sidecar. D

Check in to the "Ural" brand of motorcycle. They're Russky copies of BMW's. There are several around Anchorage. Maybe those guys know somethin' about retrofitting a sidecar. D

Dave is right: http://www.adn.com/2010/05/22/1290388/a-bike-for-all-seasons.html

George, I think a side car is an excellent way to get around when it's not winter in Alaska enjoying your bike while not having to leave your pooch behind. Go for it! Your dog will thank you for it ;-)

cubdriver2 is right--You DRIVE a sidecar rig, but of coarse mine was a H-D that I pieced together from a burned up 72 FLH and a heavy steel 1946 sidecar. It kept the family doing things together along with the family pooch; Dusty. Check out my photos about page 7. Wish I had a photo of one 4th of July. Boss had a utility sidecar that I could haul my racer in(1968XLR). Wife and I rode to Wausau-- I raced --I won--I loaded the racer and Ist place trophy in the sidecar and went home. Had a few people shaking their heads that day. Great Fun. geezer Dan

I believe the Urals were purpose built from the get go to use a sidecar, making them almost a three wheeled car. I think they also have a rear end like a car, both rear wheels being driven with a differential in the middle, this of course helps for traction. We have one in Pocatello I see from time to time. the owner seems to ride it pretty much year round.

On a somewhat related note:my Montague folding mountain bike took a trip with me once up into Montana, stuffed/ tied to the side of my '86 Goldwing. There is a world famous (now) trail ride there, outside of Wallace, using old train road bed. You go through tunnels and over trestles, and is so scenic some old westerns were shot there. BUT, no where to land, not even a decent road landing, so it occured to me to use the Goldwing. Fun trip, and with the mass of the 'wing I never knew the Montague was there. My normal camp gear used in the plane fit in the 'wing just fine, so I felt right at home.

Last edited:
I have a friend who drives his motorcycle from a side car. He is in a wheel chair and made the mods himself I think. He also water skies on a chair; one tough guy!
Marty57

For years, the BMW dealer in FAI rode his BMW most of the winter, with a sidecar attached, so it can definitely be done. We've got a BMW aficianado on the faculty here, has his bike torn down for a valve job after 220,000 miles. He'll know something about this, I'm guessing.

I'll ask him.

MTV

The newer light weight fiberglass bodies are MUCH more fun than my old heavyweight steel bodied rig. Have rode BMWs but never with sidecars. Many miles on the Harley rigs---even hauled a Beemer to the shop in one for a tire repair---Guess even those BMWs can have a flat occasionally.

Not looking for winter driving, just summer fun, with better fuel than my pickup.

I like the bike, but it is so hard to carry a tool box and hydraulic hoses through knee deep mud to the excavator, then rush back and get 50 gal. of fuel for it, then run over and haul the skid steer....

Thanks for the information guys!! If any of you know of one for sale, let me know

A side car is a riot, but not at first, in the beginning it' will scare the crap outa you, once you hook it together it is no longer a bike as you know it, it is a motorcycle that you now not only have to drive but you have to think about how you have to drive it. You will learn how much you cross steer on a regular bike. After you get a couple hundred miles under your belt you will understand the laws of physics much better. When you first start out if you jump on the throttle real hard it will drag the front end to the right a few inches on pavement, maybe a foot or more on gravel or dirt. If you back off the throttle real fast without braking it will push the front to the left so lets say your haveing a good time touring around with your setup and your full of yourself because you now have this sidecar thing mastered and with that big smile on your face you go flying into a right hand turn and the radius tightens up and you realize your going a bit to fast for your comfort level, if you were on a normal bike without a sidecar you could backoff the throttle a little and increase your lean angle and zoom thru the turn but you wanted a sidecar so when you now realize that the turn is tightening up on you the worst thing you can do is get off the throttle because all that weight sitting 3' to your right when you back off the gas is going to push you into the left lane of oncoming traffic so what you really need to do when your going to fast in a righthand turn that already has you scared to death is to get on the throttle harder and pull yourself tighter into the turn, after you get comfy flying the car on RH turns it's easier, left hand is a whole different story. After a while it gets to be second nature but your brain and not your ass always needs to be driving. Have fun but remember there's a learning curve.

Glenn

Last edited:
Here is something to work with ;-)

1238536600-1.jpg

1215006467.jpg

SIDE CARS!!!!! Now I know how to add 2 more seats to the Cub:smile::smile::drinking::drinking::cockpit:

John
72A
Chugiak AK

I have a friend who owns a URAL dealer. It's basically a Russian copy of the WWII-era BMW. After Germany lost the war, they left their Beamers laying around. Like the Chinese, the Ruskies weren't shy about copying the little 3-wheeled m/c. URAL's are a hoot to drive, and with the side-hack drive wheel, they really move through the rough stuff. They will also send you straight into a telephone pole when making a hasty left turn onto a busy street:oops: (not me, a good friend :wink:)

Cubdriver is spot on about the way they drive. I have driven an old R-65 with a factory sidecar. When going left, you hoisted the side-whack up in the air. Going right you took your time. Or was that the other way around????:-?

It takes a different - not difficult - skill to drive one - and every one is a bit different. Check out Velorex - I have seen a lot of them and the quality is very good.

Last edited:
George,

Here's the response from my BMW guru friend:

Mike,

A much cheaper solution, and one which does not involve altering the bike, is to build a dog trailer. My dog Maggie has some 20,000 miles in hers without mishap. I have attached an essay I wrote on the subject for the Moto Guzzi News.

rand

Let me know if you want a copy of the essay, and I'll send it via email.

MTV

George

Have a friend who built a simple side car for his BMW single--late 60 early 70's vintage. Rag and tube but really looks nice. Built it to haul his really cool 100lb black lab named Waco. Down here in your part of the country but if you are interested I could possibly get you some pics when I get home.

Mark

Mike,

Yes on the article, pictures???? outback@alaska.net

Mark, any Ghostfish caught yet?

Stop in on your way home!

I like the idea of building one, but with the cub project; today just a simple lube a cable on the MTL turned into all day tearing down and cleaning- ordering parts (so nice of my friends to bring back my equipment in such good shape:evil:), and then tomorrow put it all together and do todays work...

building a sidecar will not be the first on my list I don't think...

Thanks for all the info! Further ideas welcome!

How 'bout one of these???? N-Line is the brand in the photo. Single wheel trailers are a fun challenge. Lots of old ones hooked to scooters in Europe here: http://www.singlewheel.com/

Attachments

• guy-on-motorcycle.png
    guy-on-motorcycle.png
    803 KB · Views: 102
Folks on a Beemer with "Cycle Burrito" single wheel trailer. Doggie in PAV (Czech brand) trailer. Doggie's nice trailer hooked a sidecar/Bike.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 65.JPG
    65.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 795
So you can see the simplicity, I'm posting this photo. There is an N-Line trailer frame (without the box) strapped on the very front of the flatbed trailer hauling a bunch of N-line's.

Attachments

• the-dealer-photo.png
    the-dealer-photo.png
    601.1 KB · Views: 100
I used to ride with a "group" and one of them had an English Mastiff that rode in his side car..... he had goggles and a scarf. It was hillarious to see and the dog loved it....but you didn't want to ride behind him when those big jowels filled with air and got to slinging saliva!!!!!!
John

scan0001.jpg

Dug this out of the old Photo Box. 40 yrs. ago May 1st

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 149
George, build your pal a trailer. It will be morther fun & much safer for you both.
IMAGINE trying to corner w/a sidecar. That should dissuade ya!

Back