Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baumann Floats

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like

Baumann Floats

Folks

I received the following Email from Joe at Baumann today.........

To all of my customers, friends and colleagues in the aircraft float industry,

Due to the unfortunate economic conditions we have all faced in the past couple of years, our current owner of Baumann Floats LLC has decided to discontinue production of all of our float models. The equipment, design data, STC’s and inventory will be relocated over to Oshkosh, WI and placed with Basler Turbo Conversions LLC. I personally as well as the rest of my crew will not be moving over to Oshkosh with the company and we will no longer be employed by Baumann Floats LLC. Randy Myers, head of production at Basler Turbo Conversions will be the new interim contact person for any parts orders from April, 1, 2011 on. His telephone contact information is as follows, 920-236-7820 and his e-mail address is myers@baslerturbo.com. I realize that many of you have invested significant amounts of hard earned money into your airplanes by purchasing and equipping your planes with floats from Baumann Floats LLC. It is my sincere hope that there will be continued customer support addressed in a timely fashion for parts and products manufactured by Baumann Floats LLC.

I would like to thank you personally for all of your support and commitment you have given me and Baumann Floats over the past years. Through your patronage we have been able to bring a great aircraft float design to the market and we could not have done it with out your commitment and enthusiasm. I have been extremely fortunate to meet the majority of my customers face to face and have been able to experience some great seaplane flying adventures along the way. I have been truly blessed with the opportunity of providing Baumann Floats to the aviation community and it has been my pleasure to serve you over the past 10 years as General Manager of Baumann Floats LLC.

Thanks again and I hope to see you soon for another flying adventure.

Sincerely,

Joe Birkemeyer

I would like to wish Joe and his crew the very best. They are great folks and I hope they prosper in their future endeavors.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to hear. I had spoke with Joe Birkemeyer several times about his floats and most recently the LSA amphibs. I hope that Basler can continue with the production.
    WW

Post Thanks / Like
    When I met Joe I liked him immediatly...I bought a set of 1500's a few years ago and became an instant friend....I also look forward to seeing him at Osh each year....I hope he finds a great oppertunity in this....He's a very talented guy and I'm sure he'll land on the sweet spot. Good Guy that Joe. Bummer that this happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly a sad moment in aviation.........Purchasing my new Baumanns a few seasons ago was one of the happiest days of my life...was looking forward to a new set for a supercub project. My best to Joe, Allen and the whole crew for a job well done.
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the news a few days ago and to say the least it s*cks, I'm trying to contact the fsdo office for options other than selling my amphibs as my pa-11 is certified andthey haven't got a stc yet, I was in exp market survey last year so any ideas would help (yes Glenn I already thought of that option and that may happen anyway). Hopefully someone will buy the company and resume production, the 1500 amphibs are light weight and perform really well on the smaller horsepower planes,but like any new product there were a few issues that have been overcome. Good luck to Joe, Allen and crew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of this. Joe is indeed one of the good guys, and he's made this small company go for a number of years, and through production of a number of great products. The float market is a very small one, and right now there are a number of competitors in that market, which has been good for consumers. Baumann floats have always been a great addition to the market, good performers, light weight and well made.

I wish Joe and his workers all the best. Joe is a real asset to aviation, and I hope he finds another position in this field, and soon.

MTV

StewartB
    Aerocet have anything to do with it? I'd guess yes. I haven't seen anyone unbolting a perfectly good set of EDOs to replace them with Baumanns. I see lots of guys scrapping perfectly good aluminum floats to replace them with Aerocets.

SB
    Last edited by StewartB; 03-25-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! I'm saddened for Bauman's crew, and also any product owners.

............EDO production going offshore to China and new EDO 2000 pricing lower than the used market of 8 years ago must be considered for affect as much as the Aerocet products' effectiveness.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody have any updates on the Baumann situation - is Basler supporting the product? I plumbed my Cub for Baumann amphibs back when I thought I might have money one day. Just curious if I'm back to square one. Thanks.
    "You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't an answer to your question. My brother lives close by and his mechanic used to work there. This guy said they had quite a few orders for new floats and didn't understand why the doors were closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had no luck with talking with Basler (Randy Myers) he had Baumann dropped in his plate and it doesn't seem like there is any intrest in the floats, I'm still stumbling my way through a field approval for my 1500A's on my 11, I don't think it will be too bad just trying to jump through the right hoops and getting the info on paper and in the right order. Having a problem with faa.gov site and being able to work on the forms in the computer is the biggest challenge. Hope someone picks up the floats or uses some ideas for the light weight mechanical floats.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem that another company that is working with cub type planes would want floats like these.

I would think that a good builder with sloted wings might want to offer factory floats with their planes... even if the slots don't help on takeoff, they help in manuvering on floats.

(Amy, are you listening?????)
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rumor only.....but heard that the company will restart with Joe at the helm once again with a different owner.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    It would seem that another company that is working with cub type planes would want floats like these.

I would think that a good builder with sloted wings might want to offer factory floats with their planes... even if the slots don't help on takeoff, they help in manuvering on floats.

(Amy, are you listening?????)
    George, I am ALWAYS listening (it's a girl thing, kind of like eyes in the back of our heads) Didn't you get a magic shipment of DCA bottle openers? Sorry, we didn't have cookies to ship--the guys are not necessarily culinarily gifted with an oven, but they're great on a grill!

I have heard mumblings in the past months that someone had bought Baumann, but I don't know if it is true or not. I tend to file away airport rumors in a special file labeled "potential BS" Since Baumann was a key supplier to the LSA market, it is my hope that that market will have floats available to them again, whether it is from Baumann or another manufacturer. I never had a chance to meet anyone there but it is always sad to see an aviation company close up shop.

P.S. Floats are on the radar . . . don't know when but we know it is something that customers will want. I'm hoping we can arrange for testing in Key West but I don't think that idea will succeed
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Rumor only.....but heard that the company will restart with Joe at the helm once again with a different owner.

Bill
    I talked to Joe a month or so ago....he said someone was looking at the whole set up over at Basler.....but he could not elaborate at the time. Only time will tell. I love my Baumann floats and I hope someone starts it back up....it's a good product. If I remember correctly, Joe had said they were making a profit....but Basler was interested in a bigger margin for their investment. My opinion is they just spent a bunch of $$ on development and did not wait long enough for the fruits of their labor to kick in. I think a lightweight amphib similar to the 1500A in a 2100 for the Supercub may have it's place as well. I suppose it's a tight market either way you look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post

Bill
    I heard this too over the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amy,

I am in Haines, so will be home Wed. and check for care packages!!! Thanks.

Floats are great, but don't test them in Key west... corrosion, and the high salt content will give you false numbers. Test them in Alaska, where the fishing is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amy,

I am in Haines, so will be home Wed. and check for care packages!!! Thanks.

Floats are great, but don't test them in Key west... corrosion, and the high salt content will give you false numbers. Test them in Alaska, where the fishing is good.
    Hope they made it! Will consider AK if you are using some of the recipes found in the recipe thread

Have not heard any new rumorings recently but sounds like it might be more likely since a few have heard similar things?
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I have salmon spread in my fridge left by folks that were drag racing here this weekend, extremely tasty! Come on over for dinner.

Second: I have heard from many sources that you have a special on the -18, certified flier; $10,000 for a new one flying...

must be true if more than one source says... but does that include the new Dakota-Bauman float?

I sure hope that these floats find an advocate, they are good for the cub world.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I have salmon spread in my fridge left by folks that were drag racing here this weekend, extremely tasty! Come on over for dinner.

Second: I have heard from many sources that you have a special on the -18, certified flier; $10,000 for a new one flying...

must be true if more than one source says... but does that include the new Dakota-Bauman float?

I sure hope that these floats find an advocate, they are good for the cub world.
    You make a good point.....complete rumor at this point. We hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi from Finland,

Does anybody know, who owns the Baumann inventory and parts nowadays? I need a nose gear hydraulic actuator (made by Bimba) for my Baumann 2750A floats.

Lasse

Post Thanks / Like
    Basler Turbo Conversions, Randy Myers had it last time I talked to them and Good luck in getting anything from them as they are into converting DC-3"s and they don't seem to want to talk peanuts to us in need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lautanal View Post
    Hi from Finland,

Does anybody know, who owns the Baumann inventory and parts nowadays? I need a nose gear hydraulic actuator (made by Bimba) for my Baumann 2750A floats.

Lasse
    If it came from Bimba.. it's probably a stock item available directly from them. Google Bimba and check part number with them.

http://www.bimba.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I believe the earlier floats had Bimba, the later ones something else. I replaced all four of mine on Joe's recommendation with the newer version on Joe's recommendation just before the factory folded. I can measure them up and look for a model number, or if you are really stuck, at least one of mine will be useable. Note, they are not directly replaceable with the newer versions, and the Bimbas are not repairable (from what I can see). Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Bimba's are definitely built strictly as throw aways!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerodon View Post
    Hi, I believe the earlier floats had Bimba, the later ones something else. I replaced all four of mine on Joe's recommendation with the newer version on Joe's recommendation just before the factory folded. I can measure them up and look for a model number, or if you are really stuck, at least one of mine will be useable. Note, they are not directly replaceable with the newer versions, and the Bimbas are not repairable (from what I can see). Don
    Can you check the manufacturer and model numbers of the newer version hydraulic cylinders (both nose and main gear).

Lasse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3072.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	5281

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, no I can only check the model numbers of the older versions as they are out. The new ones are hidden in the floats. As I mentioned they are not directly interchangeable, so unless you can get the parts from the factory, you will have to stick with the bimbas. I have some used ones that may work.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend looking for nose gear for 2500A Baumann
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know of any news of Baumann floats? I was sure they'd be back in business by now. These new carbon fiber float companies are great but, wow, the prices. Douten? Still hoping for my own 1500As
    The aviator formally known as 89.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, last time I contacted Basler (a couple years ago) they were no help so had to build my own tabs for retraction springs. I think someone would have picked them up if the price would have been reasonable, a set was sold in New York ? a couple years ago. Carbon Cub Joe should have bought them now I think they are legal on a T-craft. If you find a set you better jump on them just hope the 11 will have enough power to get them off the water. Wife still thinks they were too expensive But look at what the price is now of the new carbon floats. Hate to see mine hanging up in my hanger after the summer we have had.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are only legal on my Tcraft after 9 months on dealing with the feds. You can buy the whole Baumann product line from the owner for $500,000 otherwise don't call looking for any parts. Right from the "horses mouth". They perform just like the straight floats I removed. 95-100mph. I just had the plane up in the arctic where I discovered some unseen(at the purchase) corrosion that made me take them off for some reskinning. They will be back on next season.

Jim

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wipaire was developing 1450's for the LSA market. I haven't heard anything or gotten any updates on them in quite some time and there isn't any updates on their site as to further developments..

www.wipaire.com/wipline-floats/1450.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Wipaire was developing 1450's for the LSA market. I haven't heard anything or gotten any updates on them in quite some time and there isn't any updates on their site as to further developments..
    I kind of gave up hope last year on these. Didn't hit weight target, so they said. Sounded to me like they gave up on them. I have more hope for Baumann as they already had a great working float.

Post Thanks / Like
    T craft where was the corrosion? these floats are only a few years old so must have been some real abuse or neglect or.....? You were lucky with 9 months! You did use my approval as data I assume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Douten,

I have replace both bottom skins from the step on back. 600 rivets. The floats were stored for 4 years with anti freeze in them and that or the wrong sealant caused corrosion right along the keel. When I bought them, I opened up the front compartments an d they were like new. The outsides were like new. All summer they were dry. I went to northern Quebec (1400 it straight north) at the 1st of August and they started to take on water when I stopped for fuel in Little Wabush Lake in Labrador. The paint was keeping them sealed enough to keep afloat. Got home and found blisters in the paint and cleaned them off to find quarter sized holes. It may have been a Problem caused by the previous owner who only had then on one season, about 30 hours.
    I got them approved by finding the right DER who new what to do to satisfy the Feds. I am lucky I'm an engineer since I had to redraw all the drawings and flight manual supplement. I started the process last September and got them approved May 1. I really like the floats and I'm glad I'm handy with a drill, forming metal abs riveting.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    If it isn't obvious, if anyone knows where a set is, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    I just got this reply from Wipaire: Hi Chris, a number of factors have pulled us in different directions, from medical reform to market status/outlook, and we're currently focusing our R&D efforts on our composite line, so the Wipline 1450 is no longer in development. We certainly won't rule out developing a set of floats for this class of aircraft at a future time, but for now, we are making other investments in future products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TcraftF21 View Post
    You can buy the whole Baumann product line from the owner for $500,000 otherwise don't call looking for any parts. Right from the "horses mouth".
    Jim
    Isn't there someone around here that is out of work and wanting to help out the flying community?? Seems like an opportunity of a lifetime, I'll pledge half the purchase price from Eaton's money

Actually, I would buy some stock to see it move forward, as long as the price is in my range

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nesincg View Post
    I just got this reply from Wipaire: Hi Chris, a number of factors have pulled us in different directions, from medical reform to market status/outlook, and we're currently focusing our R&D efforts on our composite line, so the Wipline 1450 is no longer in development. We certainly won't rule out developing a set of floats for this class of aircraft at a future time, but for now, we are making other investments in future products.
    I looked them over real good at Kosh 2 years ago. They were lite but I didn't feel that the bottom skins were thick enough. I offered the be the test dummy and take them to the Adirondacks and Maine where my EDO 1320s go every year and see how they held up. No joy

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I heard legend copied the Bauman but made them out of carbon fiber.