• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J5 aileron turnbuckle question

scruiser

FRIEND
California
Gentlemen, the following statement was sent to me by a friend in the final stages of restoring a J5.

The existing aileron turnbuckles in the aircraft have a thread of 13/64 by 30 threads per inch.The J-5 parts book calls out a AN130-16S turnbuckle but this has a 10 by 32 thread and smaller fittings that I don't think will accept 1/8 cable with thimble and safety wire.Surely some one in the cub universe has figured this out,maybe you can send out an inquiry. I am missing a turnbuckle end with cable eye measuring .250 ID and having a left hand thread of 30 threads per inch.

Has anybody run into this problem before? 13/64 x 30, what is up with that??
Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks

I can fix this issue in about the time it took both of us to type what we have written here. :)

I've never seen the hardware described.

DAVE

Gentlemen, the following statement was sent to me by a friend in the final stages of restoring a J5.

The existing aileron turnbuckles in the aircraft have a thread of 13/64 by 30 threads per inch.The J-5 parts book calls out a AN130-16S turnbuckle but this has a 10 by 32 thread and smaller fittings that I don't think will accept 1/8 cable with thimble and safety wire.Surely some one in the cub universe has figured this out,maybe you can send out an inquiry. I am missing a turnbuckle end with cable eye measuring .250 ID and having a left hand thread of 30 threads per inch.

Has anybody run into this problem before? 13/64 x 30, what is up with that??
Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks

What did they use to measure the threads?

Yes, I think Ihave run into that, or similar. Is this a turnbuckle that a 10-32 screw threads in about 1/8 to 1/4 and stops? So, they're really close, but not quite? I bought 4 turnbuckles with the "deep" forks for a deal on the Wick's table at show a few years ago (my first mistake). Problem was, it had forks at both ends and I wanted a cable eye at the far end. I had the worst time figuring a replacement for these. Univair wants $40ish+ just for the deep fork into your turnbuckle. (x4) I guess do it. I was going to go for a swaged pin eye cable into the fork for the turnbuckles, but a guy on the field had some antique parts and coincidentally, had my four cable eyes that fit across from my deep forks for this unusual thread set up.

So, either buy a whole new turnbuckle from univair or start searching with the antique guys. incidently, a 1/4(-22) inch turnbuckle is usually called for with 1/8 cable, but piper has used the -16s for years - I think that's what I remember from my research.

Back