• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-3 lands on Mt. Rainier

Neat article, I see the National Parks Service was as much fun to deal with in 1951 as they are today.:evil:

dropping bricks on frozen lakes.

A friend flew with John Hogkins over the sierra nevada. They would dropp a brick ,if it wentthrough the ice, go to another lake. If it bounced, land, tie rope to the tail wheel and tow your friend on the ide. New use for a Cub.

That's a nice website.

I think Hodgkins got off easy with the fine and suspended sentence. Imagine what the SAR cost would be today! Regardless, a great story.

"Although veteran pilots predicted Hodgkin would crash when the Piper Cub’s skis touched down on the grass strip at Spanaway, he made a perfect landing and slid to stop within 25 feet."

So THAT is the trick!

I've landed twice this winter with skis (experimental) on bare grass: zero snow, not even frost. It is a non event, no pitching over at all.

Taking off I did need to borrow enough snow from elsewhere to get about 35' of runway, then once off that and back on the grass I continued to build speed for a normal takeoff. The little bit of snow was absolutely needed as without any I couldn't move at all.
DSC_0753.jpg

Back