• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Tanks in a PA12?

Dan Gervae

FRIEND
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Anyone have a 337 or STC for super cub tanks in a PA12?....There's a guy up here that during annual his IA noticed Supercub tanks in his wings and grounded the plane....I guess he stripped the fabric and the guy is stuck recovering his wings. I don't know this guy personnaly he's a friend of a friend....but it seemed like something could have been done....they stripped fabric off that was less than 10 years old!

Should be able to pull the tanks without taking the fabric out unless there was something else wrong withe the fabric....I'm sure someone has done this before but nobody I know of.

I'd do this in steps
1. Get a new IA
2. Try to get the old one to pay for the damage if he did ripped the fabric off without prior permission from the owner
3. Figure out which tanks you want. Now would be the time to change.
The whole situation sounds like a bummer. I believe I have PA-18 Fuel tanks in my -12. Or maybe I just have the wing root fuel gauges? I'd be happy to share my paperwork if it'd help you out.

The only PA-12 I ever knew that had PA-18 tanks belonged to Gary Landes. I don't know who owns that plane now or whether the old approval would be helpful with the new FA procedures. There must be a way to get it approved and that should be considerably easier for the IA in question to do since he's now opened the wings up for easy inspection.

SB

I don't see a 24 gal. tank on the page Amy posted. Is there such a tank?

Also, are the 23 gal. tanks for a PA 12 drop in, or do you have to modify the wing.

They're termed 24-gallon tanks but placarded for 23. Not sure where the disparity came from, but you'll hear both terms. I should ask where it comes from when I am out at DCA next.

see.... theres an easy add on to your stc to include your 18 gallon tanks, since structural changes to wing are the same other than end rib position and lid....

Will have to check why we didn't do that--might be one of those "who would want 18 when you could have 24?" theories.

Got an answer for the 24- vs. 23-gallon disparity--the STC application said 24, but they actually hold 23.75, so we advertise 23. The part number, you will notice, has a -24G which stands for 24 gallons. Had to pick that stuff out beforehand. So, there's a little curiosity for you!

Amy, do they come with front and back fuel ports and fittings for wing root sight gauges for the headerless fuel system?

Last edited:
Back in the 1980's when I owned a PA12, I visited a guy in Chanhassen MN that was rebuilding a PA 12 and he was putting in 18 tanks---I think it was legal at the time.

I'll have to ask for details...I think the owner allowed the tear down trusting that the IA knew what was up....he did go and pick up the plane in pieces with a trailer and is looking for help recovering his wings from a friend of mine....I just thought I'd do some research to see if maybe this could have been solved with an STC or 337. I'l find out some details. I would have never let the fabric be removed until I knew there was an unsolvable problem I feel bad for this guy. I would like to help him if I can....he's out a considerable sum of money. Sometimes going for an annual can be costly....ouch.

Amy, do they come with front and back fuel ports and fittings for wing root sight gauges for the headerless fuel system?

Sight gauges and front and rear ports yes (99.9% sure; was just looking at the drawing a few weeks ago) but will double-double check in the morning :) I'm learning tons and still need to check to make sure all that info got filed correctly sometimes!

Mike, if I ever figure out how Mark's brain works, I will write a book . . . ;-)

I have a 337 that covers a PA-20 tank in a 12 wing. That is the same tank as a cub except no sight gauges. Let me know if it will do any good or if it's truely "too late". Greg

What is the difference between the -12 tanks and teh -18 tanks. Now I'm curious as to which I have in my -12 I have 18 gallons a side with my gauge in the wing root.

-12 tanks are made from ternplate, soldered and are know to crack. -18 tanks are not. I think the -18 tanks have a different shape, with more rounded corners.

My old PA-12 tanks held 19 gallons per side, as opposed to 18 gallons in the PA-18 tanks. Switched to Dakota Cub wings & tanks that hold 23.7 gallons each.

windy

Hey, that's me. I troll this site regularly and I've asked a question or two already. The fabric was 15 years old. The tanks are atlee dodge PA18 tanks. There was a discrepancy to the STC as they rivited the leading edge wrap instead of using screws. My plan is to put PA12 atlee tanks, screw the wrap, and refabric with the help of some friends. I look forward to meeting you Dan and I appreciate the help. I will be meeting with Dean and Frank today to discuss a plan of action.

Hey Tom, I look forward to meeting you as well....Dean told me what happened...well, as best he could, so I got curious...Bummer....I'll help too if I can. I'm around there quite a bit. We gotta get you flying so we can go have some fun! I'm giving instruction to a guy from Dollar Bay...he just bought an Avid and he'll be in Joe M's hangar. See you there!

Last edited:
The tanks are placarded for a PA18 which I am led to believe have a different twist than the 12 tanks.??? To compensate for the different amount of washout. My washout was somewhere between a 12 and an 18. Closer to specs than others I know of. The stc states you need 3 screws between each rib on the reinforcement aluminum wrap around the leading edge. Mine has rivits.

The tanks are placarded for a PA18 which I am led to believe have a different twist than the 12 tanks.??? To compensate for the different amount of washout. My washout was somewhere between a 12 and an 18. Closer to specs than others I know of. The stc states you need 3 screws between each rib on the reinforcement aluminum wrap around the leading edge. Mine has rivits.
Ah. Thought you meant -18 18 gallon cub tanks in -12. You mean atlee 30 gal tanks? Yes the strips are pop riveted on on those..z

Just curious...why did he say you had to remove all of the fabric....Couldn't you just do the tank area and after you resolve the STC problem recover that portion?...Hope that's not a stupid question.

Back