• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Extra HIGH AFTT? High Time Airframes?

dkozak12

FRIEND
Anchorage, AK
More than 25,000 hours on an airframe? Obviously a lot of time, but I would rather see this than a 1954 with 300TT on it. I have been digging through maint. manuals, books, records etc and can seem to get a good idea of anything special required for high time PA-18 airframes. Anything to be keenly aware of? Can any owner/operators weigh in on this?

THANKS for your wisdom, not just on this post but for the many others I read everyday. I'm convinced this community is filled w/ geniuses.

My first question would be what parts are original? 25000 on a plane that has new wings 300 hours ago, new fuse 500 hours ago is different than all original. Next would be what was it doing for those hours? fish spotting or pipeline patrol landing every 4 hours, or ten minute hops landing on short strips and heavy?

Hours and wear do not equal with different uses if you know what i mean.

Pipeline airplane. Original airframe and wings. Complete rebuild in '97. All new hardware, pulleys, cables, skin, the works. Do you/have you seen any recurring problems with high time super cubs? It seems like meticulous maintenance would make these a good deal...

YOU IN PAJN? Havin a good winter?

I think I remember seeing this airplane on Barnstormers. Sure looked nice in the pictures at least. Pretty attractive price too if I remember correctly.

Im currently looking at a 1980 PA-18A that has 12000 hrs on it. The aircraft was used for fire spotting, so not a lot of take offs and landings. Maintenance during the 12 year period was immaculate, logs all complete. Hasn't flown for two years now and is gathering dust. I have the opportunity to pick the a/c up cheap, is it worth buying? Fabric is average, interior is basic, only rust/corrosion I saw was a little bit of surface corrosion on the ailerons, and the firewall. The rear lower brackets holding the tail brace wires also rusted. what I could see inside the wings and fuse looked very clean.
Can anyone tell me about this particular model supercub? I am going to get a local Cub guy to come and check it out, but would love to hear any other suggestions or advice.

Back