• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Advertising at the Super Bowl

Air Sign is out of FLA. ,we do work for them in Chicago,and Wisconsin. nice flim. my pilots are up there for hours ,lots of time to film.last year one one the kids{young pilots} made a great vidio,need to learn to post. off to fly charter to detroit .wind at 2000ft 55kts should be wild ride.

Last edited:
Are those big banners like that harder to pull than the "put em together" 5' letter ones?? What would that be equal to in number of 5' letters??

CU, IMHO newer billboards in the 35'x100' range tow much nicer than letters, hands down. And Logo boards with letter trailers tow the worst.

Wonder how hard the paperwork/screening was to get permission to fly over Super Bowl?

Are those big banners like that harder to pull than the "put em together" 5' letter ones?? What would that be equal to in number of 5' letters??

I flew stock 150 hp Cubs for years on banner work. I never flew a billboard but the guys that did always came back looking like they’d been through the ringer. On one particular occasion on climb out from launch with my normal length 5 foot letter banner in tow I passed a 180 hp Cub with a billboard. Passed him like he was standing still; must have been 30 mph difference in speed, similar difference in climb rate.

As long as the conditions were good, I started to wonder if there really was a limit to the number of five foot letters I could tow with a stock 150 hp Cub. Seven foot were a different story, I was quite happy when I stopped towing those. Seemed to out of proportion with the difference in size.

As they say, your milage may vary!

Cheers, Andrew.

.....On one particular occasion on climb out from launch with my normal length 5 foot letter banner in tow I passed a 180 hp Cub with a billboard. Passed him like he was standing still; must have been 30 mph difference in speed, similar difference in climb rate.....
As they say, your milage may vary!

Cheers, Andrew.

My mileage varies :)

But of course there are billboards and there are billboards! I will take the average size billboard over letters any day. And of course lets not forget the ground guys, there are good set ups, and there are not so good set ups. Set the average billboard up wrong, and you have just created a 35,000 square foot drogue chute 8)

WHAT! No slits, slats or slots? How'd he do dat?:lol:

Crash

Sorry, I have posted this pic before, but it says alot eh? Take a look at the AOA of the Bird dog (Stearman600) vs the 12 (Rob) Vs the Cub... Too bad we can't see the photo ship, which was a Stinson (slots).

WaMU_multiplane.jpg

My mileage varies :)

But of course there are billboards and there are billboards! I will take the average size billboard over letters any day. And of course lets not forget the ground guys, there are good set ups, and there are not so good set ups. Set the average billboard up wrong, and you have just created a 35,000 square foot drogue chute 8)

Sorry, I have posted this pic before, but it says alot eh? Take a look at the AOA of the Bird dog (Stearman600) vs the 12 (Rob) Vs the Cub... Too bad we can't see the photo ship, which was a Stinson (slots).

[g"]
[/URL]

Cool picture. What are you actually doing there, three planes and one banner or formation banner?

Thanks for the opinion on the billboard; really interesting. I watched my opposition try and pick a billboard one day with an Ag-Cat. Late morning, sunny day, no wind. They flew around for an hour or more in the circuit interspersed with a number of landings and all they managed to achieve was a lot of avgas converted to noise and a pile of tangled fabric.

Cheers,
Andrew.

That's me leading a formation of 4 in the Bird Dog. Very hard to mix different types of planes in formation, especially with banners We flew Super Bowl, and you have to leave any sports event, one hour before game time, Super Bowl even earlier. When I figure out how to do it, I'll post Aviad's Sons of Anarchy banner flights over Sturgis, Rated R (for Rrrrreally big ones) To answer Coyote Ugly, letters and billboards are quite different, but in the end, the bigger it is, the harder it pulls. I've flown a 60 foot high by 120 foot wide on a 600 AgCat. Coincidentally it blew the Super Charger a mile short of Long Beach. I'd just made a comment about not liking to fly over Los Angeles all the time at low altitude, and made it back with my tail very far up between my legs :))

That's me leading a formation of 4 in the Bird Dog. Very hard to mix different types of planes in formation, especially with banners We flew Super Bowl, and you have to leave any sports event, one hour before game time, Super Bowl even earlier. When I figure out how to do it, I'll post Aviad's Sons of Anarchy banner flights over Sturgis, Rated R (for Rrrrreally big ones) To answer Coyote Ugly, letters and billboards are quite different, but in the end, the bigger it is, the harder it pulls. I've flown a 60 foot high by 120 foot wide on a 600 AgCat. Coincidentally it blew the Super Charger a mile short of Long Beach. I'd just made a comment about not liking to fly over Los Angeles all the time at low altitude, and made it back with my tail very far up between my legs :))

Ha! We live in different worlds. When we used to tow around the big rugby matches in New Zealand before they all went to night time, we'd just peel off when we saw the players running out onto the field. If you went there an hour before hand there would be no one there!

That must have been some formation. Did a few banner formations, but not like that. Like I said cool pic! What was the Birddog like for towing, nearly bought a Birddog project once.

Cheers,
Andrew.

So..... Is the infamous Sturgis Banner to be found???? Or is that off-taste for the Super Cub world????.....probably so....it didn't come up on search of Google Images.....

Last edited:
Back