• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

4G Broadband may jam GPS receivers?

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Just saw this on AVweb:

[FONT=&quot]"4G BROADBAND MAY JAM GPS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The GPS industry is warning that a proposed broadband Internet network could effectively jam GPS signals. Further, it says it has data showing that any of the anticipated 40,000 (yes, four zeroes) transmitters can make a Garmin 430 go dark at a range of five miles. GPS World calls the proposal by LightSquared "disastrous" and warns of major problems for all kinds of GPS-reliant devices. The publication says a study (PDF) by GPS-industry stakeholders, including Garmin, determined the LightSquared network "will create a disastrous interference problem for GPS receiver operation to the point where GPS receivers will cease to operate (complete loss of fix) when in the vicinity of these transmitters." That, says the report, "will deny GPS service over vast areas of the United States." The industry told the Federal Communications Commission of the potential problem but the FCC approved the multibillion-dollar effort, which will carry 4G broadband throughout the country. In a podcast interview with AVweb, LightSquared spokesman Jeff Carlisle said the broadband system won't affect properly filtered GPS devices and his company is both mandated (by the FCC) and anxious to work with the GPS industry to identify devices that might be affected."[/FONT]

Anyone have any info to support/refute? I am planning on trading in my droid x for an iPhone4 since Verizon now carries the iPhone.

Randy

can't find the old thread on this....

but it's ongoing... http://www.insidegnss.com/node/3230

LightSquared, FCC Appear to Align on GPS Receiver Standards in Continuing Spectrum Battle

LightSquared asked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to set “operating parameters” leading to “revised technical rules”

Knapp asserted that the LightSquared deal got as far as it did because the commission relied on the manufacturers to bring any interference issues to its attention — and the GPS community had failed to do so until the last minute, he contended.

“Do GPS companies have a duty to design receivers that filter out signals in adjacent bands – yes or no?” Stearns asked Mindel De La Torre, Chief of the FCC’s International Bureau which handled the LightSquared matter. He answered for her, according to the transcript. “Based on your email,” he said, “I would say your answer would be ‘yes.’”

“Wouldn’t you say, based upon what I just said, that this L-band’s going to be in jeopardy of there’s not some type of effort by GPS to make changes to its front-end receiver? Isn’t that true?”
Knapp agreed.

Can't find the thread, either. BUT, the principle in the industry has always been that the last guy to implement something new that causes problems has to fix it himself or go away, not force everyone else to fix their designs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At which point, new receiver standards are usually adopted for new products, but not forcing old designs to be pulled off the market.

Since GPS is a military defense product. The department of defense should have veto powers over the FCC. This smacks of a private enterprise developing a product to ram down the throats of uninformed investors in order to line the pockets of the developers who take the money and run. Leaving a lot of people poorer when the military finally cracks down, shutting it down. To say nothing about a few under the table envelopes to the FCC commissioners. There are going to be a lot of wealthy lawyers.

Since GPS is a military defense product. The department of defense should have veto powers over the FCC. This smacks of a private enterprise developing a product to ram down the throats of uninformed investors in order to line the pockets of the developers who take the money and run. Leaving a lot of people poorer when the military finally cracks down, shutting it down. To say nothing about a few under the table envelopes to the FCC commissioners. There are going to be a lot of wealthy lawyers.

That's almost right. GPS is owned by the US Government. The DOD is the Steward for GPS system. You've got GPS, Glosnas and Galilaeo all in the same frequency band. Yes it was developed for military use 30 years ago but that doesn't give them sole ownership . We use GOS to monitor trains for positive train control and provide timing for everything at the railroad. Navigation is not the largest user of GPS anymore. Providing timing is.

GPS is used to time the frequency of digital bitstreams transmitted between telephone switching centers. RCV and TX must be exactly the same or bits fall on the floor. You'd think the received signal could be used to figure this out, but GPS is how its done. Every GPS satellite has a Stratum 1 cesium clock, so every rural telephone exchange can be one hop from God, not Stratum 4.
With so much riding on GPS I'm amazed at these proposals. There was an internet constellation(bunch of satellites) that was going to interfere, and it was amazing how brazen these promoters are.
Why doesn't the military rise up and smite them? I wonder how much they actually use GPS anymore. After all, the universities and research institutions that started the internet have abandoned it for Internet II.

The FCC is one of the most incompetent government bureaucracies there is.

And, for you folks saying you don’t need a mag compass.......

MTV

I guess the members of the FCC, Ligado and Ligado's investors are not old enough to understand how to operate a tuneable radio. How many hours have they sat in front of a radio turning the tuning knob listening for the best signal only for it to be drowned out by an adjacent signal? This appears to be a group of people using financial pressure to get their own way over the "dead bodies" of those who are already there. Where are the military leaders with their big sticks putting a stop to this?

So this goes back to 2012 and before, when the FCC was trying to create a new competitor to the duopoly we have in cell service. And I was going to blame a Trump toadie. But on the brazen behavior, I was right. They went full nuke with public accusations of conspiracy in 2012 when GPS interference was pointed out.

Back