Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growing Restricted Area's in Alaska and a new point system for draw hunts

Post Thanks / Like

Growing Restricted Area's in Alaska and a new point system for draw hunts

Just wanted to throw out some information I've come across that seems to be coming from legitimate sources on things that could be changing in Alaska in the near future. Both seem to effect the Interior more than other parts of the sate. First off, there is a very real and immenent policy being fought for right now to attach R-2211 (next to Ft. Greely) and R-2202 (Tanana Flats). MOA's aren't too big of a deal but they are also planning to extensively expand those area's as well. Secondly, there has been a push to change to a point system for draw hunts in the state. Right now it is mainly for Delta Bison but there have been some interest in extending it to sheep draws as well. If anyone would like more info on these topics, I will do my best to figure out how to attach some documents that I've come accross. Otherwise you can just do your own research online. I think the point system would be a shame, personally, because it seems to leave out the possibility for kids drawing and doesn't give enough presidence to resident hunters. I'm sure some of the guys putting in for 30 years have different opinions on the matter but in order to keep hunting a part of our traditions up here we gotta get the kids the opportunity to do it. Otherwise interest will fade and extreme environmentalist groups will get their way. I'm all for a point system that gives kids as good or better of a chance as anybody and puts tags in residents hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two years ago, the Montana Legislature mandated big game season open a couple days early for youth hunters only. Evidence that there is still some good legislation coming from the Capitol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the point system would be a shame, personally, because it seems to leave out the possibility for kids drawing and doesn't give enough presidence to resident hunters.
    Shrek, The point system might not eliminate kids drawing if it is a bonus point system. However, if it is a preference point system, that will certainly not help new hunters, but some state with preference points also set aside a small percentage of tags for anyone to draw. If they do indeed change things, lets hope it is a bonus point system, which means everyone still has a chance to draw, but some will have more chances. Preference point means just that, those with the most points get preference.