• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A day of Firsts

AntiCub

North Pole
First flight of my Challenger on Skis
First attempt at making a video
First time landing it at my home airport.
All round a great day!

Camera is a Drift HD170, set at 720 resolution, but severly reduced for posting on Youtube.

Phil

Steve, I'm more concerned with what was rattling so loud it drowned out the engine at times.
I wonder if "Flight of the Bumble Bee" is public domain yet? :p

Doug, it was +5 on the ground. 10 or 15 in the air. I was actually pretty comfortable despite that. The windshield is very effective and there's no noticable wind in the cockpit. Now I just need to find a hand held radio that can be tuned with mittens on.:-?

Phil
Its 15 in Fairbanks to day and 11 in emporia Kansas !!!
Doug​
I know! and I'm stuck in the office instead of out flying. :help

Last edited:
Steve, I'm more concerned with what was rattling so loud it drowned out the engine at times.
I wonder if "Flight of the Bumble Bee" is public domain yet? :p

I couldn't hear what you were talking about with the noise Phil? Do you know the trick with the safety wire through the exhaust springs and then fill springs with high temp RTV (orange stuff)? Pushers are a whole nother deal when it comes to losing stuff. Your lucky to have a cabin. I bought a pack of the cell phone lanyards and clip everything on to the tubes or my neck. Is the noise there on static run up? Another thought is there can be a resonance set up with two bladed prop passing close to trailing edge?? Prop on tight??

qsmx440 if you turn the volume down to where the engine noise is barely audiable you'll hear a rattle. And my exhaust springs are RTV'ed. Sounds like a Rotax B box at idle, but I'm using a belt drive. Only noticable in the air, and I can't hear it myself, so I'm guessing it's something very close to the camera mount. I think if may be the rubber edging on the center fairings rubbing against the wings, that kind of creaks when I shake the plane on the ground.

My mistake. I thought you were hearing it. Camera's and audio inputs hear lots of stuff we don't and it's probably is nothing. So you've flown behind the "B". I really like mine but avoid from idle to about 2200 rpm. Before I engineered a nose wheel brake I had to keep one foot on the ground during warm up. The carbon fiber prop doesn't help what with weighing nothing. I'm curious what your take-off distance is? It looks long. Is that because of the ski's?

My instructor's trike had a B box, I insisted on a C box when I got mine. Can't stand the way they rattle at idle.
The take-off seems a tad long, but if you listen I cruised down the runway at low power for a second before putting in full power. Plus I chose to take off with a slight tail wind rather than take off over the town. I think the skis may have been offering a fair amount of resistance too, snow just ain't very slippery at those temps. I was using nearly 4,000 rpm to taxi.

Back