Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100LL in small gas engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubflier View Post
    Don't use it in a Yamaha EF1000IS generator. The lead coats the inside of the valve guide on the exhaust valve till the exhaust valve can no longer move. This is what's required to get the valve out on a brand new generator after ten hours of use. I have also used 100LL in my Honda EU2000IS for awhile now but not any more.

Jerry
    You are going to have parts left over. It always works that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    Regardless of all this, 100LL killed my Honda 1000. The combustion chamber was not hot enough to scavenge the lead. The lead was all over the piston and exhaust valve, there was no compression.
    Winter must be coming - preheat generator ideas and musings are around again!

Old thread, but still interested - I wonder if running the Honda 1000’s at their higher rpm setting (not ECON) would help the engine to burn off more of the lead instead of depositing it...
    Anyone with thoughts on the matter?
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 10-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never used the economy mode. A 650W heater and two 75W silicone heat pads, pretty much uses up all of the output of the 1000W Honda.

Post Thanks / Like
    A long time ago (mid '60's to later '70's) we used camp and boat generators run on 80/87. Piston aircraft serviced them and extra fuel was always available. Mainly Briggs & Stratton with the occasional Tecumseh engined. They ran at 3600 rpm continuous and the only real issue was spark plug lead or a piece of loose lead under an exhaust valve. Pull the head and wire brush to clean annually. Valves ran well and I don't recall a stuck valve. Sometime in there they switched to 100/130 as IO-520's got popular. The camp genset valve problems started. 100LL was eventually used but with fewer valve or plug problems again (maybe it had more lead scavenger added).

Now with the low speed on demand inverter tech I've had plug fouling with any extended (between oil change)use of 100LL leaded fuel in my small Hondas run at low speed. So yes, I'd run them in non-econ mode for extended use periods with leaded fuel if noise and consumption rates were acceptable. Or, find some TCP or Decalin Runup and add periodically to get minimize deposits.

Gary
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's because we have a lot of jetboats here, but premium unleaded without ethanol is available easily around here. I use that for all small engines and outboards. Absolutely zero problems with fouling or gumming.
    Likes hotrod180, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In most engines today the valve and valve seat metallurgy allows use of unleaded fuels. But it doesn't store as well as 100LL.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I have several classic cars, always use 100LL in them, they run perfectly and the gas does not go bad. Had issues prior with ethanol gas, ate two different fuel lines, no problem since using avgas.
    The old cars need and like a bit of lead for the valve guides too, were made for that. Exhaust is nice and grey, gives off slightly different smell, one can immediately tell it is avgas.
    Just do not put it in any car with catalytics or O2 sensors, they are gone instantly with the lead.
    John